Sets [C14] Commander 2014 Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
same - i didn't think i'd get excited over this batch of Commander cards, but so far it's been raining Christmas presents

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Rough List of Playable cards that profitably eat your lands:

Armageddon, Cataclysm, Impending Disaster, Bend or Break (playable may be used loosely here), Wildfire, Devastating Dreams (might be tough, considering you might not have much left in hand after a 5 drop), Devastating Force, Jokulhaups, Fireblast, Zuran Orb, Mana Vortex, Knight of the Reliquary, Devastating Summons, Small Pox, Pox, Braids, Desolation, Cosmic Larva (lol), Dust Bowl, Edge of Autumn, Ember Swallower, Greater Gargadon, Hammer of Purphorus, Harrow, Crop Rotation, Rushing River, Serendib Djinn, Sylvan Safekeeper, Tectonic Break, Thoughts of Ruin, Kjelojordan Outpost, Lake of the Dead

And maybe a couple more

Rough List of Playable Lands that profitably eat themselves:

City of Traitors, Fetchlands, Basic Fetchlands, Wasteland, Mercadian Masques CC lands, Fallen Empires Saclands, Ghost Quarter, Threshold lands,
Tectonic Edge,

Titania can probably worth completely based on incidental support and is completely insane with a lot of these cards. If you want a swingy 5 drop that isn't Wolfir Silverheart, she's certainly a consideration.

As someone who likes keeping a noticeable dose of '90s Magic in my cube, I'm excited to see Freyalise and Titania in this set. I'm going to try hard to make sure they're also useful.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I have to echo that sentiment. This feels like a set with something for everyone, not just Commander diehards. As someone who built a Titania's Song / Winter Orb / Icy Manipulator prison deck in my second year of high school that eventually became the scourge of the lunchroom, it's really cool to see these characters finally given their due.

Yeah, Freyalise and Teferi were sweet choices for planeswalkers. The fact that we're probably not going to get any other real old-school planeswalkers is sad. It'll make it easier not to buy all five decks, though.

the black deck looks sick though, maybe I'll just keep making my own leshrac's and tevesh tzats and sending them into rosewater till he hires me lol.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This looks like a lot of fun.

Titania, Protector of Argoth {3}{G}{G}
Legendary Creature - Elemental

When Titania, Protector of Argoth enters the battlefield, return target land card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Whenever a land you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a 5/3 Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

5/3

y'all need to stop hating on my boy now

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
While I was making my list of effects that work with her, when I got to gargadon I started cracking up at the thought .

On a related note, he's also pretty good with reef worm.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think expecting these to be exciting in cube and balanced as commanders at the same time is pretty unrealistic.

I take back everything I said!

Daretti.jpg

They are totally supporting my the artifact theme I run in my cube in this set. Looks like I need to get this after all :D

Scrap Mastery.jpg

Heck yes! Living Death for artifacts, how super, super awesome is that!

Holy fuck. That planeswalker gets more awesome every time I look at it. It's totally replacing Koth of the "deal with me now or die a slow and painful death" Hammer!

Any heavy artifact themed cube should love him. He does everything red wants to do with artifacts. Puts them in the graveyard, grabs them back, & makes them recyclable.

I like him. Even though this could have easily been Slobad instead. I thought planeswalking sparks were extremely rare? Does meeting certain MtG tropes increase your odds of having a spark? Like being a trinket-loving goblin or something?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
!

Flamekin Village
Land
As Flamekin Village enters the battlefield, you may reveal an Elemental card from your hand. If you don't, Flamekin Village enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add
r.gif
to your mana pool.
r.gif
, tap: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that land is also made of win.

Even though this could have easily been Slobad instead. I thought planeswalking sparks were extremely rare? Does meeting certain MtG tropes increase your odds of having a spark? Like being a trinket-loving goblin or something?

Apparently Slobad was a planeswalker for all of 5 minutes. I think WotC likes their planeswalkers a little bit more permanent fixtures. No doubt this isn't the last we've seen of Daretti. He reminds me of that guy in Morrowind by the way, the last dweomer, with the mechanical spidery legs.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
So the stoneforge mystic is a planeswalker now?

635501729662040401.png

Unfortunately as someone who runs artifacts on a purely "as needed" basis, the last two planeswalkers missed my mark completely. The goblin dude does seem sweet, though.

From a flavor perspective, happy to see the lithomancer. Sad to see they didn't use her for any good storytelling in an actual set. She seems good in an artifact heavy cube. Decent in any cube with good equipment options. The red planeswalker is by far the best one.

flamekinvillage.jpg

As Flamekin Village enters the battlefield, you may reveal an Elemental card from your hand. If you don't, Flamekin Village enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add R to your mana pool.
R, T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.

So 2 more mana to give anything haste?