Card/Deck Creature lands

On these stormy waters, I just navigated out of looking like a dangerous misogynist, into accidently alienating my muse, and now the subject that I was defending is described like the emotional and intellectual equivalent of using gay as a slur. Try not being a feminist for the last three-four years, it’s a... a.. You will mince your words is what I mean.

And it is hard. At least when chauvinism reigned I could play with the discourse without looking like I kicked a kitten. In a social climate where people are this easily accused (or insinuated to be bad) and something like manlands can be taken that personal. A lot of people chose not to talk, or when they do it’s carefully guarded and without much of an in. Threats and curses are easier to deal with than this for someone like me. What I am getting at is that although the social climate looks like it is getting more inclusive, it is more like a shift of who is included, what is allowed to talk about, how we are allowed to talk about it. I mean looking back I can see how it escalated, page 2 looked so harmonic. Maybe claims of censorship and arguments for freedom of speech are stifling, provocative and farfetched somehow, maybe I need to check my privilege and become more grounded and respectful. Maybe there can be an ideological platform that values these equally (but hopefully values freedom of speech just a little bit more). Maybe old school freedom of speech loyalists are truly incompatible with the new school and I am an unfeeling clumsy artifact of the past.

I think they are compatible though, I definitely think there is a middle-ground. We could build culture, inclusivity without erasing culture. In the meantime I will assimilate by calling them creature-lands as a token of goodwill. And because posting in this thread is feeling more and more like Russian roulette and I am running out of bullets.

I was thinking manamonsters sounded neat but the difference between mana sources and lands is so massive that people would always assume you were talking about an elf or something.

I think I like duals that can attack or block more than I like just about anything besides original dual lands, given a fair availability of fetch lands.

I'm really not sure why people consider them in the multicolour spell section it seems needlessly complicating and like its gonna confuse your numbers (not to mention it's annoying af on cubetutor)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I went and edited a disclaimer into one of my first misguided posts in this topic in case someone stumbles upon it and thinks "what a tool!" Just so you don't have to look it up, it goes something like this:

To elaborate, I have nothing at all against social justice warriors, even if I can't always see what certain changes would add to their cause (like the manland renaming). I meant to ask a theoretical question here (i.e. in that post) about a probably and hopefully very small group of people kinda posing as sjw's online without putting in the real world effort I'ld expect from true sjw's, and worded it very poorly because of multiple reasons (among them me being only vaguely familiar with the terminology and me not being a native English speaker). A question, also, I admittedly still find interesting, because it speaks to the nature of humankind. It may still be an ill-advised question even if I had put it into context, considering what some people here went through. By asking that question the way I did, I totally gave the impression I was a short-sighted idiot, whereas in reality I'm a short sighted idiot who's pro equal rights, regardless of faith, skin color, gender or sexual orientation, including same-sex marriage, and including same-sex couples raising kids. I'll also try to use another word than manland from now on, because really, it's not all that much trouble to do so anyway, so why resist when others do care?

Again, sorry for the toes I stubbed, and thanks (in hindsight) Lucas for calling me out.

I'd love to see a cube environment where you can build a deck other than Ux control and expect to win mostly on the backs of animated lands.

I'd love to see a cube environment where you can build a deck other than Ux control and expect to win mostly on the backs of animated lands.
Lol me and Chris might be the guys you wana talk to but to be fair I've had some decks like that in incarnations of Eric Chans cube.

One thing I've found is that dorklands are a pretty essential to white control decks that aren't blue and super duper sweet in your non red aggro decks. On the backs of is a weird idea to me anyway I really rarely have a blue control deck in cube with enough disruption to win exclusively with manamonsters. The creatures are just too good these days anyway. Lanimators are just convenient ways to make use of pressure or maintain inevitability.

I used to play this card in my cube (fairly low powered at the time) and the guys I played with found it to be pretty consistently unfun. It felt vaguely like playing overrun in the sense that you were almost always able to end the game when you cast it, but you didn't need much board presence to set up for it. More specifically, if you were against control and they didn't counter it, you won. If you were against midrange and the board was even, you won. Against aggro, you could be super far behind and almost dead, then kill them out of the blue with this card because all their creatures were tapped. But then there were games where it just rotted in your hand because its 8 mana.

What do we all think about?

Looks to me like it could be a monster in bant control or maybe some Junk reanimation/gy deck? even enters untapped and supports {c}!

I've tested it. A great body but Threshold makes it very unattractive. It really wasn't live often enough for our tastes and despite KotR being able to tutor it/feed the yard for it, we never got excited for it.
imho the biggest problem is that it's best as an uninteractive control finisher at a lower power level, but those same lower power environs don't really want such a strong, uninteractive control finisher. :p

Do you folks ever see Life// get played, though? In my groups it's always //Death that gets picked and played, as reanimation combos and archetypes are supported in a way that wide, green one-turn-kill strategies are not. Like, if I drafted Elesh Norn and Life//Death early enough I'd be interested in cheating her into play with Death more than the turn 8 overrun.

It doesn't help that there isn't much overlap between the strategies, even in a green/black deck.

It's really just for the // Death side for us with the rogue, 1 in a billion chance of life. I'm not sure what people are doing to make Life the playable side of that card.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It isn't that rare. I would never put the card in my deck for the express purpose of casting that side of the card, but once in a while its relevant. Sometimes a shitty green lava axe is all you need and when it isn't reanimate is a decent place to be.

Note: I haven't run the card in years.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's really just for the // Death side for us with the rogue, 1 in a billion chance of life. I'm not sure what people are doing to make Life the playable side of that card.
I always assumed everybody had Life // Death in their black section. Life very occasionally happens to Lava Axe someone out of a Golagri deck after a Wrath hit the board, which sometimes is definitely better than Lava Axe-ing yourself after a Wrath hit the board with the Death side ;)

Edit: Sheesh... FSR beat me to it, even using the same Lava Axe comparison o_O

Sad about the Monastery test results. Kinda makes me want to record how many times a deck with G and W gets threshold in my cube though.... (or just try it myself because science)

While I'm hanging around looking at creature lands on Gatherer and all this discussion on GB stuff is happenin, how about another one? Anyone tested this beaut?:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sad about the Monastery test results. Kinda makes me want to record how many times a deck with G and W gets threshold in my cube though.... (or just try it myself because science)

While I'm hanging around looking at creature lands on Gatherer and all this discussion on GB stuff is happenin, how about another one? Anyone tested this beaut?:
I ran it in my ULD because Grim Backwoods sucks. It hasn't been picked, let alone activated.