General CBS

As a counterpoint, Pioneer and Modern are both interesting and healthy. Pioneer's getting plenty of play around me (though I am moving in 3 days, so who knows what being halfway around the world will do to my POV there) and is the best it's ever been. Modern is annoyingly the MH2 Block format, but all the same is not so far off from the best it's ever been to play, with diverse decks that do interesting things and lots of disruption and back-and-forth.

AND YET, I am truly offended by this 30th Anniversary expansion, and I'm the target audience in so many ways (other than making 12/15 cards in the new border???? who wants that from this kind of product??????). I think it, much more than the Fortnite-ification of Magic or the sloppy Digital-first design process or the black hole of a EDH-centric R&D, represents a trajectory for the game I am actually worried about, after finding most of the complaints of the last 10 years overblown.

Like those other issues, I'm confident Magic will overcome this.

But unlike something like Universes Beyond, which has fantastic and obvious value regardless of its risks and challenges, I see these 30th Anniversary boosters as a thesis statement. It declares that WotC is merely beginning their exploitation-driven product mentality I had previously believed was at its logical extreme with Collector's Boosters and Secret Lair -- initiatives that I can support, even with their warts.

So even though I'm still confident in the overall health of the game, and my ability to get a playgroup to draft with me when my Cube is drinking age (halfway there babyyyy), I can't imagine we're on a path where the unadulterated growth of Magic continues at this rate without diluting what makes the game so special. It's weird to think, even though the game's got decades of steam left, this may be the peak of the game.

Not going to lie, while I disagree with some specific points you make, I do agree in general. I don't think an eternal format is in a good place when it's in essence Horizons Block Constructed but there are a variety of decks even if they share a significant percentage of their cards. While Pioneer is very much a dead format where I live, it's a lot of fun playing with the very small pool of players that occasionally have their pioneer deck with them, and really reminiscent to me of the early days of Modern when I found it it's most fun -Best of luck with your new location, by the way, I hope Magic is thriving there.

I also agree with you on Universes Beyond, with the very large caveat that they failed at overcoming those risks and challenges - they got it exactly right in Ikoria and Innistrad Midnight Hunt, in having the cards be effectively official altered art cards. I want them to make their saving throw and turn -all- Universes Beyond cards into exactly that - they've said they might sometimes in the future maybe, which is the sort of corporate hedge that makes me feel really cynical. They won't say no because they don't want another reserved list situation on their hands and the inevitable massive backlash, but they don't want to commit to a yes because that kills the FOMO of limited print runs.

I've found Magic to be at it's cheapest in a while too, despite the fact that sealed product sold near me is at its most expensive - the massive amount of chase crap that I hate has led to enough boxes being opened that all the nifty cool little cards, even alt art super special prints with fancy foiling, being literal cents at my FLGS. Secret Lairs, which I also think are neat even if I'll never buy one and I think they're frustratingly anti-LGS, have driven prices down on foil first prints and older promos of several cards I like. This has made it possible for me to pick up nice versions of things as I add them to the cube without having to worry too much about if it has legs in the long term - I'm a lot happier picking up The Raven Man in foil showcase for 10 cents, knowing that if he stays I'll have the version I want, vs buying or trading for the cheapest version then wanting to upgrade later because, turns out, it is good enough.
Does the amount of profit really represent the peak of magic? A peak, sure, on that axis, but there are also others. Urza's for absolute bullshit, Nemesis for the lore, Mirrodin or Kaladesh for the banlist, Invasion or Innistrad for limited, each was a peak in a different way. Even if magic never makes as much money again and slowly declines back to like, 2006-levels, there's still the potential for other peaks - after all, that was the era of peak nostalgia :p

So yeah, you'll probably hear me complain about the state of Magic a lot whenever Wizards makes an announcement. There's still a lot to like about Magic, which is why we're still hanging around on the internet complaining about it. It's when we all stop complaining that something has gone fatally wrong.

Edit: I also want to highlight that now is also a high point for MTG art. Cards are very, very pretty, and I don't just mean all the alternate frame treatments and alternate arts and Secret Lair versions. Avon, Guay, Neilsen and Kane Ferguson have real competition in Beckert, Burmak, Mayer and McKinnon.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with you on Burmak (not to my tastes, really), but I am glad that Wizards have started to commission artists with distinctive styles again.

I would replace her on that list with the other Guay, though.

Not all her works are amazing, but I'm a big fan of Burmak's rendition of Zegana, and Practical Insight makes me feel the same way as Nielsens FoF. And now there's Extinguish the Light, too.

That said, you are entirely correct on changing the list for Sam Guay - I've never seen their work before and every single one is amazing! I'm swapping my V13 Impulse for a DMU one as soon as I can find one in foil, and I'm in love with that Circle of Dreams Druid

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not all her works are amazing, but I'm a big fan of Burmak's rendition of Zegana, and Practical Insight makes me feel the same way as Nielsens FoF. And now there's Extinguish the Light, too.

That said, you are entirely correct on changing the list for Sam Guay - I've never seen their work before and every single one is amazing! I'm swapping my V13 Impulse for a DMU one as soon as I can find one in foil, and I'm in love with that Circle of Dreams Druid
I think Burmak's art is very pretty, lots of lovely details. Wylie Beckert is amazing as well, Go Blank is one of my favorite recent arts! No mention of Julie Dillon though?

Thought Scour.png

I hope she gets to do more art, because she's got some real beauties up on her site.

I also wouldn't mind more art by Minttu Hynninen in regular sets. Or, you know, more art that looks like anything from the Strixhaven Archive :) Anato Finstark's art and Justin & Alexis Hernandez's art there is also great.

I also wouldn't mind more art by Minttu Hynninen in regular sets. Or, you know, more art that looks like anything from the Strixhaven Archive :) Anato Finstark's art and Justin & Alexis Hernandez's art there is also great.
I would honestly love it if we got more Strixhaven Archive-esque art for spells. Like, it's all well-and-good to have representational art for permanents, but I like the art for spells (and enchantments) being a little more abstract.

To distract us from our bitching about Magic...

How imbalanced would this be, a priori?

1. One player has 40 cards and no life total. They win the game if they reduce their opponent to 0 life.
2. The other player has 44 cards (a normal 40 + a playset of Hedron Alignment). They win the game if they can align the hedrons.

Assume that the format has quite a bit of card selection, ways to get cards into exile, and not much in the way of enchantment edicts/wraths, but doesn't have tutors or other "here's the card you asked for!" effects.

As like
I think Burmak's art is very pretty, lots of lovely details. Wylie Beckert is amazing as well, Go Blank is one of my favorite recent arts! No mention of Julie Dillon though?

View attachment 7542

I hope she gets to do more art, because she's got some real beauties up on her site.

Julie Dillon is another one I'd totally missed due to small sample size, but I love that Thought Scour and her Breya is gorgeous too - I suspect my partner will want to replace all their Deathbringer Liege's too now :p
I'd thought about Hynninen, but she only has STA cards so far, and the same is more or less true for Finstark and the Hernandez's - but I would love to see their art on regular frame cards. Particularly the Hernandez's.

To distract us from our bitching about Magic...

How imbalanced would this be, a priori?

1. One player has 40 cards and no life total. They win the game if they reduce their opponent to 0 life.
2. The other player has 44 cards (a normal 40 + a playset of Hedron Alignment). They win the game if they can align the hedrons.

Assume that the format has quite a bit of card selection, ways to get cards into exile, and not much in the way of enchantment edicts/wraths, but doesn't have tutors or other "here's the card you asked for!" effects.

Sounds like a bitch to balance but I don't see any reason it couldn't be with enough work. If it is a drafted environment, I don't know how you'd keep picks exciting, since a bunch of cards would be only ever go one player, but in two sealed pools or preconstructed decks it could be pretty nifty. Tempted to give it a go.

The big issue to me would be maintaining tension throughout the game - it's basically an Aggro or Midrange vs Combo-Control match, and if the aggressor is sufficiently fast the control player can feel like they didn't get to play at all (Trying to cast something for more than 4 mana in Zendikar limited), and if the Combo-Control deck is sufficiently resilient the aggressor can feel like the things they did get to play were totally irrelevant (Playing aggro in Rise of the Eldrazi limited).
I'm also assuming this would be a theme environment with like, Eldrazi vs Hedrons, which might also lead to some tough design constraints, but a very fun excercise.

It was actually going to be...

vs.

RGW draft environment, except all the lands are untapped Rx duals (so it's effectively White vs. Green, with Red as "colorless").

Will this ever be made? I dunno.

Hello, it's me again, with another unnecessary cube idea. The rules are thus:

Your deck has no lands in it, and is [insert smaller size] in order to make up for that fact.

Both players start the game with the following lands in play:

When you draw your hand to start the game, draw [???] cards and put one of the following lands into your hand:

The idea here is that this mana base actually does something rather interesting:

On T1
You can produce either {c}{c} or one mana of any color.

On T2+
Assume that your third gate was Izzet Guildgate. You may do any of the following:
1) Make {c}{c}{U/R}.
2) Make {U/R} plus one mana of any color.
3) Make a Treasure token.
4) Give a creature you control +3/+3 at Sorcery speed.

---

What's interesting about this (to me, at least) is that it's a mana base that turns {W}{U}{B}{R}{G} into {2/W}{2/U}{2/B}{2/R}{2/G}, and as a result puts a pretty unique restriction on what's playable in a given deck. It might be too restrictive (your deck will be able to play 7/10ths of all gold two-drops, but can't play any gold three drops unless you skip spending mana for a turn), but that's something to adjust after some testing.

So you never get a 4th land, only way to make big mana plays is saving up treasure tokens?
Sounds interesting, and a fun exercise to build and play. Disproportionately supports a Workshop Weenie style deck (Colourless threats, equipment, splash for activated abilities like Bomat or Scrounger) or artifact ramp. I like the Gate tribal cards, would those be in the cube?

Looks like I'm back up on Cobra as a featured cube. Added in the updated duplicate vouchers + put some cards in the basic land box for post-draft ease of access. Give it a try and lemme know what you guys come up with!

Looks like I'm back up on Cobra as a featured cube. Added in the updated duplicate vouchers + put some cards in the basic land box for post-draft ease of access. Give it a try and lemme know what you guys come up with!
https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/63475ba535d4840f68bfc012

reposting in case you’re not on Discord anymore, but i had fun drafting your cube!
predictably, i went 5c “goodstuff,” and was able to get a fair amount of looting/GY synergy while sticking to the high power cards. wish i could have maindecked my p1p1 Wandering Emperor but sometimes the draft just doesn’t break that way. would LOVE to pilot this deck!

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/63475ba535d4840f68bfc012

reposting in case you’re not on Discord anymore, but i had fun drafting your cube!
predictably, i went 5c “goodstuff,” and was able to get a fair amount of looting/GY synergy while sticking to the high power cards. wish i could have maindecked my p1p1 Wandering Emperor but sometimes the draft just doesn’t break that way. would LOVE to pilot this deck!

Tight, thanks for the draft. Unfortunately I don't really hop onto Discord much aside from when I do webcam EDH night or a movie night with my friends so good call on posting here for visibility. Discord is neat for anything voice related, but nothing beats a good old forum for cube talk.

I've definitely had players go into the 4-5C goodstuff decks over the years, it's something that most of my experienced drafters tend to try out every now and again if enough fixing comes back around to them. I have a fond memory of once getting absolutely by a purely manland + removal deck that I didn't even know existed in my cube at the time. Lesson learned after that as I've gotten used to prioritizing fixing early to streamline my decks, but some players still prefer to go for the shiny and cooler cards and it seems that Cobra bots do the same most times. My cube is mostly centered on 2 color decks with the chance to go into 3 pretty easily, anything beyond that requires more focus depending on the draft pod. Kind like how you could do the same back in KTK Limited where early prioritization of fixing let you just go apeshit with splashes. It's absolutely there though, so it's nice to see it come together every now and then.

Going with a Temur colored base seems to be the easiest way to make these happen, especially if you end up picking up Wrenn and Six or Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath to help fix your base as you did in this draft. Throw in the Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and you can definitely pull off an impression of the kinds of decks that existed during the KTK-BFZ Standard. Those three cards really let you branch out in a big way when combined with fetches for fixing and ended up being a big reason why did not include triomes except as squadron picks with tri-color cards. I do like having the goodstuff option available for players if they want to go down that route; it's part of why I've got Territorial Kavu and a few other cards here and there (really should get a Leyline Binding at some point) as rewards.

Unfortunately Cobra doesn't have the ability to do a Utility Land Draft but man I could see a loooot of potential going in on Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance to pump out bodies or Takenuma, Abandoned Mire to get real grindy with it. I would love to see this go head to head with something like one of my RW or BW Aggro decks or a pure UW Control deck. Would be a fun match-up for sure.

Tight, thanks for the draft. Unfortunately I don't really hop onto Discord much aside from when I do webcam EDH night or a movie night with my friends so good call on posting here for visibility. Discord is neat for anything voice related, but nothing beats a good old forum for cube talk.

I've definitely had players go into the 4-5C goodstuff decks over the years, it's something that most of my experienced drafters tend to try out every now and again if enough fixing comes back around to them. I have a fond memory of once getting absolutely by a purely manland + removal deck that I didn't even know existed in my cube at the time. Lesson learned after that as I've gotten used to prioritizing fixing early to streamline my decks, but some players still prefer to go for the shiny and cooler cards and it seems that Cobra bots do the same most times. My cube is mostly centered on 2 color decks with the chance to go into 3 pretty easily, anything beyond that requires more focus depending on the draft pod. Kind like how you could do the same back in KTK Limited where early prioritization of fixing let you just go apeshit with splashes. It's absolutely there though, so it's nice to see it come together every now and then.

Going with a Temur colored base seems to be the easiest way to make these happen, especially if you end up picking up Wrenn and Six or Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath to help fix your base as you did in this draft. Throw in the Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and you can definitely pull off an impression of the kinds of decks that existed during the KTK-BFZ Standard. Those three cards really let you branch out in a big way when combined with fetches for fixing and ended up being a big reason why did not include triomes except as squadron picks with tri-color cards. I do like having the goodstuff option available for players if they want to go down that route; it's part of why I've got Territorial Kavu and a few other cards here and there (really should get a Leyline Binding at some point) as rewards.

Unfortunately Cobra doesn't have the ability to do a Utility Land Draft but man I could see a loooot of potential going in on Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance to pump out bodies or Takenuma, Abandoned Mire to get real grindy with it. I would love to see this go head to head with something like one of my RW or BW Aggro decks or a pure UW Control deck. Would be a fun match-up for sure.
Leyline Binding would be really good here, especially with the Triomes. FWIW i’ve been running the channel lands main-cube to help my Loam archetype have more “hits” besides Urza’s Saga. the space is tight though!