General Cubelets, Dandân, and other shared deck formats

So not that long ago Rhystic Studies video on Dandân/Forgetful Fish spiked the popularity of shared deck formats in a number of Magic spaces.
There was a little mini-renaissance in creating microformats, with people posting little decklists with associated alternate rulesets which I found delightful.

There's the original Forgetful Fish, a mono-blue tempo mirror.
Ichorid, built around forcing discards and recursion of the namesake threat.
And plenty others, like setting up opportunities to Miracle a Thunderous Wrath while preventing your opponent from doing the same.

While I am interested in whether anyone on Riptide Lab has encountered these or others like them, what I'm actually after are suggestions for niche little cards that get more interesting in the context of a shared deck and graveyard.
Dandan recontextualizes Memory Lapse by having it set up your next draw, Ichorid lets Cabal Therapy turn creatures from your opponents hand into your reanimation targets. Misinformation, Brainstorm, Flameburst and Firecat, stuff like that.
Looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Edit:
Amending OP with a WIP list of cards and mechanics I've encountered or read of in various custom formats, had recommended in this thread, or found on my own. Hopefully it will gow into the sort of resource I've been after, to assist future builders of these sorts of MTG experiences.

While I fully intend to update it as I learn more, no promises. Also, goes without saying, but don't just jam stuff from this into a pile of cards and hope it will be a fun wizards tower or whatever. Have a high concept and work towards it - you aren't going to find Dandân in any of these spoilers. Come here for ideas or to fill gaps.

Shared DeckShared GY
W: (5)
Reinforcements
Oust
Not Forgotten
Lapse of Certainty
Unexpectedly Absent

U: (11)
Brainstorm
Index
Accumulated Knowledge **
Take Inventory
Memory Lapse
Portent
Vantress Gargoyle
Whirlpool Whelm
Bamboozle
Descendant of Soramaro
Hinder

B: (8)
Misinformation
Omen of the Dead
Chittering Rats
Dimir Machinations
Prying Questions
Sadistic Augurmage
Agonizing Memories
Volrath's Dungeon

R: (3)
Orcish Librarian
Chaos Warp
Countryside Crusher

G: (5)
Noxious Revival
Cream of the Crop
Lammastide Weave
Trail of Crumbs
Recross the Paths

Multi: (1)
Diabolic Vision

Lands: (15)
Academy Ruins
Fertile Thicket
Halimar Depths
Hall of Heliod's Generosity
Isolated Watchtower
Madblind Mountain **
Memorial to Unity
Mistveil Plains
Mortuary Mire
Mystic Sanctuary
Nephalia Academy
Sequestered Stash
Soldevi Excavations
Volrath's Stronghold
Witches Cottage

(0)
W: (1)
Not Forgotten

U: (2)
AEther Burst
Vantress Gargoyle

B: (3)
Misinformation
Omen of the Dead
Ichorid

R: (6)
Ancestral Anger
Galvanic Bombardment
Flame Burst
Kindle
Goblin Gathering
Pardic Firecat

G: (3)
Noxious Revival
Dilligent Farmhand
Muscle Burst

Lands: (23)
Academy Ruins
Barbarian Ring
Bojuka Bog
Buried Ruin
Cabal Pit
Centaur Garden
Cephalid Coliseum
Crypt of Agadeem
Drownyard Temple **
Hall of Heliod's Generosity
Memorial to Folly
Mistveil Plains
Mortuary Mire
Nantuko Monastery
Nomad Stadium
Petrified Field
Port of Karfeld
Riftstone Portal
Sequestered Stash
Soldevi Excavations
Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
Volrath's Stronghold
Witches Cottage

(0)
** Risky, think about the effect on your format carefully.

Fun, simple, or otherwise not obnoxiousTime consuming, unintuitive, or otherwise a hassle
Scry/Fateseal/Surveil/Topdeck Manipulation
Bread and butter if you're building a shared deck format that focuses on the deck as a feature. Surveil has the added interest of "Is it more likely opponent has recursion, or card draw?", as there's a real decision around which will keep them further away from the card - but consider if that added layer beneficial in the context of what you want to achieve for your format

Tuck/Top

Surprise surprise, putting your opponents threat back into the library is much more interesting when you can redraw it yourself. This applies for both removal (Time Ebb, Chaos Warp, Condemn) and recursion (Footbottom Feast, Dwell on the Past, Mistveil Plains). That timing matters for the "Put on top" effects makes these spells modal - "Timewalk" by using in your turn, "Control Magic" by using during theirs.

Shuffle
An out for getting fatesealed by that scrying and surveiling from before, messing with your opponent setting up their draws, all that good stuff. A safety valve. Not needed, as scry/counterscry works too, but can happen with lower commitments in terms of cards or mana so it may be helpful all the same. Overabundance will slow play to a crawl however, so be mindful.

Clash
Most players know APNAP, which is the largest potential hurdle here, but assuming the presence of topdeck manipulation as a feature of the format Clash adds a mindgame while also being a form of topdeck manipulation in and of itself. That said, consider avoiding this one if you want an experience friendly to new players.

Miracle
Setting up Miracles has been a feature of a few shared library formats. The two pieces of targeted removal with the mechanic are also Tuck/Top effects, and the most popular inclusion forms the core of a sudden death format.
Tutors!
Waiting for your opponent to finish searching so you can draw your card for the turn sucks. Shortcutting fetches in basically every format that has them is done for a reason, but it can't be done with a shared deck.

Slowtrips!
It might sound cool to have extra windows to mess with card draw before it happens but it's just adding mental load/memory issues to achieve what an instant speed scry effect could do in its stead.

Sensei's Divining Top!
The slowplay scourge of every format in which it's legal now features all that plus the issues caused by waiting on the deck to become available so you can start your turn and the degenerate back-and-forth disruption of any topdeck manipulation by a low opportunity cost card that trades ownership every activation (Excepting the use of other resources that would be better spent furthering the gamestate) and you get a massive massive waste of time much like this sentence.

Threshold, Delirium that sort o' thing.
Under Construction.

Last edited:
I'm also intrigued by this (and maybe should give it a shot myself? Hmm...)

Lammastide Weave and Noxious Revival become really interesting in a shared deck format, since they take on an extra mind-game-y dimension.

I also really like the idea of Volrath's Dungeon, because it's super tricksy. It might seem kinda pointless (discard a card to... have villain draw a card that they were already going to draw?), but it interacts with topdeck manipulation in interesting ways. If you're more interested in a one-shot version of that effect, Chittering Rats, Prying Questions, and Sadistic Augurmage are all cards that exist.

The Clash mechanic interacts... weirdly with a shared deck, thanks to Rule 101.4 (which makes it so that whoever's turn it currently is gets to make the top-bottom choice first). You can use scrying to set up a perfect Clash, mind-game villain into letting you win the Clash... all kinds of weird things.

So not that long ago Rhystic Studies video on Dandân/Forgetful Fish spiked the popularity of shared deck formats in a number of Magic spaces.
There was a little mini-renaissance in creating microformats, with people posting little decklists with associated alternate rulesets which I found delightful.

There's the original Forgetful Fish, a mono-blue tempo mirror.
Ichorid, built around forcing discards and recursion of the namesake threat.
And plenty others, like setting up opportunities to Miracle a Thunderous Wrath while preventing your opponent from doing the same.

While I am interested in whether anyone on Riptide Lab has encountered these or others like them, what I'm actually after are suggestions for niche little cards that get more interesting in the context of a shared deck and graveyard.
Dandan recontextualizes Memory Lapse by having it set up your next draw, Ichorid lets Cabal Therapy turn creatures from your opponents hand into your reanimation targets. Misinformation, Brainstorm, Flameburst and Firecat, stuff like that.
Looking forward to seeing what you've got.
I've never done Dandân, but my Battle Box is a shared deck format.

I've been looking into a shared deck micro cube with this beauty:

It might be a better fit than Dandân, because it actually interacts with the top of your library. The gargoyle also has seperate attack and defend clauses, so you can fiddle with both. It's an artifact which is interesting sometimes, maybe. It kills in just 4 succesful attacks, which might both be an upside or downside.

Would probably have seperate graveyard though?

@LadyMapi
Volrath's Dungeon is a great call, totally forgot that card existed and it's pretty damn cool. On the surface it looks like it's just dead if you only activate it once, but the mindgames around the threat of multiple activations in one turn are really sweet. For people who want to play it safe you also have lines like "Therapy, activate Dungeon, flashback Therapy", to know whether its worth a second activation to draw that card. Never would have considered the card if you hadn't mentioned it, but the more I think about it the cooler that ability gets.
Sadistic Augurmage's ability also leads to cool mindgames that aren't dissimilar to the above, very much like that idea.

FWIW, I'm a fan of your Cubicorn and my wife wants me to either copy it or make something like it for our nieces and nephews when they get a little older, so I did go back and look at it again when I was first thinking about shared deck formats a little while ago. It's a very honest format rather than one that exploits the shared library (outside of the scry effects, obviously).

@ellogeyen
I did have a look at Vantress Gargoyle in the context of shared GY, and the idea of a deck built around turning threshold on/off. Stuff like False Memories would be a win condition on its own via exiling the library over time, but also enable the Gargoyle for a turn. Had some flashback stuff in there, Quiet Speculation, Runic Repetition... I wasn't happy with where I ended up as there are like 3(?) blue cards with Threshold and they're all pretty lame, so it was a little heavy on the mill-as-wincon and didn't quite get to the same level of tense interactivity as Dandan. Didn't really think about going back to separate graveyards tbh. But hey, that's why I've come to you guys!

The nuance of using Dandân is that Forgetful Fish also runs cards that exploit the fact that it has Islandhome. Vantress Gargoyle loses that little nuance.

Certainly. Get some lose some. I just never liked how I automatically win if I don't play any islands

You can put it off, but you can't avoid playing islands entirely.
Yep, this is completely right and to make it explicit as to why: only playing nonbasics leads to comparatively less available mana for you to fight over card-quality and losing that fight means you'll then lose the game by eventually being the one who ends up forced to draw from an empty library. :oops:

Correct, but you also can't win, since any Dandans you cast die instantly. You can put it off, but you can't avoid playing islands entirely.

win/loss through decking isn't an option?

I would just feel incentivized to stall the game in this manner until I feel like I've got an advantageous hand

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So my gut is that you'd lose the war over who draws the last card if one person is willing to play 100% of the lands they draw, and the other is only willing to play 50% of the lands they draw (as taken from the sample dandan list on TCGplayer)

It certainly changes the dynamic of the game, you turn it from a tempo based mirror match into a pure control based mirror match, while putting yourself at a significant disadvantage, and making a ton of cards in the shared stack bricks.

Strategically choosing when to start playing islands is an interesting choice you can make sometimes, but sometimes you're going to draw your opener with 3 islands and you don't really get to think about it. But if you have a choice of when you can exit the "early game" so to speak, that could be cool.

You certainly don't auto win if you refuse to play islands, but I think your odds go down, not up.
And they DEFINITELY don't hit 100%

Yeah, at that point you're effectively playing the following game (sorry for sloppy math - it's been a long day):
  • A 40-card control deck with 8 blank cards, 18 lands (8 of them being taplands), and 14 spells, vs.
  • A 40-card control deck with 18 blank cards, 8 lands (all of them taplands), and 14 spells.
And, well, last time I checked lands are kinda important for control decks?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong - there will totally be games where you'll win without playing an Island if you play Forgetful Fish enough. But that's not a reliable gameplan.

At that point it's just watered-down Nim.
I missed the pun the first time I read this comment.

Also, updated OP with a cliffnotes "Fun mechanics" and "neat cards" for shared deck/graveyard formats. Obvious WIP is obvious WIP, formatting may change, and of course feedback and thoughts are very welcome.

Last edited:
It's not entirely a shared-deck format, but I have been theorizing something kind of comparable. Haven't made an actual card list and playtested it yet though, but the broad strokes are:

- Small decks, 10 cards, maybe a few more, with no lands
- Lower life total, let's say 10 for consistency
- Drawing from an empty deck makes you lose 1 life
- Starting hand size is lower, in the ballpark of 5
- The player going second gets a free Wastes into their hand

Make a deck either by just grabbing some random cards from the cube, or use a quick draft-method to get enough cards, you won't use them for more than one round. The game starts with a collection of basic lands, and maybe some curated set of nonbasics, in exile. The gimmick is that, once on your turn at sorcery speed, as a special action, you can swap a card in your hand, with any card in exile. You are basically exchanging them, but from a rules POV, it's more accurate to say that the two cards perpetually become copies of each other, but even that is probably not entirely accurate. Any references to the exiled card persist on the new one, you don't lose any counters. In effect, it doesn't become a new object, they just magically took the place of each other in the game.

The level 0 gameplay of this is pretty basic. You have to swap cards in your hand with the lands so you can actually play spells. Later in the game, you can throw away the cards in your hand to pick up the cards your opponent tossed away earlier, and they can do likewise, so there is some tension between which cards you expose to your opponent and what color you want to move into.

When you take the card pool into account, it can get pretty crazy. If you Swords to Plowshares a creature, you can choose to swap it with a card in your hand, in effect stealing it. You can keep rebuying the same flashback spell over and over by discarding a card. Flickerwisp turns into a Show and Tell, and Rebound also becomes a cheat mechanic, but importantly one that your opponent can easily disrupt. Playing around a Banisher Priest or Suspend can get really strange.

I think I love this. I really love drafting, but it eats so much time. This moves many of the elements I love in that kind of interaction into the game itself. So many cool things to do with the ruleset too! Kitesail Freebooter is sick as hell here!
I think I'm going to make a list for this game.

So I don't have a shared library specific cube, but I have been playing a lot of what we call Wizard Tower. It's just the cube as a shared deck with:
- No mulligan
-Any card can be played face down as a rainbow land
-Shared graveyard (Exhume effects go active player, non-active-player)
-Draw two cards per turn

I've found it helps new players get familiar with the cards without being forced to draft. And it's just a fun silly way to play with the cube. Really fast to set up and take down as well.

I loved your concept for Hunt the Wumpus so much that I built my own shared-deck minigame called Library Things, which is about hunting monsters through an enchanted library. I've never playtested it, so I don't know how well it works, and it's definitely not the super-cerebral control mirror of Forgetful Fish, but I'm excited to proxy this up and try it out.

Thanks for compiling the mind-map of cards and mechanics here, they made for a great jumping-off point!

I really like the concept for Library Things! I was reading your rules ideas for it and was thinking that if you wanted to go full boardgame, you could go really simple and just track either player life or "damage to other players" as the score, game ends when shared deck runs out - winner is highest score (In the absence of a Lab Man or another alt win-con). Could change how Sylvan Library plays - desperate dig for Lab Man knowing that if you don't get and protect him you will have taken a massive hit to your score while accelerating the game to it's conclusion.

Now my brain is wondering what else you could share.

An idea that sounds dumb but might be kinda neat would be sharing a single life total. Bring back the rule that you only die if you have 0 life at the end of a phase (instead of immediately dying when you hit 0), and you might have something. You might need to start at a much lower total for it to work, but there might be some interesting tension hiding there.