Sets Conspiracy 2 Spoilers Thread

An intriguing Tooth and Nail twist, with Brainstorm potential shenanigans. 6 mana seems really reasonable for this, even in 2-player. High ceiling, acceptable floor (topdeck and flip 1 creature? If you're topdecking and behind, the creature is probably a solid deal).

Holy shit, I just read Grenzo again. He says each creature that deals combat damage, not just him. That's bonkers. He's basically red Edric.

You are only allowed to cast the cards until end of turn and you still have to pay mana, though. I think the kind of deck that wants a 2/2 for RR will hardly have too much mana to spare, so I don't think you will be able to play too many cards per turn. Still a good card, but it's no Edric.

On the other hand, this could be a funny and non-poisony way to squeeze a mill theme in your Cube :D

Chris Taylor

Contributor
assembletherankandvile.jpg

Is it just me or is this the new Muzzio's Preparations? (IE solid on most creatures but outright broken on some. Gravecrawler in this case, Persist creatures in the latter)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Last 8 cards are up!
emissarysploy.jpg

Interesting. All your 1, 2 or 3 drops are colorless? I know my pod decks tend to get clustered around 3 sometimes...
adrianasvalor.jpg

Could be cool. Seems sweet for high power low toughness guys, or saboteurs.

Laz

Developer
Or, if it goes anything like last Conspiracy, you can take every single Goblin Balloon Brigade that no one wants and name Goblin Balloon Brigade with all 5 hidden agendas you drafted.

Well that is preferable to last time I played Conspiracy, where someone had all the Quag Vampires, named them with their conspiracies and beat me to death in unceremonious fashion because I had the temerity to be the only other person playing swamps at the table.

Being beaten to death by flying Toads sounds a lot more fun.

So, what includes are you folks looking at? I'd really like to hear what everyone's thinking on this set.

In exchange(?), here's a bunch of thoughts I've been stewing on re: questionable includes

I'm deeply curious about Sanctum Prelate, though it might be a little too cute in cube, where the players who are going to best play it are the cube designer and the longtime spikes. I'm not sure if that feels very fair for my group, but it's a really novel effect. I suppose you could learn in the first few matches what cards you want to stop most (we do more than 3 most of the time here), but even then, a 2/2 for 3 is not where you really want to be on an effect that -might- matter. I'm not sure.

Custodi Lich, Regal Behemoth, and Queen Marchesa all look like really cool Monarch cards, but I'm not sure which I want to actually include. I had originally thought only running Marchesa would be cool, so she brings a minigame to the table, but Lich and Behemoth are both really swell options (especially Behemoth), so I'm not sure. I'm tempted to just go with Marchesa for flavour purposes...

Selvala, Heart of the Wilds looks great, but it's a real downer that her draw effect will typically work for your opponent first at least. She might be too weird outside of commander.

Leovold, Emissary of Trest seems really cool, but maybe not quite cubeworthy? I really like him though

Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast... Who asked for this? And what do I do with it? I'm thinking it's too strong and not the colours I want artifacts-matter to be a "thing" in, but I really like the art and flavour of it, and that ult looks super fun (assuming you ever get to it what with that minus ability being so great and easy to work with).

Caller of the Untamed is a neat 4-drop, but probably a bit too bland to make the cut.

I'm also not too sure about Conspiracies. They look overall more fair this time, but I'm not sure what's worth running here. I guess Summoner's Bond could be the coolest and easiest one to pack (with no Kiki-Twin combo available, of course), but maybe even that is too iffy.

I've been so focused on the stupid 540 list for the cube contest that I haven't even worked on my actual paper cube. Here's what I'm looking at including.

Not that many, now that I look at it. Hmm.

I'm not sure that sanctum prelate seems like a fun card, and your comments about insider knowledge is probably valid. I think I'd pass.

Monarch strikes me as a lots of or very few number of cards type of mechanic. I think Queen Marchesa is by far and away the right card - it's in aggro colours, gives aggro a way to stay in the game and creates a unique, flavourful mini game by itself. The lich and behemoth are powerful cards by themselves, but not particularly interesting. They can also by their nature support a walling up and drawing a bunch of cards until I landslide you into submission approach. I think I might add Queen Marchesa - the three colours means that she is less frequently going to come up which will keep the approach special.

Selvala looks too swingy - yes your opponent might get cards off it but it can make a ridiculous amount of mana. Entering cheating territory potentially.

Leovald seems okay but not interesting/exciting enough for a wedge card. I would probably rather play a UBG card that fitted in with those colours strategy, like Sidisi.

Agree with you Daretti, too strong and not the right colours. Kaladesh if it gives black something interesting to do with artifacts might make me reconsider.

Recruiter of the guard - is just a value card that isn't that interesting. If it specifically supported a type of deck, like enlightened tutor did then I'd be interested, but I guess a lot of the time it's just getting you the best card in your deck for that situation. I'm not sure that's what I want to squeeze into whites tight three drop.

I really like borderland explorer, non-boring body that helps ensure that everybody has the chance to have a good game, thins your deck if you only have land, is a discard outlet and feeds your graveyard. This is definately going in.

I think Conspiracy was a little slim on new includes for me, which is perfectly fine for a reprint set. The two I'm looking at right now are:

But I could see a couple more finding their way in. I'll have to reevaluate the set a bit to see what I find. I'm very excited about the Recruiter specifically because it gives white something fun and powerful to do, and it works in both creature heavy and light decks. Explorer would be replacing Sylvan Ranger most likely, as a cooler way to interact with the theme of my cube while still providing the fixing effect.