Yes but...they removed the cards from the database? It seems...quick and harsh. And I didn't see any announcements on Cube Cobra
I'll have to see how I replace it.
That's... disappointing. I'm no fan of Alchemy, but it's undeniable that it carved out its own little niche and it had a cult following. To just up and delete it all is schizophrenic. Corpos are all about "renting" to customers instead of selling these days, but Wizards just being able to reach into my collection and
unmake a bunch of cards is concerning for all sorts of reasons. Where can we find the Scryfall zip file of Alchemy rebalances?
Random thought that's been knocking around in my head for the past few months:
Old border cube is about the notes you don't play.
I curate an old border cube. A lot of old border players won't like this, but one of the ways I set out to differentiate my list was to specifically look for old frame treatments that could have been printed in old border sets. No batshit stuff like old border
Primeval Titan or old border
Consecrated Sphinx, more like old border
Wire Surgeons and old border
Darien, King of Kjeldor.
When I started looking, I found a lot more.
Crystal Ball and
Bottled Cloister fit right in beside
Icy Manipulator and
Zuran Orb.
Noose Constrictor adds a second copy of
Wild Mongrel for madness and graveyard strategies. Spellslinger gets a bump with
Thermo-Alchemist. Academy decks get "fixed" cards like
Sai, Master Thopterist and
Hard Evidence. Tinker/Welder decks have a backup plan with
Farid, Enterprising Scavengerand
Feldon of the Third Path.
Tinker itself is a lot less silly when the biggest targets are
Ramos, Dragon Engine,
Steel Hellkite and
Scion of Draco.
Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse unlocks a whole new archetype in Gx by turning cantrips into board state. If old border cycling cards weren't so awful, she'd make me want to toss in a few just by her lonesome. These are just some of the designs I've been exploring.
There was a whole continuum of sets in between 8th edition and Time Spiral block, before NWO and FIRE, before planeswalkers, where cards and sets were allowed to be low power. If you subtract all the broken but popular design mistakes like Skullclamp and Jitte, that's a time period ripe for old border treatment.
This kind of list also allows for cards that never had a chance to shine because they always existed alongside better versions of themselves. Adding them back into this kind of environment allows them to be recontextualized in a cube that could have been. Things like
Equilibrium that let you play the tempo game.
Brood of Cockroaches and
Endless Cockroaches that now pair very well with new-to-old-border drain effects like
Blood Artist or a card like
Tormod, the Desecrator.
Purgatory allows midrange players to grind all day. Well, not all day, because old border doesn't have a ton of playable lifegain cards. And I do love me some
Tortured Existence, which does everything from dumping
incarnations into the yard to enabling welder, reanimator and madness.