General CBS

You know what Wizards could do to support pauper? Those Intro Decks/Welcome Decks that are chock full of commons and usually suck? Print pauper decks in those slots every so often! If I could just go to my FLGS with some friends and pick up ready-to-go pauper decks easily, we'd be playing pauper very frequently. But its so hard to find some of the old, obscure commons and I have yet to see a store have a deep selection of useful, pauper-meta level commons.

So does anyone have a good place where I can buy some customized stickers?
Also: Is this the right thread to ask such a question?

What you're looking for are "die-cut stickers". There's a lot of great places online (just google die-cut stickers) to get them made, depending on where you live for shipping might depend on who to choose.

Die-Cut Stickers

This might work!

I can choose a customized width, a customized height and a customized artwork.

Do you know how thick/thin the stickers will be?

Edit: I found the answer in the FAQ. The answer is 0,0034 inch or 0,08636 mm for those who are interested. That is super thin and will not be possible to notice in sleeves. I am currently pending with customer service because they are telling me they have the thickness of a normal playing card.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Looks... Weird? How's that supposed to work in offline? I imagine setting up a tournament scene is right out of the question, since you can't copy decklists?

No, people just invest a ton in searching for Willy Wonka's Magic Ticket of an optimized deck. Or it all just plays like random starter decks against each other.

There are aspects of it I like, feels like the type of idea one of you oddballs would come up with.

Also, for tournaments you could just make it so that you can play any legal decklist that exists. If there's some database lookup, and you have the cards, you just show up to a tournament with some DeckID and you're good to go. Probably violates some spirit of what they're trying to achieve though, since people could just mine for optimal DeckIDs and share them online.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I'm curious and apprehensive at the same time. Looks like it would be perfect for something online, but rather... hit or miss for offline play. Can you combine decks, switch out cards, etc., if you buy multiple decks?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of each deck being unique and every player having no tangible material advantage over another. My girlfriend likes these types of games, but doesn't like deckbuilding at all, so I'm always on the lookout for games with this type of quality.

Of course games with pre-constructed decks, but there's something abstractly appealing about having it be "your" deck.

In practice I worry that it's just going to be some Borderlands type of thing, where guns are all technically different, but don't provide a different experience. I'm sure there are millions of unique M14 sealed decks that have existed, but they probably don't feel that tangibly different from each other.

I had thought of something similar that I never got the make, but where the cards would be generated from a string. Like you make an algorithm to take in a string, and from it generates a card. Kind of like a hash function where the output is a card.

A few issues:
I was thinking of feeding the output of SHA256 or something, so there should be a LOT of unique possible cards (assuming not collision). This would require complex cards.
Randomly generating 0: win the game.
Finding a way to make cards that work from a string. I feel like this might end up like the custom magic subreddit: a lot of designs that mirror magic cards, but don't fit within the rules, something like Lightning Bolt with trample (super intuitive, doesn't work. Can't change trample without making pingers with trample better, or really awkward in the rules).
We can easily make 98% magic cards. Getting the last 2% to make it "work work" is hard.

I gotta run.

Laz

Developer
The cube spotlight series is back on MTGO, this time with Klug's pro tour cube from the 2016 make a cube contest.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...ube-spotlight-series-pro-tour-cube-2018-08-08

http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/114208

Oh, the cube, which at the time got such glowing reviews as:

"Yeah I gave Klug's cube a try...my god, was it bad. Tons of unsupported synergy cards, wildly disparate power level." - StormEntity
"that list is pretty miserable." - genericco
"I give it one week after launch before drafts stop firing." - Psyl4mne
"I just tried drafting the PT cube twice now. I got stuck midway through pack 2 both times and didn't know what to draft at all. Everything was too narrow or crappy or off color. I really don't understand how you navigate your way through unless literally everyone else at the table cements themselves into a deck from the get go and ignore the other drafters. With singletons, you NEED that critical mass of narrow enablers and payoff cards for your deck to function, but if you don't get them all, you're left with a mediocre pile and cannot hedge into something else.

It just looks like bad design to me, I can't imagine this being very successful if it wins the poll." - shamizy

Now, reimagined as:
"too good an idea to pass on forever" - Wizards of the Coast

Oh lordy, the Pro Tour cube has a wider power band than mine did/does (for now). Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to but Sengier Vampire in the same list as Grave Titan. I mean, it's nostalgic I guess, but seriously. That card is just bad compared to some of the other options in the list. Seriously, who adds a bad card just for nostalgia?

TrainmasterGT said:
I just have too much nostalgia for Grim Guardian to cut him. He is a decent card in the right shell, and signals to players a type of deck they could be building. He's not good, but he is ok.

Oh yeah... I do... :oops:

In all seriousness, this list looks badddddddd. Illusions of Granduer and Donate are literally unplayable together unless you have them both. Serra Angel is right next to Baneslayer Angel. The twin stuff seems forced, and, Thoughtcast is literally unplayable next to Compulsive Research, Ponder, and Preordain. The colors aren't balanced. The gold slot is even worse off. Seriously, I got past most of these terrible design habits when I was 15 years old. 15!!

The idea of a cube where the archetypes are based on Pro-tour winning, top-8, and WOTC coverage featured decks would be an interesting thought experiment. There are a lot of archetypes that have been played across multiple pro-tours that would be cool to see come together. For example, you could combine Gerry Thompson's Pro Tour Amonkhet Zombie deck with this deck that was featured at Pro Tour Return to Ravnica:
A format where the cube designer tailored their design philosophy to make past pro-tour decks playable could be really cool. The problem is; a cards not decks singleton format with a restricted card pool based mostly off of standard decks is not going to be particularly good at this job. You simply can't play a good Zombie or Affinity deck in Klug's list. This format is going to be defined by goodstuff VS. goodstuff matches more likely than not.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't know where else to put this, but this alternate universe color pie article is cool as hell:

https://medium.com/@MirrorLogician/reslicing-the-color-pie-d70d31bda6a4

In the olden days, players looking to score a low blow on their opponents’ green decks packed cards like Flashfires to destroy all their Forests, while blue mages employed Flash Flood to wash out white permanents.
Right at the start, I'm like... Wait... Doesn't Flashfires destroy all Plains? You're thinking of Acid Rain, I think? And Flash Flood, I'm not sure what that card does, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't wash out white permanents...

/me checks cards...

Oh boy, that was a sloppy start...

Edit: Ok, that was an entertaining read, despite the sometimes sloppy mistakes.

Awesome article!!

My first thought: Hey let’s give it a chance. I can always stop reading after 30 seconds if I find it lame...

5 minutes later: Well that has gotta be 30 seconds of reading. Looking at the watch. Alright this is good. Let’s read it all.

Finishing thoughts: I want Tezzeret’s Rebellion now!

Sleightly lame cube if you ask me.

1 Point for trying though.

The only really smart thing about the cube is the “No color hosers”. Something the Reslicing the Color Pie also briefly spoke about: “We don’t have cards target specific other colors very often these days”

Other than that it feels like the cube has no real subtheme that functions well. A lot of lose ends. However this is just my personal opinion and I am writing from a PC very far away from the actual game-play where the cube has been tested so I might be wrong.

I'm gonna try and keep an open mind with these cubes.

I was pretty harsh on the Klug Pro Tour cube that was on MTGO, but people whose opinions I respect say they jammed dozens of drafts without getting bored or frustrated with the list.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It looks reasonable to me. It has a real structure to it, actual 10 archetypes, has weirdness for casual players, and using core set cards should make things more accesable.

The power gap could be honed a bit more narrow--some of the more charming interactions are going to be overshadowed by cards like the titans--but I can't really complain too much about this. The vision seems good, and I would rather provide constructive criticism.

Right at the start, I'm like... Wait... Doesn't Flashfires destroy all Plains? You're thinking of Acid Rain, I think? And Flash Flood, I'm not sure what that card does, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't wash out white permanents...

/me checks cards...

Oh boy, that was a sloppy start...

Edit: Ok, that was an entertaining read, despite the sometimes sloppy mistakes.

Those aren't mistakes. The article is written as if the alternate universe color pie is the only color pie and the author is referencing the alternate-reality versions of real cards.

Those aren't mistakes. The article is written as if the alternate universe color pie is the only color pie and the author is referencing the alternate-reality versions of real cards.

this totally went over my head.

I have to say, his conception of RW as a pair is something that speaks deeply to how I have long seen the colours; concerned with justice, courtly intrigue, rhetoric, and warfare. We get basically no RW religious cards, for example, which is a really neat aspect to the pair he points out that I had barely even realized we were missing. But it'd be so cool, and make so much intuitive sense!

On a re-read, now that I see little nods like "written by alternate universe Mark Rosewater", I like the article even more. Extremely good.