General CBS

Yeah, kinda same. Most of my friends don't really enjoy cube, and if I can't play the best part about Magic then why play at all? I'll still probably pop in every now and again, but eh, time to write that TTRPG I guess.

I honestly think I'm done with Magic. I was starting to get back into things because one of my coworkers is getting into playing and I thought it might be fun to play in paper again for a change... but I just can't justify my emotional investment in Magic to myself anymore. It's been a good run (off-and-on interest since Lorwyn block and continuous interest from Kalidesh), but I think it's time for me to move on.
I'm letting it play out. I was excited for Foundations because they're kinda classic designs, but having it come with and increase in UB garbage is a real bummer.

I thought it was already known that the Marvel sets were going into Standard.
Entering through standard is extremely good. The marginal number of people it upsets is close to zero, because so few people play standard.
Except, you know, the millions of players on Magic arena.
Win for everyone else, too, because it means fewer new UB cards are going to be designed purpose-made for eternal formats.
Unless you prefer the power level of standard sets, setting aside that this probably means more UB sets overall, and doesn't even necessarily mean there will be fewer of them to begin with considering several of them are made for commander.
Not necessarily a hater, but it really is a sign of the times that we're so extremely deep in "thing you know" being a requirement for so much games and media being made
Which isn't really limited to UB, most magic sets these days is limited to "Pop culture references you know" and "Legendary creatures you know". At this point I don't really particularly care about UB coming to standard, if the alternative is Lazav with a setting appropriate costume then it might as well be Cloud and Sephiroth instead, whatever, I can retheme either.

Which isn't really limited to UB, most magic sets these days is limited to "Pop culture references you know" and "Legendary creatures you know".
fwiw I do think they said they might have gone a little far on this one with OTJ - like they acknowledge that it was very "EVERYONE IS HERE"

though I can't find the thing where MaRo said so on his tumblr

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do you think both of them will quit magic forever?
Like Mown said, it's a super popular format on Arena. Lots of people create content for Standard online as well. I don't think this is the end for me. It only changes the looks, and I don't really care about the looks. The actual gameplay is still super sweet, so I'll keep enjoying that, regardless of whether I have to attack with a made up in-universe character or SpongeBob SquarePants.

I don't think this kills magic for me since I think my investment in cube will stay exactly as its been, but the stakes here are basically "how much fun is it to keep up with new magic releases and the game as a whole instead of just doing my thing" and we are rapidly approaching "not fun at all and not worth it".