General Cockatrice cube draft?

Which cubes are you most interested in drafting, and when? Choose any that sound good.

• FlowerSunRain's cube

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Eldrazi Domain cube

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • CML's Cube

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Grillo's Innistrad 360 cube

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Eric Chan's cube

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • The Etherium Astrolabe

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • The Dandy Cube (is it even possible to draft custom cards online?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Time: Friday 1/23 8 pm MST

• Time: Saturday 1/24 5 pm MST

• Time: Saturday 1/24 7 pm MST

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to try some of the cubes I've seen on here, to get a better feel for how they play than just reading the lists.

Would anyone else be up for this? If so: which cube, and when? If there's sufficient interest, the time and cube with the most votes wins!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I don't suggest using my cube, between custom text, double picks and separate lands it would be a huge pain in the ass.

VibeBox

Contributor
i actually just found a .deb someone compiled that really works for ubuntu so i will actually now be quite interested in cubing on cockatrice

VibeBox

Contributor
i am lobbying for etherium astrolabe
i just became aware of its existence and it's really cool

Someone should make a cockatrice database with all the custom cards any of us run, so we can share it beforehand and draft chris's cube sometime

Drafting, as far as I've seen, is done on drafts.in. At best, we could maybe draft dud cards in there as stand-ins for custom cards, which we'd then load in cockatrice, via some sort of database...?

"Someone" should make a database for the lazies, to be sure, lol. Someone strong and smart or something.

Hm. I really feel like it should be possible though? At least you can do custom sets when using just straight up Cockatrice. Does draft.in book keep new sets themselves?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
In terms of drafting my cube online: It's doable, but a pain. You kinda need to come up with placeholders for each (65+) custom card, and just pretend they do what I've said they do. It sucks ass.

Doing a utility land draft wouldn't be too hard, btw. You just need two windows open, and do the land draft in one of them while you're doing the main draft in the other.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Then we can use my dope utility land draft website. Though actually I'd rather not host it on my pc. Someone like eric chan should give me access to the server so I can host it there... And go mad with power.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've never used cockatrice before, so I'm not sure how this would all work; but please do the scuttlemutt cube at some point. I have wanted to try drafting that since I first saw it on the forums.

If you guys do my cube, I would suggest a couple practice drafts on cubetutor, to at least situate yourself somewhat.

if you're trying to export magic set editor data to cockatrice you'll need this for custom cards
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l2xwi9qpyzm21aa/cockatrice-export-template-jan04-2014.zip
i found this somewhere a year ago and it had a ton of issues w formatting and some bugs and i fixed it up
the original credits were this but i have no idea who these people are
"# By LtEntropy
# Written by modifying the forum export template
# Modified code which was based on code by Idle Muse, Innuendo and Seeonee"

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
my first instinct would be to extend the excellent work that's been done on drafts.in already, which is an open-source project

https://github.com/aeosynth/draft

i actually tried to play around with the guy's codebase at one point, but gave up because i didn't want to learn two new languages. if coding isn't your thing, you can contribute simply by opening an 'issue' in that repo, and try to convince the owner why your request should be prioritized. jason did this successfully with the draft recaps feature, by emailing the guy and having a back & forth

https://github.com/aeosynth/draft/issues/28

edit: holy crap the guy rewrote his whole codebase in plain ol' javascript... it should be possible for normal humans to contribute now

edit edit: oh noes i think the draft recaps are gone now as part of said rewrite :(

my first instinct would be to extend the excellent work that's been done on drafts.in already, which is an open-source project

https://github.com/aeosynth/draft

i actually tried to play around with the guy's codebase at one point, but gave up because i didn't want to learn two new languages. if coding isn't your thing, you can contribute simply by opening an 'issue' in that repo, and try to convince the owner why your request should be prioritized. jason did this successfully with the draft recaps feature, by emailing the guy and having a back & forth

https://github.com/aeosynth/draft/issues/28

edit: holy crap the guy rewrote his whole codebase in plain ol' javascript... it should be possible for normal humans to contribute now

edit edit: oh noes i think the draft recaps are gone now as part of said rewrite :(

Awesome I will do this tonight.

edit: dang I have to see if I can run node.js on my shared server first.
edit: can't. Not paying for a dedicated IP.

Maybe I'll write from scratch tonight in PHP. probably not, sounds like a lot of work.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
we can't host the code for drafts.in here actually, for the same reason that Suicufnoc can't :(