General Cube Storage

I am looking for a better way to storage my cube. I've been using a fancy cardboard box, but now I want something more sturdy than that. On Etsy I saw someone who makes nice wooden boxes, but I was wondering if there is also something similar available in Europe since importing such a box from the US comes with extra taxes.

Does anybody know where I could buy nice wooden storage for my cube within the EU? :)

If you have any diy interest at all, it only takes wood, premade hinges, 4 screws, wood glue, hand saw, measuring tape, and some clamps to make a box. Bonus points if you can get access to a laser engraver for adding some sweet designs to it.

I'm still using an old cardboard box and hoping to switch over to something nice. These are some of the things I've considered buying:

KakaPopo U1 - This might be one of the best options but I'm not convinced its enough. The name sounds like doodoo but the bird its named after looks pretty cool. I need to be convinced though that this is a product that could last for years. Maybe if the plastic components were made of aluminum instead.

Ultra Pro CUB3, Grimoire, Cain's Custom Boxes - Custom boxes are tempting. Reviews of the CUB3 literally tear it apart though and the Grimoire looks like, well, kakapopo.

The CUBE VAULT might still be kicking around the internet. Its a high end option, you had to pledge $100 for it, but it looks sexy. I would like actual reviews of the product though. Did it live up to the hype? Did the hype train abruptly fall off the rails?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
2 big problems I had with my cube vault:
1) it weighs a full 1o pounds or close. Damn thing would probably stop a bullet, and is probably overkill
2) Shipping to canada was 150$

I purchased a wooden cube storage and transport unit from "Fox and Dragon" on Etsy, and I've been very pleased with it. It costed about 50ish at the time.

2 big problems I had with my cube vault:
1) it weighs a full 1o pounds or close. Damn thing would probably stop a bullet, and is probably overkill
2) Shipping to canada was 150$

I found the cube vault website but with no real pricing listed until you contact them I guess and I can't find any real reviews anywhere. Has it held up fine over time? Is the combination lock worth it?

I purchased a wooden cube storage and transport unit from "Fox and Dragon" on Etsy, and I've been very pleased with it. It costed about 50ish at the time.

Oh God that Etsy store tempts me. Custom engravings too. Is the latch enough to keep it closed if it got tossed around or pulled out of a backpack?

Oh God that Etsy store tempts me. Custom engravings too. Is the latch enough to keep it closed if it got tossed around or pulled out of a backpack?

I've had it for about 2 months. The latch comes with a shitty key that I don't use, but the latch itself is super solid. I haven't felt it give an inch, even when held upside down. The leather handle is also very well built. At first I was nervous holding it by the handle because, you know... my cube is worth some 8,500, but after two months I am confident in the handle's durability.

Gonna be honest, I'm really pleased with it. I can show you detailed pictures of it if you'd like.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Oh wow, I might just buy one of those 750 sleeved cards boxes. That's perfect for cube + basic lands + tokens + dice!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I've been pretty happy with it. Lemme know if you want to see pics of the box I have for ref's sake.

Yikes! €73.09 for the box (including latch, hinges, handle, and custom image on top) plus €47.08 (!) shipping plus ~ €40 customs clearance. That's not funny :(

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I found the cube vault website but with no real pricing listed until you contact them I guess and I can't find any real reviews anywhere. Has it held up fine over time? Is the combination lock worth it?

Yeah I backed his initial kickstarter, so things may have changed.

It held up fine. I wasn't really aware you could get it without the combination lock, and the spring kept popping out on mine. Easily fixed each time however

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That might be it. I live in the US and I think they're a US- based company, so a lot of the BS shipping fees don't apply to me. Sorry =(
Well, no need to apologize, it's not like it's your fault that oversees shipping is so expensive! :) It is a bummer though, that deck box looks super sweet!