General CBS

Haven't touched the new Smash yet and I barely played any of Brawl, mostly because the Wii sucked. Played a ton of Melee though, that game was the best.

I still play classic Smash on the N64 whenever I head back home though. We usually get a 4 man going at my friends house, so fun. Samus and Fox all day errday.

The Wii sucked Donkey Kong sized balls if you actually liked playing video games. It was a cool concept and Nintendo definitely made a boatload by hitting new demographics, but aside from Smash and a few other titles, I never really thought much of the Wii. It was more gimmicky than anything to me. There weren't enough compelling games to make me go yeah, I definitely want a Wii. I mean, I bought a PS3 thinking that Kingdom Hearts 3 would eventually come out (those bastards got me good), but there were enough other games + features that made it totally worth it.

Then again, this has been a Nintendo issue with their consoles for a while now. They knock it out of the ballpark with all the cool games on their handhelds, but their consoles aren't anywhere close.

The Wii sucked Donkey Kong sized balls if you actually liked playing video games. It was a cool concept and Nintendo definitely made a boatload by hitting new demographics, but aside from Smash and a few other titles, I never really thought much of the Wii. It was more gimmicky than anything to me. There weren't enough compelling games to make me go yeah, I definitely want a Wii. I mean, I bought a PS3 thinking that Kingdom Hearts 3 would eventually come out (those bastards got me good), but there were enough other games + features that made it totally worth it.

Then again, this has been a Nintendo issue with their consoles for a while now. They knock it out of the ballpark with all the cool games on their handhelds, but their consoles aren't anywhere close.

GameCube had more innovative titles than the ps2 & xbox combined. The Wii was a bit gimmicky but still a good console. The Wii U kind of sucks but it had more noteworthy games last year than the PS4 & XBone had. I'm not fanboying here at all, either. I just find it a bit ignorant to go saying the consoles sucked compared to their competitors. Wii had meh graphics & bad online. Wii U was just not a very good concept. But their games were/are great & that's an undeniable fact. I will say they could use more third party titles though...

Honestly I'm pretty much done with Tough Guy vs. the odds first/third person games, i.e. the majority of good xbox and ps games. They were fun for a few years, but it became over-saturated for me.

Nintendo deserves credit for being the one company to always push the boundaries with every console generation. It's unfortunate that Nintendo can't get the third party support it so desperately needs, but I understand why. It's just too risky for most developers.

I was skeptical of the Wii U at first, but the asymmetrical gameplay approach really is super interesting. Hopefully we'll see more projects like this in the near future.

Nintendo still wins hands down when it comes to group couch gaming.

GameCube had more innovative titles than the ps2 & xbox combined. The Wii was a bit gimmicky but still a good console. The Wii U kind of sucks but it had more noteworthy games last year than the PS4 & XBone had. I'm not fanboying here at all, either. I just find it a bit ignorant to go saying the consoles sucked compared to their competitors. Wii had meh graphics & bad online. Wii U was just not a very good concept. But their games were/are great & that's an undeniable fact. I will say they could use more third party titles though...

I don't agree about innovation from the Gamecube being that much better than the other two. I'm sure there are GC titles that fit under that umbrella (not as familiar since I never owned one), but off the top of my head I can't remember that many games where I went holy shit this is amazing. SSBM has been their flagship forever and is an All-Timer, Metroid Prime was tight, I loved Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Chao Garden, and then after that I'm not sure. Probably Zelda titles also. The PS2 had games like Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts I & II along with FFX which really pushed the bar. All were amazing games, esp Shadow which I've played through like 7 times.

To me, it seems like Nintendo consoles are basically surviving off the back of their flagships and making like a dozen Mario games every generation. They're fun and all, but not some All-Time level stuff like they might have been churning out in the 90s. There just aren't that many memorable games imo. It's a far cry from what they did with the DS which had an INSANE selection of awesome games that weren't just Nintendo character driven titles.

Then again, I play a lot of sports games with friends so I may be a bit biased against Nintendo consoles in that regard. They just really suck for those and it was a bitch to navigate Netflix with the Wii-Mote which I hated.

prowess and extort feel sorta like they get along well. Something about prowess / evolve and to a lesser extent heroic and devotion make me feel like there have been a number of attempts to make developmental / high velocity decks happen but they've still been feeling their way around with it.

Annnnnyway I forget, is there an actual good extort creature out there to test this with or should I get working on making that happen? I imagine a low cost blocking creature with extort would be really cool. I also wouldn't support drain 1 in any colour but I guess the colour combination for extort is probably limiting for it's mana sink / spell consistency framework. A great extort card would be sweet in an arena deck though!

3-CMC or cheapter extorters:

A local peasant cube owner made kingpin's pet cost {W}{B}, the guards be a 0/4 for {1}{W}, and syndic of tithes a 3/1. They seem fine but I don't watch its games very often- they're very grindy and low-power in general which doesn't especially interest me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I personally like Syndic of Tithes. As a bear it's playable in the white weenie decks, and it gives those decks a bit of reach when attacking becomes a problem once your creatures are outclassed by your opponent's.

CML

Contributor
the extort cards are all weak and are common inclusions in power-max cubes where the owners want to pretend they keep in touch with new mechanics. i think this is an argument for making an environment where extort is sweet, cube is perfect for balancing its limited power with its constructed weakness.

as for other things -- my friend who represents esports athletes (or whatever the term is, "neckbeards" say) and i discussed how SC2 was worse than SC1 and came to the conclusion that maybe the technical virtuosity SC1 necessitated might have been part of it. i haven't played much SC2 but! as a pianist i look down upon the oboe because what kind of psycho would want to spend a year learning how to squawk on it instead of tickling the 88 keyed monster. "instruments should be easy," and so should games, right, so you can more purely express strategy? but maybe not. look at melee > brawl. here it's more complicated because some of the virtuosity is the strategy but this is likely the case elsewhere too.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I mean, why do people watch golf? The excitement? The strategy? Or the appreciation that those dudes can do something at a level of skill you can only dream of? Golf is the epitome of "the virtuosity is the strategy". If people can enjoy watching someone play golf, one of the most boring things I can think of, I'd say that supports idea that technical barriers can create a more entertaining gaming experience.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I mean, why do people watch golf? The excitement? The strategy? Or the appreciation that those dudes can do something at a level of skill you can only dream of? Golf is the epitome of "the virtuosity is the strategy". If people can enjoy watching someone play golf, one of the most boring things I can think of, I'd say that supports idea that technical barriers can create a more entertaining gaming experience.

Just to veg out I guess?

CML

Contributor
We oboists look down on the flautists (filthy casuals)

Don't get me started on the clarinet...

'THEY made a silly mistake, though,' the Professor of History said, and his smile, as Dixon watched, gradually sank beneath the surface of his features at the memory. 'After the interval we did a little piece by Dowland,' he went on; 'for recorder and keyboard, you know. I played the recorder, of course, and young Johns…' He paused, and his trunk grew rigid as he walked; it was as if some entirely different man, some impostor who couldn't copy his voice, had momentarily taken his place; then he went on again: '… young Johns played the piano. Versatile lad, that; the oboe's his instrument, really. Well anyway, the reporter chap must have got the story wrong, or not been listening, or something. Anyway, there it was in the Post as large as life: Dowland, yes, they'd got him right; Messrs Welch and Johns, yes; but what do you think they said then?'

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Virtuosity is one of those words that doesn't look like it should be a word. Like I read CML's post and was like "Does he mean Virtuousness? What the hell does this sentence mean?"
Yes I looked it up shut up you all can stop now