General CBS

I'm serious. I make white removal and green ramp enchantment based and people wanting those things will have a bunch of synergistic enchantments before they realize.

Regarding green:

There is also some tech to get enchantments into the graveyard for Replenish and Starfield of Nyx, like Vessel of Nascency and Commune with the Gods.

I'm exploring making green ramp about the relationhip between things that untap lands and enchanting lands so they give more than one mana, instead of just ramping with creatures. This, of course, blends ramp with enchantress. There aren't that many efficient creatures or enchantments, but it's something to start. I'll be testing Overgrowth and maybe even Wolfwillow Haven. Maybe even reach to Alpha Guard. A shame Trace of Abundance gives shroud and prevents the land from being untapped this way, it's in relevant colors.

Relevant untappers I run are Arbor Elf, Voyaging Satyr, the mentioned Earthcraft and Candelabra of Tawnos. Quirion Ranger can help with reusing untappers and squeezing a bit more mana with no lands in hand. bouncelands also help. Maaybe Hope Tender is not bad. Then there's a bunch of Voyaging Satyrs at three mana, the most interesting of which could be Krosan Restorer, but yeah, three mana. There's also Sculptor of Winter, but snow, and the mentioned Alpha Guard, but weird and I run mostly cards in Spanish, which could confuse more enfranchised players and would make me have to think what languages I provide basic lands in. The rules are that for Un- games the names of cards are the printed names, but who would know that beforehand. Oh, the things we have to deal with when designing cubes with existing cards.

Sorry for diverging the conversation to another color and not really addressing the question, but I take the opportunity to talk about this approach to ramp.

Cool stuff! I already was noticing the lands matter wanting to blend into blue. I like how the Vizier reads but I am afraid of the other untapping stuff being narrow outside of a dedicated "concentrate-mana" deck. I had noted Lotus Field but then totally forgot about it. Decks in testing seem not to go very big with mana, but to concentrate enough mana in few lands and to use the rest for stuff like Hammer of Purphoros, Ayula's Influence, Molten Vortex/Seismic Assault, Living Twister, etc. But you could instead go big and cast a huge Red Sun's Zenith, of course.

My cube is this one, but since I am currently testing changes the most updated list is this one here, which will be unstable until I set on the final list.

Would also love to see how you approach this in Temur if you have a list somewhere.

List is here (still very rough)
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/rxsi

It’s pretty high powered and I want combo to be part of the environment. Mana doublers (Mana Flare) act as redundant pieces for the land auras.

I hadn’t thought about using a limited amount of lands (thanks to your untappers) to transform excess lands into other ressources (creatures, burn), that’s neat. I’ll be checking out your list, thanks!

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, there's also those symmetrical mana doublers, I'm a bit scared of them but maybe giving it to your opponent doesn't matter as much if you are going to exploit it better and there's sideboarding if it doesn't go well in a match.

I'm still not sure it plays well in regards to power level against other decks but it is a puzzle to solve that can go off. I test by playing on Forge against bots, which is something but not the best, of course.

Sorry! I keep forgetting that removal tribal isn't just a joke name for control. :p

---

I think your power levels are too high for the sweetest land untapper:

The card is basically just "What if Satyr Wayfinder was also Lotus Cobra?". It's capable of creating absolutely filthy amounts of mana. How filthy?

This is a plausible curve:

T1: Forest, Arbor Elf
T2: Forest, Utopia Sprawl, Stone-Seeder Hierophant
T3: Forest, Primal Surge

Last edited:
Sorry! I keep forgetting that removal tribal isn't just a joke name for control. :p

---

I think your power levels are too high for the sweetest land untapper:

The card is basically just "What if Satyr Wayfinder was also Lotus Cobra?". It's capable of creating absolutely filthy amounts of mana. How filthy?

This is a plausible curve:

T1: Forest, Arbor Elf
T2: Forest, Utopia Sprawl, Stone-Seeder Hierophant
T3: Forest, Primal Surge
ooh i would run this at 1G i think

{1} {G} would be absurd, and not even in a fun way.

T1: Forest, Utopia Sprawl
T2: Land, SSH, hold up some one-mana protection spell.
T3: Land, play an 8-drop.

Making it cost {2}{G} is probably the sensible approach.

How good are the CLB adventure guys like Crystal Dragon, Guardian Naga, Sword Coast Serpent, etc? They look sweet as an early play and a late lite-bomb in something kinda low-mid powered.

DMU had white as a "go wide" theme. If you had to choose a different theme for this super shallow color, what might you choose?

My starter set is very, very low power and I like cards like this. I don’t run all these because the Naga ended up being a Disenchant I didn’t want for early tournament games and the 7 mana bomb is actually not impressive even in low power. Please try out the other two.

Last edited:
How good are the CLB adventure guys like Crystal Dragon, Guardian Naga, Sword Coast Serpent, etc? They look sweet as an early play and a late lite-bomb in something kinda low-mid powered.
They're good, but they play differently from the Eldraine adventures. The adventures in Throne of Eldraine usually have two low-cost halves that can be reasonably cast as both adventures or just creatures. By contrast, all of the Adventure creatures in Battle for Baldur's Gate cost 4 or more mana to cast in creature mode. They play like low-cost spells that draw you a mid-tier big thing as opposed to modal cards.

I've definitely enjoyed some of the Baldur's Gate adventures in my Battle Box, primarily Sword-Coast Serpent and Blessed Hippogriff. However, if I were including these cards in my Cube, I would come in with the expectation that they don't play the same as the first batch of Adventure cards from Throne of Eldraine. These new cards might use the Adventure mechanic, but they are not balanced for similar outcomes as the originals.

Note to self:
b381d3c4-b318-4dff-a214-8a16a3872107.jpg
de4b75ad-7539-4184-a940-6014a0327b3a.jpg
I really wish they would finish the Grove of the Burnwillows cycle so I can put Punishing Fire in my Cube and not have it be worse Twin Bolt.

It’s not a cycle though. Just a card.

They specifically chose Gruul to get a ABUR dual land with almost no downside because in Gruul giving life points away is a downside. Imagine one of these in Azorius :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm with vel here. another 9 Groves is dubious at best.
And like, do you really want buyback shock in your limited format? Does that do good things?

While I think that fears of the Punishing Fire + Groves synergy are a bit overblown, I agree that making it a full cycle would be a bit much.

I kinda want a black one, though, to combo with Needlebite Trap.

It’s not a cycle though. Just a card.

They specifically chose Gruul to get a ABUR dual land with almost no downside because in Gruul giving life points away is a downside. Imagine one of these in Azorius :p
If you had said this 16 years ago when these cards debuted, I would have agreed. However, since they're continuing to finish the Horizon Canopy cycle in supplemental sets, and have already finished the Graven Carins cycle, I think Burnwillows is not an unreasonable request. The cycle will always be worse than the ABR Duals, Fetches, and Shocks by virtue of not having basic land types, even if they have some fun synergies built in other cards can leverage,

And like, do you really want buyback shock in your limited format? Does that do good things?
It's a cool slow shell. {1}{R}{R} to net 1 damage on the opponent or kill some random utility//aggro creature doesn't seem strong enough to be particularly frustrating in a fast format.

"they" dont want you to know this, but... theyre not the only ones who can finish that cycle for you...
Damn I should look into that...