Article Channel Cube Cast: Black

CML

Contributor
good ol gravecrawler griselbrand joke, one of my favorite things you guys have said!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Good listen, as always. I don't think Andy gives Jason enough credit for the innovations he's made to the black recursive aggro archetype. Andy's running 3x Gravecrawler and 2x Bloodghast, for crying out loud.

I like their classification of the archetype as aggro-combo. For as much as cube designers are always trying to shove sideways combos into their cubes, it's funny that there might be a combo deck already in our cubes, lying right under our noses.

They did open my eyes to one sac outlet I hadn't thought about - Undercity Informer. It feels like a three drop that requires another mana to activate might be a hair slow, but it does set up your graveyard pretty nicely. Also, I'll have to give Puppeteer Clique another shot, if I ever slot Birthing Pod back in.

Also - Jason! I think the comment you left on the article itself sells your own ideas a little short. I've read all your articles, so I know that when you talk about layering black sacrifice effects with other colours in your cube, you're referring to things like Treason effects and Birthing Pod. But it's not really clear what you're referring to in your short comment. And it seems like the responders to your comment are confused for this reason.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I will say in Andy's defense that I think he came to many of the same card choices independently, even if I was the one to write about them publicly. I think I did more work in connecting the sacrifice themes to other colors, but in the end credit's not all that important. As long as people are having fun with the ideas and making more enjoyable cubes, then the goal has been achieved. Honestly though, even when breaking singleton, there are not that many strategies that are sufficiently powered at the power level of a traditional small cube. It's not really all that surprising that another creative mind would come to the same conclusions.

These zombie decks are often more intricate to play than control decks, and your success highly depends on the skill and familiarity of the pilot. There's a reason Sam Black's zombie deck never became widely adopted.

Rob Dennis

Developer
I'd like it if whatever influence you / anyone have accrued with CFB could be directed at getting channel cube cast to fire at least bi-weekly. It's a good show.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like it if whatever influence you / anyone have accrued with CFB could be directed at getting channel cube cast to fire at least bi-weekly. It's a good show.

I'd like that too, but it's a bit outside my domain. The best I can do is write controversial articles that spark discussion. They're already pretty well aware that people would like them to go online more frequently.