Article ChannelFireball: Magic 2014 Review

Chris Taylor

Contributor
good assessment. The only thing I'd have included is something about Mindsparker, nobody seems to be talking about that guy, and he's one of the more efficient bodies red's gotten in a while.
I think he might play like countryside crusher without just shutting off your land draws

CML

Contributor
sweet review, wish there had been more space to explain the elvish mystic joke and wallow in snark

i really just think lifebane zombie is the best card in the set, though that kind of color hoser may not be something everyone's interested in.

YET ANOTHER SKINRENDER MENTION WITHOUT THE GRANDADDY OF EM ALL, Murderous Redcap (though skinrender wins that fight head-to-head)

path of bravery not worthy of consideration?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
path of bravery not worthy of consideration?

Is it? It's a strange card because the two halves are pretty bad in situations where the other half is good. The anthem is unlikely to kick in during the aggro mirror (where lifegain actually helps), and the lifegain is unlikely to matter in against control (where the anthem does help).

Other issue is that it might not be an anthem straight away, especially with fetches and shocks and such. I don't know if the impact is sufficiently high to warrant inclusion in a deck over some other threat (Blade Splicer, Silverblade, etc.). But I also don't really support tokens and maybe am completely mis-evaluating.

CML

Contributor
yeah i dunno it probably sucks. one of those cards i try once and then wonder what the hell i'm doing.

the opposite -- cards that end up being way better than i expected -- are bigger errors, though. so i tend to err on the side of trying everything

I really liked the article. The evaluations on the Hydra and Lifebane Zombie were about what I expected but very elegantly put and well presented. Don't think you needed to waste time on Witchstalker, though, especially since there was not much to talk about. Also thoroughly enjoyed your analysis on Elvish Mystic :p