Sets [C19] Commander 2019 Previews, Spoilers, Leaks, Leeks, and General Tomfoolery

Dom Harvey

Contributor
EBdsZlQWkAE7gnz

I can't wait to do some messed up shit with this and Noose Constrictor

wildfiredevils.jpg

They choose, but you cast it for free?
I don't know if this is broken

It is not only them choosing.

It is they/you choose. The first thing to note is that it triggers both on ETB and each upkeep: Pretty cool. Then a player at random gets selected. Fifty % chance of that being you. Then the selected player exiles a thing. Then you choose if you wish to cast that spell for free or not.

It seems very, very dangerous. But also only 2 toughness.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It is not only them choosing.

It is they/you choose. The first thing to note is that it triggers both on ETB and each upkeep: Pretty cool. Then a player at random gets selected. Fifty % chance of that being you. Then the selected player exiles a thing. Then you choose if you wish to cast that spell for free or not.

It seems very, very dangerous. But also only 2 toughness.

Good lord that's weird. My gut says no, but maybe someone can convince me

Wildfire Devils too strong. Seriously.

Bone Miser also looks too strong in a cube having lots of discard outlets that don't have any further restrictions attached to them (e.g. addditional mana cost).

The new sweeper looks interesting but might also end up too strong in the right deck. Hand size matters is interesting, though, and looks like it could have a lot of play to it.

Chainer looks lovely. It's giving all creatures in your hand haste, or it's an Undertaker without having to tap or mana restrictions, that also grants haste to the cards you get back from the yard. Might look very strong at first glance, but I find it to be very interesting, as I also considered adding Back from the Brink.

Altisaur is a ramp target, too. I think I want to cube with this one.

uk65por.jpg

I don't run RB, but this seems like a really interesting anchor in BR madness!

This makes me want to turn R/B back into primarily a Discard deck...
...More than Anje already did!
EBdsZlQWkAE7gnz

I can't wait to do some messed up shit with this and Noose Constrictor

I'm putting this in my cube for sure. Black 5s are getting better by the second... :p

Maybe the next step will be full art nontoken cards? I'm mean there's not much frame left anyway and you can communicare the colors easily with the bars and pinlines.

Includes:

Elsha of the Infinite & Backdraft Hellkite for Jeskai Prowess

Chainer, Nightmare Adept for Reanimator etc.

Apex Altisaur for Reanimator & Ramp

Wildfire Devils

I expect this one to be time consuming but a lot of fun for both players. I also expect some incredible unlikely games to happen with this guy on the board that will make the crowd go wild.

That is it for me.

krriksonofyawgmoth.jpg

I wanted to write a little about K’rrik’s lore for you guys but then I looked up some of the details and saw that Wikipedia had the same story that I remember but in more details. I thought you guys might want the extended version.

“He crashed on the Tolarian beach with his ship, and was found and rescued by a young Jhoira. Jhoira was fond of contemplating the ocean and thinking of Shiv. She longed for a strong man like the ones in her tribe of Ghitu. Kerrick was not like the immature boys who roamed the Academy's walls (like Teferi, the magical prodigy who had a crush on Jhoira). Jhoira built a small house on the beach for herself and Kerrick. She was unaware that he was a Phyrexian sleeper agent. At night she would sneak from the academy to visit her secret guest, her secret lover.

Saboteur
One night, Karn, the silver golem, and also Jhoira's only true friend, was wandering about the beach while having been sent back in time a few hours in one of Urza's (here known as Master Malzra) time-traveling experiments. Karn discovered Kerrick and Jhoira but promised to tell no one about them. On another such voyage to the near past, Karn discovered Kerrick stealing blueprints from Urza's lab, and so he followed him, taking advantage of the fact that he was unphased with this "past" world (a side effect of the time machine). Karn followed Kerrick through the secret passage that Jhoira used to sneak out of the Academy. Kerrick unknowingly led Karn into a secret Phyrexian meeting in the woods, where Karn overheard the Phyrexian's plans of invading the Academy.

When Karn returned to the present, he quickly attempted to warn Urza, but it was too late, for the attack was already upon them. Kerrick had brought Phyrexian negators into the Academy. The negators began slaughtering students and teachers alike. Karn fought his way to Jhoira's room, where he found her body covered in blood on the ground. Karn then fought and slew Jhoira's killer, a negator. After killing the negator, Karn returned to Urza and suggested using the time machine to prevent the attack. Urza agreed and sent Karn back in time once more, even though the time machine was near an overload.

Karn was successful in catching the past Kerrick, even breaking his leg in the process. However, Karn was suddenly and forcefully pulled into the present. The time machine had overloaded and malfunctioned. The time machine was casting arcing rays of temporal energy and was instantly aging parts of the lab into dust. Then the machine exploded and caused the great temporal disaster in Tolaria. Urza, using his planeswalker powers, quickly petrified the students and staff closest to him (14 total, including Barrin) and planeswalked away to safety.

Lord of the fortress
Urza, after returning 10 years later, found that Kerrick, the sleeper agent, had survived the anomaly. Kerrick, along with other phyrexians, was trapped in a fast-time rift. In this fast-time rift Kerrick had constructed an enormous Phyrexian fortress and army. Kerrick renamed himself to K'rrik and became the lord of that fortress. From inside this rift he grew his army and devised ways to attack Urza and his team, who were rebuilding the Academy.“

Also K’rrik was never a son of Yawgmoth per se. Not like we think of it. It was a title he gave himself because he thought he deserved it as a lord and since all Phyrexian was now all sons of Yawgmoth basically because Yawgmoth was the entire Phyrexia at the end. Here’s the invasion:

A70FEC4C-B59D-40ED-8B94-3B909AB6615C.jpeg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not quite sure how he's phased out in one trip to the past, a side effect of the time traveling device, then breaks Kerrick's leg on another trip to the past, apparently unhindered by being phased out :') Still enjoyable to read some tidbits on one of the legends :)

I've just gone over the entire spoiler list of new cards and I think the only cares interested in are:

chainernightmareadept.jpg
doomedartisan.jpg

idolofoblivion.jpg

Chainer is a really interesting card, I could see some cool interactions with Gravecrawlers and any additional reanimation you might want to do beyond its activated ability. The only problem I have is that it seems a little flimsy as a 3/2 played on curve. You need to follow this up with something really big on 5, like a hasty God-Eternal Bontu or something. Also the Rakdos section of my cube is pretty packed nowadays so it'll be tough to make cuts and find room. I am going to buy that deck however, so I might just give him a run sometime and see what happens.

I think the Artisan is more cute than good, but I can't get over how quickly it can built up a board in very little time. It's not a card that your opponent will want to spend removal on, but once it has made two bodies on board it's already put in a ton of work for you. Again, the issue is finding space in the cube as white 3 drops might actually be the most stacked slot (aside from green 3s) nowadays. I think it's definitely cool and I'm all for more token/artifact support whenever we get it.

The artifact is interesting to me, even if it is a bit narrow. I could see it being a crazy card advantage engine in the right type of deck, but I need to re-evaluate and see just how many ways I have to generate tokens before including it.

What do we think about this guy? Playable, interesting, boring, too much stat for too little mana or a cool build around where you gotta make the biggest and baddest token possible? I know I'm building him for EDH but he's been running round my head in cube context as well for the last week.

What do we think about this guy? Playable, interesting, boring, too much stat for too little mana or a cool build around where you gotta make the biggest and baddest token possible? I know I'm building him for EDH but he's been running round my head in cube context as well for the last week.

I think "boring" is the correct answer for this guy. It's just a stats monster that can run away with a game without any substance save for some tokens/blink support. I think it's too hard to do anything cool with as far as cube is concerned.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't think boring is the answer, as you can get pretty clever with populate and different kinds of tokens. Let me ask you though, how many five drops do you currently run that attack for 10 on the next turn? I mean, my current most efficient five drop is Neheb at 4/6 (which admittedly would be a good blocker against this card), which is a far cry from the 10/12 in stats Ghired creates if it gets to attack even once, never mind if you actually run ways to give it haste in your cube. I'm frankly shocked they printed this at five mana. It seems waaaaaay undercosted for what it does, and it's a definite skip for me for that reason.

I think he's just a stat monster and he's obviously pushed for multiplayer. I guess it's cool if you aren't playing any cool cards in Naya, but then I'd ask why you haven't submitted to Zacama, Primal Calamity yet? It's a three-headed dinoasur that smashes face and does other stuff too. The one true answer for all your Naya needs.