Sets Commander 2016 Spoilers

Is it not falter with vigilance and draw a card that helps you win more if they have to block?

This was my reading of it. Even if they don't block, you've got access to tap abilities, blockers for Villain's turn, and you drew a card and got some free damage in. The frontside of a Think Twice also isn't a bad rate in {G}. Add in some spicy mana dorks or tap ability creatures, and it seems like a fine enough filler piece to me that opens up some potentially interesting board states.

I think the blocking-punisher effect is much worse than Falter. With Falter you can ignore combat math and alpha strike, but here they can maximize their blocking choices to kill your creatures and take into account the card advantage, and at a potentially severe loss of tempo for you. Also, if you're playing Falter then usually your strategy is to reach, which means you need every last bit of damage, but with Benefactor's Draught they would still chump your most damaging threat at the cost of one card. It's also unlikely that vigilance would be as important if your strategy wants Falter.

Being a cantrip is great though. I would probably be more likely to draft it for a midrange deck.

It would be a lot better if your cube has a lot of combat tricks.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This was my reading of it. Even if they don't block, you've got access to tap abilities, blockers for Villain's turn, and you drew a card and got some free damage in. The frontside of a Think Twice also isn't a bad rate in {G}. Add in some spicy mana dorks or tap ability creatures, and it seems like a fine enough filler piece to me that opens up some potentially interesting board states.

My thoughts too, but I suspect its still a fairly low power card that wants a specific format setup. In terms of dig->mana ramp, its ceiling is much lower than frantic search, for instance.

Have to say that I still really like it, and it seems like a fun card to play. It can ramp mana, and anything that lets you ramp and dig at the same time is always a good feeling. Seems like a natural fit in a mana dork heavy U/G deck, and it also provides some much needed depth to R/G, where it can be used to abuse red's pingers.

These guys seems perfect for that sort of setup, as they want both mana and additional untaps, while benefiting from green buffs:

I'm actually way more interested in it as a cantriping untap than using it as a block punisher.

I've been going back over the Commander 2016 stuff and I'm interested in peoples' experiences with these cards:

Has anyone tried the 4-colour commanders? Are they remotely castable?

Any other partners that are worth considering? The UR Ludevic and the UB artifact one seem kind of interesting.

breya is a good welder target. doesnt autowin and provides interesting options on a 6/6. ive never casted either

atraxa played like a big green vampire nighthawk limited to being cheated in with gsz / pod / eldritch evolution. then with a couple pw behind it the second ability shined. i didnt have much in counters cept lands and pw. could work better if you support a counter shell

silas renn is ok. slow like hanna but the activation was like a punish effect. better when didnt have targets in gy. id slot fair glissa back in my list.

the other two look pretty nice. reyhan would be cool with varolz