General CBS

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, it really shows how lopsided power levels were with some of those decks.

The old black summer necro deck though is really impressive, and I would not have expected it to do as well as it has been.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, it really shows how lopsided power levels were with some of those decks.

The old black summer necro deck though is really impressive, and I would not have expected it to do as well as it has been.

Really? Seems perfectly predictable to me.
Combo Deck, hard to interact with, fast enough to get around non-force interaction: Seems sweet against a pile of standard decks!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Black summer necro wasn't a combo deck. It was basically a black weenie deck that played an attrition gameplan and than used necropotence to refill.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Yeah, black summer was well before donate was printed. The deck is basically necro, ritual, hymn, hippie, drain life and some random shit that just buries you under card advantage.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, Randy acknowledges that the other necro decks weren't particularly fun combo decks.

Most of the cards in it just seem so bad, but it gets there. The matchup of necro v. academy is great.

Its also cool to see the unholy splendor that is memory jar in action. I think delver is going to win the whole thing though.

Memory jar is just bonkers. I love the necro aggro deck though, that's what I hoped necro could be like in cube ;)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
What is all this discussion with old retro decks? Are they being revived somewhere?

Haven't seen anyone mention this, but thought it was pretty neat.

Randy Buehler has been doing a "gauntlet of greatness series" where he lined up 16 of the most powerful (re: degenerate) decks from standards history.

Here is the playlist

First seed is tolarian academy vs. psychatog :eek:

They haven't finished it. Memory jar is still in it. I'm hoping either delver or necro beats it.

loving these matchup videos! reminds me of the time a dude won a legacy tournament with standard caw-blade

anyway

where do you all sit on combo nonkills? is it a reasonable source of reach for diverse decks (this recent ww anafenza / kitchen finks discussion has me really excited tbh since i have no sac outlets in white) or if they're arbitarily-limited and show up week after week, how sad are you to cut them? i love legacy, and lots of plan bs in cube decks makes me happy, so i love the idea of Genuine Combo even though i've historically been really cautious with it (kiki-twin's success rate is the greatest failure of the latest MTGO Legacy Cube)

i'm also really excited by Grillo's Cloud of Faeries shenanigans, although they're pretty low-power. I guess what I'm really looking for are efficient engines for converting one resource into another one...

(i don't run any of these at present but am curious as to whether any of them are positive fun

)

...and whether or not that ability to convert resources is easily paid-off (pays off in certain scenarios, at an opportunity cost?) with non-poisonous picks

I tried to make prosbloom or variants of it work in my cube, but I was the only one who drafted the card so I gave it up.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
loving these matchup videos! reminds me of the time a dude won a legacy tournament with standard caw-blade

anyway

where do you all sit on combo nonkills? is it a reasonable source of reach for diverse decks (this recent ww anafenza / kitchen finks discussion has me really excited tbh since i have no sac outlets in white) or if they're arbitarily-limited and show up week after week, how sad are you to cut them? i love legacy, and lots of plan bs in cube decks makes me happy, so i love the idea of Genuine Combo even though i've historically been really cautious with it (kiki-twin's success rate is the greatest failure of the latest MTGO Legacy Cube)

i'm also really excited by Grillo's Cloud of Faeries shenanigans, although they're pretty low-power. I guess what I'm really looking for are efficient engines for converting one resource into another one...

(i don't run any of these at present but am curious as to whether any of them are positive fun

)

...and whether or not that ability to convert resources is easily paid-off (pays off in certain scenarios, at an opportunity cost?) with non-poisonous picks

Are any of them good on their own?
Also, foundy just seems miserable to play against in any capacity

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Image.ashx
168752.jpg