General Color Pair Draft Archetypes

For a moment I thought this was turn 2 combo kill, then I realized the "only once a turn" clause on the ranger. Phew. But still, looks really sweet and powerful.

Question is, how useful are these cards outside of these interactions? I mean, sure, Meloku would always be among my strogest 5-drops, but the other moonfolk, the Rangers and the Scouts, do some decks actually play them without already having these interactions?

The thing is, I try to keep the number of (non-multicolored) cards, which only go into one exact deck as low as possible, and if, I wanna use these slots for cards like Life from the Loam, which can really carry a strategy and pull you into a direction during a draft.

For bouncing your own lands: Gush, Fathom Seer, Simic Growth Chamber, or probably even Trade Routes are cards, other decks will be interested in. I think the Moonfolk, as much as I like them, can not contribute enough to be interesting for more than the landfall deck.

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes:

For those of you who run a Jeskai spell-matters theme, what Azorius multicolored cards do you run?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
O9RAEj8.jpg

Though at this point he should probably just make a 1/1 prowess monk token when he dies, since +1/+1 counters isn't a white archetype in my cube anymore.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been enjoying {U/B} discard. Sample decklist:

UB Discard For Profit

So, there's some customs in my cube, but this deck is really fun to pilot!

Vedalken Inquisitor.full.jpg Reevaluate.full.jpg Skullcliff Cove.full.jpg

This is from a testing sessions, so not all cards may end up in my cube. I was looking for some new discard outlets, and Compulsion and Waterfront Bouncer have been great! Tortured Existence was a bit too much with the discard payoff cards.

I have no experience with this archetype, but I'm pretty confident, that Merfolk Looter and Looter il-Kor would be incredible for it, while being generally good and draw-smoothing dudes. Also, Deep Analysis is a card I'm always happy to discard.

You probably have a reason to exclude these classics though, right? :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have no experience with this archetype, but I'm pretty confident, that Merfolk Looter and Looter il-Kor would be incredible for it, while being generally good and draw-smoothing dudes. Also, Deep Analysis is a card I'm always happy to discard.

You probably have a reason to exclude these classics though, right? :p
Yeah, because my looters of choice are baby Jace, Wharf Infiltrator, the custom Vedalken Inquisitor, and, soon, Compulsion. I ran Deep Analysis for the longest time, but switched to Glimmer of Genius to support the energy subtheme.

The Amonkhet "cycling matters" cards are so great for cube because they added the or discard clause to the "whenever you cycle" language. The cycling deck came together pretty well in that draft format, but by including regular discard in the fray you end up with cards that are great fun in eternal formats.

I run the following in blue/black that haven't been mentioned:

This is an excellent archetype to run if you are already running a madness theme in your Rakdos section, because the black discard enablers slot into either archetype, and it opens the possibility for a UR Madness deck to come together as well. I listed it above, but I want to highlight this card because it is excellent in these archetypes:

The following is a great signpost gold card that you are running this archetype: