Sets [CNS] Conspiracy Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The best threads are the ones that get derailed on the first page and never get back on track.

The artwork for the kithkin is probably my favourite. Even if the last card is unplayable dreck.

I played a ton of treefolk, too, but that artwork was.. less memorable. If you can't even make out where the tree ends and the folk begin, how can you identify with this tribe?

It would be nice for them in conspiracy so the new printing of them doesn't have the god-awful new frame... conspiracy is the last set to not have it.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
SelvalaExplorerReturned.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
In a 1 v 1 setting, if both players are running 17/40 land, then:

2 = 33%
1 = 49%
0 = 18%

The ramp compares unfavorable to any of the {G}{G} for 3 effects (overgrowth Fyndhorn Elder). Obviously the much better body and lifegain are huge boons and the howling mine does stuff that is probably in a ramp decks favor. If you can stomach some inconsistency, its pretty good.

And absolutely retarded in 2-headed giant.

what about this flame rift in black
Tyrant's Choice {1}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Will of the council - Starting with you, each player votes for death or torture. If death gets more votes, each opponent sacrifices a creature. If torture gets more votes or the vote is tied, each opponent loses 4 life.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
what about this flame rift in black
Tyrant's Choice {1}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Will of the council - Starting with you, each player votes for death or torture. If death gets more votes, each opponent sacrifices a creature. If torture gets more votes or the vote is tied, each opponent loses 4 life.

Seems even worse, vis a vis lack of redirection.

I kind of like Will of the Council as a mechanic, or anything that involves the opponent on your turn and both players making decisions really. That this one is actually just black flame rift 100% of the time - so I don't think it's that exciting...

Could be a lot of fun in multiplayer, though.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, in 1v1 play, assuming somebody doesn't drastically fuck up their read of the board state, these things should end up as the "tied" ruling nearly 100% of the time.

Marchesa, the Black Rose {1}{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for the most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Other creatures you control have dethrone.
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, return that card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
3/3

i dont think this has much cube potential but i think its neat

btw i designed a white counterspell with a voting mechanic a while ago but i like 'will of the council' a lot better because it has a default tied mode too for 1v1

Seems even worse, vis a vis lack of redirection.
"even" worse? flame rift is played in legacy burn and this doesn't hit its owner, so its better in matchups where your own life total doesn't matter. probably not cubing it ever though

I mean, in 1v1 play, assuming somebody doesn't drastically fuck up their read of the board state, these things should end up as the "tied" ruling nearly 100% of the time.

Yeah this is true. I guess I was being hopeful for some Will of the Council card that involved hidden information. Maybe something like Oracle of Bones, but more aggressively costed. Though I read the mechanic again and voting one player at a time is pretty awful, especially since the caster has to vote first.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I see why they do that though. At least with show and tell you can put the cards in play face down and flip them for the simultaneous reveal, but here you'd have to like, write stuff down or something, or hide coins and decide which flavor vote word (notice they're all different) means heads.

Just a bit simpler

Lore Seeker [2]
Artifact Creature - Construct
Reveal Lore Seeker as you draft it. After you draft Lore Seeker, you may add a booster pack to the draft. (Your next pick is from that booster pack. Pass it to the next player and it's drafted this draft round.)
2/2

Looks like it would be fun.

Laz

Developer
Lore Seeker [2]
Artifact Creature - Construct
Reveal Lore Seeker as you draft it. After you draft Lore Seeker, you may add a booster pack to the draft. (Your next pick is from that booster pack. Pass it to the next player and it's drafted this draft round.)
2/2

Looks like it would be fun.

Looks confusing. Especially if printed at a Rarity lower than Rare/Mythic. What if this gets taken as a later pick? Do you suddenly have 8 packs of 6 and 1 pack of 15 being passed around? Does this read, 'you get an extra first pick'? What if multiple of these are opened?

In cube, what does this mean? Should you be playing 375, so you actually have a booster pack to add?