General CFB Store Credit Contest Ideas

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently I have some CFB store credit stockpiled from before I disappeared from Magic, and I was thinking of being generous with it for some unknown reason.

I wonder, is there some contest I could run with credit as a prize? Should we try to use it as evangelism? I could run like, a new user raffle and encourage people from Reddit to sign up. Would that be awful?

I could run a design contest. Or an article contest. That would generate front page content. Maybe let you all make articles and whoever gets the most pageviews on theirs gets some cash money?

I'm open to ideas peeps.

First of all, thanks for being so generous! I'd like it to be as fair as possible, whatever you decide to do. Here's my two cents:

Oh please not a recruitment drive. What does getting hundreds of randoms signing up for a chance at free money do? People will ask their friends to sign up/make as many fake accounts as possible. I guess if the goal is to make anyone worthwhile stay that sounds like the best way to spread the word. I'd prefer some kind of article or cube/card design contest. Pageviews is another abuseable thing though; judging is probably best in the spirit of fairness, but more work for you.

I'm suggesting prizes in the form of actual cards for peoples' cubes instead of credit. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like a card but simply can't bring themselves to drop the hard cash on something like mox diamond or vindicate that doesn't exactly make or break decks and is pretty hard to trade people for. Makes it a little more mysterious about what the actual prize pool is and can potentially make more people happy while avoiding dumping the bulk of the prize on one person.

CML

Contributor
This is easy. Remember when we pitched the "Dear Azami" idea for Cube to Kranny? Give people a $35 prize for submitting the most interesting Cube to make over, Riptide-style, and only good things can happen.

Here's my contest idea: Have a forum where each person writes a post entitled "Why My Cube Needs a [Input Desired Card Here]". See which entries are most persuasive, interesting,well-written, etc., and compile an article for the front page. You decide who gets their dream cards. (Voting or page-view counts would be a bit awkward...)

It could be an interesting way to get a range of people to discuss their favorite cards, archetypes, and their cube philosophy. And hey, they could get all game theoretic and request a $0.50 card, or try and shoot the moon and describe why they need Kozilek. I'm planning on writing why my cube needs three more Gravecrawlers...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This is easy. Remember when we pitched the "Dear Azami" idea for Cube to Kranny? Give people a $35 prize for submitting the most interesting Cube to make over, Riptide-style, and only good things can happen.

Store credit can only be given in $25 increments.

I'm planning on writing why my cube needs three more Gravecrawlers...

But I already wrote that article.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I think the contest should be an article contest, answering the core question of magic. The one I've never heard a good answer to, the one nobody wants to approach because madness lies down that path: Why the fuck are we shelling out hundreds of dollars for tiny pieces of cardboard? The man who can explain this must be the man who deserves this money.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
One idea I had is a theoretical cube creation exercise. Think Eldrazi Domain, where we take a bunch of mechanics and ideas and push them together for one unique environment. I'd love to see what you guys come up with, and maybe somebody would even be inspired to bring one of the ideas to reality. You wouldn't have to provide a list, but you would need an outline along with sample cards to show how various archetypes are supported and intersected.

CML

Contributor
I think the contest should be an article contest, answering the core question of magic. The one I've never heard a good answer to, the one nobody wants to approach because madness lies down that path: Why the fuck are we shelling out hundreds of dollars for tiny pieces of cardboard? The man who can explain this must be the man who deserves this money.

i can answer that if you give me about 125,000 words, six months and a healthy advance

i like wadds's idea but creating such an environment to the point where it works well is a herculean task. whereas overlaying some finer ideas on existing shells is more realistic / a healthier metaphor for the role of riptide

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is the topic "find a card that is worth including in multiples and how to integrate it" worth a shot? The most fun I've had in cube design is making Gravecrawler and Pod work.

Reactions: CML

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
That's quite a cool one. I had tremendous fun making my white aggro work by doubling up on stuff. It is such a pleasure to have thought of it, put it into action, and then have it proven powerful in draft. It would be a cool competition, as long as everyone tried things we haven't already been talking about.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, that's the competition. $25 to the winner. $25 to the best two if we get a lot of entries. Subjective judging. Go go go people.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's open to everyone who is not me. Send me an article in PM, you all have two weeks. December 13th deadline, but earlier is appreciated.