General CBS

Can you explain this using different words than the ones you already used?

I am not sure I quite understand. What is the problem with the sideboard cards and the sleeves?

Thank you <3

They frequently get mixed into the deck, they require a surprising amount of extra thinking by both players to understand the board state at any time (especially with multiple token types, which is common), they're easy to mistake for your hand or the person next to you's hand, and they make a visually messy board.

It's simply not a pleasant play experience imo. It works, and it's honestly fine - I fully acknowledge I'm being dramatic and this hasn't caused many issues that couldn't be resolved nearly immediately -- but gameplay feels so much tighter and proper all around with the physical tokens being called for that are easily distinguishable, tappable, etc.

They frequently get mixed into the deck, they require a surprising amount of extra thinking by both players to understand the board state at any time (especially with multiple token types, which is common), they're easy to mistake for your hand or the person next to you's hand, and they make a visually messy board.

It's simply not a pleasant play experience imo. It works, and it's honestly fine - I fully acknowledge I'm being dramatic and this hasn't caused many issues that couldn't be resolved nearly immediately -- but gameplay feels so much tighter and proper all around with the physical tokens being called for that are easily distinguishable, tappable, etc.
I see. But what does tokens have to do with sideboard cards?

Lots of people just take their SB cards and turn them over and play them as tokens.
Ooooooooooh so THAT'S what I didn't catch.

I have never seen anyone do that in my life. I've seen people use die for tokens. Is it a common thing for people at your place to use sideboard cards as tokens? Not only speaking to Sigh here.

It's rarely if ever come up for me. I supply tokens, dice, marbles, coins, and a variety of other objects for my players to use according to their preference.

Ooooooooooh so THAT'S what I didn't catch.

I have never seen anyone do that in my life. I've seen people use die for tokens. Is it a common thing for people at your place to use sideboard cards as tokens? Not only speaking to Sigh here.
Yes, we also do this. It is easier this way to indicate what is tapped and what isn’t.

Reactions: dbs
I knew a guy who swore by using two dice for every pile of tokens.

The first die recorded how many untapped tokens there were in that pile. The second die recorded how were tapped.

He never gave me a satisfactory answer to the whole "what if someone bumps some of the dice?" issue.

The first die recorded how many untapped tokens there were in that pile. The second die recorded how were tapped.

He never gave me a satisfactory answer to the whole "what if someone bumps some of the dice?" issue.
I would guess you create another pile.
We tried using three dice. One for power, one for toughness and another one for the number of tokens. You can put these piles on a card and then tap it.
Of course we used to play Warhammer 40K, so every one of us owns 30+ six sided dice.
I gather that‘s probably not practical for most groups.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

I actually do something similar. I grab one token card, then use white dice to indicate the number of untapped creatures for that token, and grey dice to indicate the number of tapped creatures. The upside is that this uses a very small amount of real estate, the downside is that this gets messy once someone starts putting +1/+1 counters on their tokens.

But having 5 premier sets is a one time thing, next year there will be 4 only, like forever. So I'll just enjoy the intensive innistrad months.
That means we are gonna skip spoiler seasons for „Commander Legends - Baldur‘s Gate“ and „Jumpstart 22“ and „Double Masters 2“ and“Unfinity“ and „Warhammer 40K Commander“?
Seriously is there a month between spoilers next year? Probably not.

What the Deck is now live with Self-Discard vs. Self-Sacrifice

What the Deck is often a good time to find inspiration for some wacky cube-themes or mini themes in your cube. Or sometimes even a rare but cool interaction between two or three cards.

Last edited:
Yeah, that guy was or is a hero for this niche community. I hope he'll do well.

I've started with magiccards.info and cubetutor, now things are different.