Article ChannelFireball: Set Cubes

Might be one of your best articles to date. Loved the intersection of real math with cube design. I wished more articles were about decisions based on data analysis and less about "I think these cards are powerful" (not that those aren't entertaining).

CML

Contributor
Terrific stuff, Jason. a few thoughts:

-did you know the 6{3}1 ratio of C:U:R in retail sets approximates the ratio for the amount of a single card opened based on which set it's in? i.e. the ratio of serra avengers to molten disasters to tarmogoyfs opened in TPF draft is ~6{3}1 (11{6}2 is more precise given a number of unrealistic assumptions, like no prize packs or a constant rate of drafting). anyway, i have no idea what to make of this, but i typed it out anyway cuz fuck it.

-i liked that this was mainly about the thought process behind building such a cube instead of the experience thereof, since that's what i was interested in and that's what we do best.

SWEET

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Not to go overboard on the praise, but I thought the article was stellar. These kind of recurring questions about common / uncommon / rare ratios pop up over and over again on various forums, so I hope this article gets linked as an answer for years to come. I know you hate writing beginner articles, but this was easily an out-of-the-park home run.

Also, those stats and charts were sweet!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys.

-did you know the 6{3}1 ratio of C:U:R in retail sets approximates the ratio for the amount of a single card opened based on which set it's in? i.e. the ratio of serra avengers to molten disasters to tarmogoyfs opened in TPF draft is ~6{3}1 (11{6}2 is more precise given a number of unrealistic assumptions, like no prize packs or a constant rate of drafting). anyway, i have no idea what to make of this, but i typed it out anyway cuz fuck it.

I'm not really sure what you were saying. Were you being tautalogical? The rate at which a card is opened equates to the rate at which cards are in the packs?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I took it to mean that the ratio of cards within a rarity opened across First Big Set : Second Small Set: Third Small Set is roughly analogous to the ratio of commons / uncommons / rares opened within a set itself.