General CBS

Chris Taylor

Contributor
As ever, I hope we get good designs from this.

Marvel specifically feels completely inevitable for this project and also a bit dated. Once I saw endgame, I felt done, and superhero fatigue had begun to set in for a lot of people long before that. Lot of my friends told me I checked out at basically the perfect time.

While the rest of UB feels nostalgic (Transformers, LoTR), this feels weirdly present, but in a way 40k didn't.
None of that really changes my opinion, but hey, I observe.

Have we hit the point where we're getting as much UB product as non-UB stuff yet? Or are we still a year or two out?
Nope! We’re still less than a third (maybe even less than a quarter) of products being UB releases. I don’t think we’re ever going to get to that point if I’m being honest— between the premier sets and extra stuff like master’s products, normal magic is too popular in its own right to turn it into an IP delivery platform exclusively.

Just read the article and I am dismayed to read the words "...across multiple sets...." Oh dear God, that's so much more than I was expecting.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A lot of hating and nay saying going on here
We all knew this was inevitable (the Jacetice League was basically MtG's attempts at the superheroes trope), but I honestly don't give a hoot about superhero stories. Like Dr. Who it's a bit too far removed from MtG's look and feel, that it's just going to be a bit awkward. In other words...

I think it's fine to be annoyed about this stuff and talk about how it's annoying. It dilutes the game and it's settings and turns it into something that it wasn't for 30 years. And frankly a lot of these cards have been corny, ugly rules text vomit. And if you play constructed you literally can't ignore them. It's pretty lame!

And if you play constructed you literally can't ignore them. It's pretty lame!
Except you totally can. The only UB set that has had a major impact in constructed so far is The Lord of the Rings thanks to The One Ring, Bowmasters, and the Monarch cards. You don’t really need to worry about these cards until someone does well with them in a tournament, and given the low power level of most universes beyond cards, that just isn’t a large percentage of them.

Except you totally can. The only UB set that has had a major impact in constructed so far is The Lord of the Rings thanks to The One Ring, Bowmasters, and the Monarch cards. You don’t really need to worry about these cards until someone does well with them in a tournament, and given the low power level of most universes beyond cards, that just isn’t a large percentage of them.

And Lorien Revealed and Stern Scolding. This kind of proves that you cannot ignore them because sometimes there are competitive or format-breaking cards. Unless of course you know that all future Universes Beyond sets will be exclusively bad cards/new skins to existing cards.

LotR is probably the set with the highest density of playables for eternal formats since MH2, and 40k and D&D commander both have cards that see play in Legacy.

And Lorien Revealed and Stern Scolding. This kind of proves that you cannot ignore them because sometimes there are competitive or format-breaking cards. Unless of course you know that all future Universes Beyond sets will be exclusively bad cards/new skins to existing cards.
Except it doesn’t, because LOTR was specifically designed to have some cards that could be played in modern (something which WOTC was up front about).

Do you want to put some value to your words m and bet?

Your bet is as followed in your own words: You can totally ignore all Universes Beyond sets for all constructed play.

My bet is that you are wrong and that we cannot ignore all Universes Beyond sets for constructed play.

Do you want to put some value to your words m and bet?

Your bet is as followed in your own words: You can totally ignore all Universes Beyond sets for all constructed play.

My bet is that you are wrong and that we cannot ignore all Universes Beyond sets for constructed play.
No I just don’t want to argue with you. I honestly shouldn’t have responded to your first comment.

I am just sick of hearing the same six talking points every time some UB thing is spoiled. It’s getting really old at this point and not adding anything to the conversation.

I think it's naïve to assume that there won't be format shifting staples coming down the pipeline through these sets given their track record in recent years. Almost every major move has been for short term profits to the detriment of the long term health of this game. They're going to keep pushing designs because they need to sell sets, these designs will affect formats in a big way, and it's just slowly going to kill the game over time because people don't want to keep up with a money sink.

I get that Cube is the main focus here, but I don't think it makes sense to ignore the happenings around the game making it a shell of itself. The long term prospects for this game look fucking terrible in 2023.