General CBS

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
My cousin just lived with me for three weeks, and it turns out he's a kitchen table magic player. So I threw together a couple decks and we jammed. I finally got to play with two cards I've owned forever and never used:

They were awesome! Both very powerful. Genju was quite a bomb.

On the other hand, I greatly disliked these for taking the fun out of a couple games:

I might forgive Angel of Serenity if her art was actually a serene looking angel.

Speaking of golems, does Conversion Chamber suck?

Thanks for the reminder about the obelisk. Yeah, I think conversion chamber probably does suck. Might be okay if you have a lot of proliferate?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I... I got to D in the card file at the bottom, but I don't know if I want to read any further...

This set is going to shake up Commander real good though o_O

Oh God.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide
3BGU
Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
6/6
During each of your turns, you may play up to one permanent card of each permanent type from your graveyard. (If a card has multiple permanent types, choose one as you play it.)

I'm really excited about a lot of the cards here. Now my fingers are crossed for good art.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I couldn't contain myself... There is a lot of cards I like, and I'm not even through the whole thing... Bunch of really sensible changes as well, I love that they are changing "he or she" to "they" as it's way cleaner. I'm neutral about abolishing the term "mana pool", but it does save space. Embelishing legendary cards could be fun, just like planeswalkers have that little extra because their art can pop out of the frame, giving legendary card frames a little flourish makes them pop out more from "regular" cards.

Jodah, Archmage Eternal
1URW
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
4/3
Flying
You may pay WUBRG rather than pay the mana cost for spells that you cast.

This is really fun with the new commander rules. Your lands can actually add any color of mana nowadays, you just can't have lands outside your color identity in your deck. Cards like City of Brass, however, are fair game. This means you can actually use this as your commander and go to town with rainbow lands and mana rocks!

Makeplayingcards.com. That wont print the actual card back and it can't have the copyright line. Brightened the images a bit first, as instructed by a guy on Reddit. Quality is good. I did 300gsm paper. Supposedly the 330gsm is a little nicer. I believe a real card is 310-320. These will be double sleeved and be indistinguishable. Pricing is good.

Sylan Mentor I believe I stole from from Chris. Burning Vision I started at 1R instand and Ond recommended R sorcery. Volatile Goo was designed by a guy on Reddit. Prettly sure the rest are all mine. Steadfast Hero may have been Chris? No idea.

Card frame is a guy on Reddit. Mostly used that because it's the only HD frame I can find for MSE. I'm thinking I'll switch to MTG.design.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Makeplayingcards.com. That wont print the actual card back and it can't have the copyright line. Brightened the images a bit first, as instructed by a guy on Reddit. Quality is good. I did 300gsm paper. Supposedly the 330gsm is a little nicer. I believe a real card is 310-320. These will be double sleeved and be indistinguishable. Pricing is good.

Sylan Mentor I believe I stole from from Chris. Burning Vision I started at 1R instand and Ond recommended R sorcery. Volatile Goo was designed by a guy on Reddit. Prettly sure the rest are all mine. Steadfast Hero may have been Chris? No idea.

Card frame is a guy on Reddit. Mostly used that because it's the only HD frame I can find for MSE. I'm thinking I'll switch to MTG.design.

I'm trying to figure out the pricing on this site. Did you pay like$10 per card?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I cut Living Death from my cube long ago. Was that a mistake?

I love living death but dear lord is it a blow out. It's a great card to build your deck around, and if the opponent knows it's coming, that should help them a little. But yeah it's often a one-sided wrath that gives you a bunch of guys. Still, I love it.