General CBS

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Ok, I am totally tempted. Those things are beautiful. I need more details!

How many double-sleeved cards does it hold?
Are those dividers movable?
Where did you guys order it from?

Ok, I am totally tempted. Those things are beautiful. I need more details!

How many double-sleeved cards does it hold?
Are those dividers movable?
Where did you guys order it from?
It should be able to hold 600-700 double-sleeved, I would say (maybe even a bit more). The dividers are made of the same material as the box and are simply rectangles--completely movable. Mine was $80.

Links:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/185191...g+box&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
http://designcraftindustries.com/

Yep, that's the same exact place I got mine. Followed the etsy post to their main site and sent them a custom order via email. Talked with the guy in charge about a custom order for a couple of days and they had it done and shipped to me within two weeks.

Eric, they have boxes on the site without engravings for much cheaper, but I think it's around $20 more for a custom engraving if you want one. As long as you can email them a picture that's black with a white background, they'll engrave whatever you want on the top of the box. I got an extra two inches added to the length of the box for like $2 more.

And yeah, it can hold a ton of cards. I have my entire cube + lands sections double-sleeved (still kinda airy due to new sleeves) along with a section of about 80 tokens. So I'd say it could hold about 600 double-sleeved cards with no issues. The block dividers are included with the box and can be moved around very easily. I definitely recommending picking one of these up, high quality box and they look fantastic!

While we're on the topic of supplies (I know there is a 'supplies' thread but this is already being talked about so why not?) what kind of stuff do you guys use for keeping life? Pen and paper is fairly cumbersome for some casual cubing, and no one really likes using their phones either. Dice get rolled around (table-slapping may or may not be a thing here) and people want a physical reminder while they're in the tank. The standard around here has been vertical cards for 5s and horizontal cards for 1s using your sideboard, but I want something a little more substantial. Any testimonials? Locals have suggested these things to me:
91PM3THQCUL._SY355_.jpg

There are two dials that stay firmly in-place on both sides, they range 1-30. They run roughly $10 a pop, though, and while I'm heavily in favor of this kind of thing the locals wouldn't appreciate such loose life-keeping in "real" tournaments, so I'd only get mileage out of my cube. (That thing says 450 yen, doesn't it? That's only five bucks, jeez)
*peruses young pyromancer foil price*
It's... it's gone. Someone bought ALL the foil young pyromancers?? Even on eBay?!?!
Look now, folks

I only use pen and paper if it's like a GP or PTQ. This is what I use:
Island%20Life%20Counter%20-%20Small.jpg

(Ron Spencer art)

The brand is Toy Vault, and I strongly recommend it. Their website doesn't seem to function anymore, but you can find some on Amazon for like $5 a piece.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've got a little deckbox I've filled with a pile of cube vault D6's and 8 D20s for life.

Small aside: the prerelease dice for Kahns look sweet. The sultai one is this really nice purple, and the font is much nicer than before

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've been using this thing at FNMs and cube drafts since 2008:

074427818451.jpg

It's thinner than the one you showed, and whereas yours 'clicks' every time you move it up or down a life, this one doesn't. I still love it, though - mine is all worn and faded, but I hope I can use it for another six years.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
We use small d6's over here. Five each for the poker roll to determine who can choose draw or go, then four on 5 for starting life.

most locals use the 20 sided spindowns generally. i prefer phone or tablet, partially because i tend to keep track of my opponent's life and my phone actually has a history of changes so there's no "whoops we missed something maybe but what was it"

VibeBox

Contributor
sooooo i know yall tried a rotating "past chaos standard" type format

thought some of you might want to know that the SA goons are actually running one that's actually being played

The Past Past League
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663874&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

it just rotated to include the following:
m13
m15
Odyssey block
alara block

<hint><hint>this is a good opportunity to have a presence and draw posters, go play some PPL<hint><hint>

VibeBox

Contributor
here's some decks i brewed for their post rotation format

Grixis Control

3 CounterSquall
2 Terminate
2 Mutilate
4 Duress
3 Circular Logic
4 Flame Burst
4 Cabal Ritual
3 Burning Wish

3 Gilded Lotus

3 Cruel Ultimatum
1 Time Stretch

2 Nicol Bolas

2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Drowned Catacomb
4 Tainted Peak
4 Tainted Isle
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Crumbling Necropolis
7 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Island

SB:
1 Time Stretch
1 Cruel Ultimatum
1 Terminate
1 Circular Logic
1 Countersquall
1 Mutilate

AJundi Vengeant

3 Path to Exile
4 Flameburst
2 Farseek
3 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Blightning

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Bloodbraid Elf

3 Ajani Vengeant
4 Elspeth, Knight Errant

4 Exotic Orchard
4 Savage Lands
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Nantuko Monestary
1 Petrified Field
1 Riftstone Portal

(Pretty sure this deck should have more creatures. maybe putrid leech, maybe a couple Thundermaw Hellkite. didn't finish the mana, plenty of ways to go)

SB:
4 Seedtime
2 Anathamancer
4 Groundseal

thetroopsRjerks.dec (hatebears)

4 Grim Lavamancer
3 Phyrexian Revoker / Ravenous Rats
3 Quasali Pridemage
2 Meddling Mage
4 Mesmeric Fiend
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Bloodbraid Elf

3 Living Wish
4 Flame Burst

4 Ancient Ziggurat

SB:
1 Meddling Mage
1 Quasali Pridemage
1 Phyrexian Revoker / Ravenous Rats
3 Reclamation Sage

Little Kid Standstill

2 Elvish Mystic
4 Noble Heirarch
4 Nimble Mongoose
3 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
3 Knight of the Reliquary

3 Sublime Archangel

4 Elspeth, Knight Errant

3 Path to Exile
3 Standstill
4 Circular Logic

4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Nantuko Monestary
3 Plains
1 Island
10 Forest

pretty sure there was a strong hunting grounds deck to be had when gitaxian probe and other free spells were around, not so sure now.

grixis might need some card draw in there somewhere. sign in blood, concentrate, or jace's ingenuity.

lapse of certainty might be better than circular logic in little kid

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Martell's deck seemed really loose to me; it draws a bunch of cards but most of those cards are more ways to draw cards, its kill is elaborate and takes a long time to set up, and it's hard for him to go toe-to-toe with something as simple as a Young Pyromancer.

The Ascension deck was definitely great to see.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Joining the two topics here, back in standard I played a halimar depths pyromancer ascension list that played treasure hunt. Fun times.

So how do you guys implement transform cards? Do you just have them in the cube and make your players unsleeve to flip it? Do you run the placeholder cards and have the real cards with your tokens? Have proxies that flip kamigawa style? I've seen all three and while I've forced transform out of my cube to keep things newbie-friendly (don't want to have them all unsleeving a card to look at both sides mid-draft etc.) I feel like if I had the cards in the token pile for everyone to look at (clear sleeves are cool) things would go a-ok.

That said, what transform stuff do you guys run? I'm looking at the following:

Thoughts?