General CBS

I was bursting out laughing when I saw those old frames on Ravnica cards. Probably the most anti Ravnica they could have done.

Today, 135 beautiful retro frame cards habe been spoiled. On them, not a single non-evergreen mechanic, not even the obscure ones, has reminder text. It sucks, because they do exactly what I wish for - print magic cards that are pleasant to look at - but then they make those shiny toys unuseable for my purposes.

I'll make it my new life goal to get rid of this anti-cube-policy.

I noticed this too. I'm so sad; it makes them useless for me tbh. There's a few cards I used to run that would work in the style (Faith's Fetters, Pteramander, Ultimate Price, Condemn, etc.) but I really wanted to swap out for the Legion Warboss and Light Up the Stage, but cannot justify losing out on pretty key text for both of them, especially considering how far removed we are from those mechanics.

I don't even like the shock lands that much since they remove the guild symbols and the reminder text for what colors they tap for...but I think it should be ok. Will probably pick up a few if they're not too bad.

The one absolute upgrade is Utopia Sprawl, though:
rvr-355-utopia-sprawl.jpg
(It's still an ugly set symbol, though.)

I'd probably swap Bobs too but the art they used is the worst to date, and I think I'd prefer to keep the iconic art from the original Ravnica.

I'll have to take solace in anime Teysa.
rvr-441-teysa-orzhov-scion.jpg

That Utopia Sprawl looks very good and looks like it could belong to a different plane if it wasn’t for the obvious Selesnya in the background.

Our enemy here is Commander. As always. When MARO says “Enfranchised players” he is actually talking about Commander players who have played for a long time. And that game is mass multiplayer so there will always be some who know how dredge or extort works to explain to the others.

Even if "No" wins, I'd say ~43% is pretty good. Two reasons:

1. Among the "non-enfranchised" players, who buy packs but don't know what blogatog is, I would expect more to be in favor of reminder texts when they fit (and remember, these players are the majority).

2. Even when more people don't want them, you have to look at the negatives for each side. Reminder texts might slightly annoy those enfranchised players. No reminder texts will cause confusion anmong newbies and will probably prevent more people from collecting them than the other way round, because they are not useable in cubes.

Some of the comments are also wild. They suggest that everyone should have scryfall open during drafts anyway. Half my playgroup doesn't know what scryfall is, they just wanna play and expect that reading the cards explains the cards.

Some of the comments are also wild. They suggest that everyone should have scryfall open during drafts anyway. Half my playgroup doesn't know what scryfall is, they just wanna play and expect that reading the cards explains the cards.
I replied to one of those people in the comments, that sentiment is so dumb.

Not everyone playing a Cube is an MTGO grinder who knows what random 20 year old mechanics like Morph do. I think expecting people to have their phone out during a draft is just an unrealistic expectation.

The card in my particular cube that suffers from this problem is Blast-Furnace Hellkite. I can either get a retro-frame version (which would be the only retro-frame card in the cube) or I can get a modern-frame version with no reminder text for fucking "Artifact Offering," an ability that literally does not appear on any other card in the game.

The card in my particular cube that suffers from this problem is Blast-Furnace Hellkite. I can either get a retro-frame version (which would be the only retro-frame card in the cube) or I can get a modern-frame version with no reminder text for fucking "Artifact Offering," an ability that literally does not appear on any other card in the game.

Love react? Laugh react?
I both it

Or or or or.. or you could just get the Magic Online version….

IMG_4129.jpeg

Wizards…

Anyone here know enough about Yu-Gi-Oh that they'd be interested in a YGO custom cube thread? Porting MTG cards to YGO cus Konami has totally fucked their own game and I miss it.

Anyone here know enough about Yu-Gi-Oh that they'd be interested in a YGO custom cube thread? Porting MTG cards to YGO cus Konami has totally fucked their own game and I miss it.

As long as you keep it a separate thread so I don’t have to see it, then I say fine by me <3 Can’t hurt and will probably be enjoyed by some!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Some of you might have already come across this, but in the past few days, the organizers of CubeCon split over how a harassment claim against one of them was handled. Though some of them claim disagreement on vision and/or financials was the actual cause of the split, conspicuously this includes those organizers who sided with the accused party, so... take that as you will.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to read up on the entire saga (and I think you should if you are at all active in the cube community, because people are going to take a stance on this), here's a good synopsis by Hipsters of the Coast: https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2024/01/the-future-of-cubecon/

Oh okay. Not going to step on anyone else’s fun. For me it has no interest what goes on at a local event on another continent. Obviously sexual harrasment is a wrong anywhere in the world. I wish them all the best <3

I'm currently funemployed so my family is staying with my parents in the boonies for a while, and have been drafting/playing standard a few times a month at the LGS that just opened up. I've made enough inroads while I've been here that I'll be hosting a Cube night on Thursday for the first time.

Because I don't really like to bring my main Cube to a store for understandable reasons (it's my baby!), I'll be bringing my reject Cube, The California Champion's League Cube. It was great fun the last time I brought it to an anime convention with some friends, but I haven't been maintaining it as closely. I did a quick-and-dirty 2023 update to it last night with cards from my on-deck binder but I'd like to see if I can support some fun archetypes in here while staying true to my goals, as listed below. I'm not going to have enough time to do any serious testing, even just on CubeCobra, so advise is appreciated for changes! It's a bit too generic-goodstuffy for me, and even with my efforts to lower the mana curve, it's still too high.

I had previously allowed for the occasional crossover cards between my two main Cubes (my primary being The California Premiership Cube) but I think it's more novel/sticks to the theme to have them 100% unique, so I'll be updating it accordingly as well, but I'd ask any recommendations avoid cards in that list (unless you think they really need to leave).

Goals of The California Champion's League Cube​

• Create a compelling draft and play environment with a relatively flat power level across all cards, more explosive and memorable than a retail draft.
  • Provide a home for favorite cards that no longer can compete or have a place in the primary cube.
  • Prioritize interactive gameplay with a focus on resource management, creature combat, and reactive spells.
  • Focus on glue cards that work across multiple archetypes and deprioritize cards that follow linear or repetitive play patterns.
  • Allow for aggressive, controlling, and midrange decks to all thrive.
  • Avoid cards that would be obvious first and last picks across multiple drafts
  • Ensure cards are clear and easy to grok, avoiding wordy cards and unexplained keywords where possible.
  • Prevent card overlap with the main cube wherever possible, allowing for minimal exceptions with staple effects such as mana elves and fixing.
  • Minimize combo decks by removing any two-card combos able to win a game outright or any obvious three-card combos, while still promoting synergy.
  • Allow for splashy enough individual cards that the better player does not always win.

I hope the funemployment doesn't last too long...

Dumb cube idea (that I might actually pursue this time around — I briefly toyed with this idea a while back): a twingleton cube where some cards give you a copy of Myr Servitor instead of a second copy of that card (so the cube is basically a mix of "2x [CARD NAME]" and "[CARD NAME] + Myr Servitor").

The challenge, of course, is figuring out which cards are part of the Myr Servitor "archetype" and which aren't...

I hope the funemployment doesn't last too long...

Dumb cube idea (that I might actually pursue this time around — I briefly toyed with this idea a while back): a twingleton cube where some cards give you a copy of Myr Servitor instead of a second copy of that card (so the cube is basically a mix of "2x [CARD NAME]" and "[CARD NAME] + Myr Servitor").

The challenge, of course, is figuring out which cards are part of the Myr Servitor "archetype" and which aren't...
Sounds kind of frustrating dealing with all the additional physical copies after the draft. If you and your group don't mind that, it's a cool idea.

Have any of you heard of a place where you can buy serialized cards? The XXX/500 cards that are super expensive.

So far I have had no luck finding any of the ones I want. Thank you forum <3

I’ve used Facebook groups for selling high value cards over the last year with some success. Serialised cards appear there from time to time. I’ve used a UK based group to avoid international shipping, but other groups are available.

I’ve used Facebook groups for selling high value cards over the last year with some success. Serialised cards appear there from time to time. I’ve used a UK based group to avoid international shipping, but other groups are available.
Thank you.
Can you by any chance list a name or two of some of those groups?
I live in Denmark