General Cultic Cube video series

Do you love contraptions, beebles, & shouting "Gotcha!" or do you prefer your Magic in black borders? Either way, we've got you. Cultic Cube & cubefortwo collaborate on a series that is all about un-. My video addresses which silver border cards fit in black border environments. Cubefortwo offers an insightful how-to for building an un-cube from the ground up. I hope you enjoy the series -- we had a lot of fun swapping stories about whacky interactions and absurd board states.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Please make it sound like it is more than just custom cards which appeal to 1 % of the customers.

It is also foils and altered cards which appeal to 99 % of all their customers.

There already was an issue for this: https://github.com/dekkerglen/CubeCobra/issues/57

Since that was marked as wontfix, I mentioned the fact that I have no way at all to let drafters know what my custom cards did during an online draft, and that this was blocking me from even considering moving. One of their programmers made this one: https://github.com/dekkerglen/CubeCobra/issues/124

It honestly sounds like they have a crappy product. In their own words.

Will you please let me know if they upgrade to CubeTutor standards? And maybe even beyond but that sounds unlikely with their ‘let’s get money before we spend money’ attitude.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It honestly sounds like they have a crappy product. In their own words.

Will you please let me know if they upgrade to CubeTutor standards? And maybe even beyond but that sounds unlikely with their ‘let’s get money before we spend money’ attitude.

I think you're being (very) unfairly harsh here Velrun. This project was started by someone on their own time, much like Ben Titmarsh did with CubeTutor. CC has 16 patrons worth $47, CT has 271. Interestingly, the monthly revenue from those patrons is no longer shown on CT's patron page... CubeTutor grew into what it is today over a span of six years, CubeCobra is only a few months old. CT didn't feature image hosting from the get-go either, for exactly the same reasons that CC doesn't at the moment. The developer made it open source so others can contribute, which I can't overstate how huge of a decision that is. It runs on a much better stack as well. This is not a crappy product, it's a product in its infancy, but the open source thing alone makes this the most promising CT alternative in ages.

And if they are not going to improve their product, then no one will buy it. And thus the circle of recession begins.

They should obviously start improving their product first and hope customers will later buy the improved product. Just like CubeTutor did.

I think you're being (very) unfairly harsh here Velrun. This project was started by someone on their own time, much like Ben Titmarsh did with CubeTutor. CC has 16 patrons worth $47, CT has 271. Interestingly, the monthly revenue from those patrons is no longer shown on CT's patron page... CubeTutor grew into what it is today over a span of six years, CubeCobra is only a few months old. CT didn't feature image hosting from the get-go either, for exactly the same reasons that CC doesn't at the moment. The developer made it open source so others can contribute, which I can't overstate how huge of a decision that is. It runs on a much better stack as well. This is not a crappy product, it's a product in its infancy, but the open source thing alone makes this the most promising CT alternative in ages.

And if they are not going to improve their product, then no one will buy it. And thus the circle of recession begins.

They should obviously start improving their product first and hope customers will later buy the improved product. Just like CubeTutor did.

I have to agree with Onderz here. CC is a brand new service which is only just beginning to gain traction amongst the cube community. Not everyone has customs, or requires the ability to use them for their cube to render correctly. It sounds like the development team can't work on custom card support just yet because of the amount of capital it would require to support such a feature. If they're working on a budget of 47 bucks a month, that would make a lot of sense.

For context, 47 bucks won't even get you a decent Minecraft server, let alone a database of custom magic cards.

Give the site some time. It already looks a fair bit better than CubeTutor in some regards and yet Cobra has only just started. Cobra is still rough enough that I'm not completely ready to leave CT, but it does have enough positive features that it makes me want to start keeping my cube updated on there as well.

I'm way bigger on CubeCobra than CT at this point just because of how shit Ben has been as providing any sort of correspondence with his users. Dude disappears for months without any update aside from adding in new card images for new sets. People have been using it forever because it was the first cube hosting platform that was aesthetically pleasing and had serious potential, but he's failed to deliver after some lofty promises a few years back.

Cobra needs to clean up the aesthetics and some ease of access issues and they'll be good to go. I'm not going to start using it as my go-to until a few more things have been implemented, but I don't see why it wouldn't be superior to CT sooner rather than later. They're very active with updates, they listen to feedback and respond accordingly if sometime is heavily requested (and not too intensive to implement), and I think they've got a solid team that actually wants to create something for the cube community as a whole. That's pretty commendable. I'm all for CubeCobra, active development team >>>> dude who's not invested at all.

I guess I am outvoted then :) That gives me hope.

Do we know from where Cobra imports card images? On CubeTutor I have beautiful, large and detailed, card images from Scryfall.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I guess I am outvoted then :) That gives me hope.

Do we know from where Cobra imports card images? On CubeTutor I have beautiful, large and detailed, card images from Scryfall.
From their site: "since the website is powered by scryfall, newly spoiled cards can be used at most 24 hrs after being spoiled, with no downtime!"

Nice! So exactly like CubeTutor if you are a patreon.

Now all I need (right now at least) is for them to give us the opportunity to upload our own card scans for cards that are altered, custom, signed, foil etc.

I don't think CT does that, does it? I never noticed it, anyway, and I'm a patron.

Go to www.scryfall.com
Find the card you are looking for.
Save the card onto your PC
Go to www.cubetutor.com
Find your own page
Go to Champeon/Patreon
Upload card scan

Voila. All this takes < 1 minute. It can only be done if you are a Patreon.

Before you try it out, take a screen shot of your cube or a specific card. In this way you get to see how much of an improvement you have achieved in that one minute.

I would strongly recomment Cobra to do what CubeTutor did and what I do in my business: Invest before I expect customers to start paying. Make a perfect product. In this way you can expect customers to get attracted. If you are only spending revenue money on upgrades, then you don’t stand a chance because customers will only flood to your product when it is super new and exciting. Take They Are Billions and Artifact as examples.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Voila. All this takes < 1 minute. It can only be done if you are a Patreon.
That's not the same, as you have to upload your scan and replace the image of an existing card. CubeCobra actually has the new cards available soon after they are spoiled, meaning you don't have to wait (long) for the actual card to appear in CubeCobra. With CubeTutor, new cards only become available after the entire new set is dumped into the database at once, a week or two after the set releases. I mean, I've definitely uploaded scans of new cards to CT in the way you describe, but using placeholder cards is kinda ugly still. CC's way is much nicer.

I would strongly recomment Cobra to do what CubeTutor did and what I do in my business: Invest before I expect customers to start paying. Make a perfect product. In this way you can expect customers to get attracted. If you are only spending revenue money on upgrades, then you don’t stand a chance because customers will only flood to your product when it is super new and exciting. Take They Are Billions and Artifact as examples.

It's open source, I doubt money is going to be a motivation here. Obviously they want to earn enough money through their patreon to cover server costs, but beyond that? It's hard to monetize open source software.

You are correct in that it is not the same but that is luckily not what we are discussing.

We are discussing the following: “since the website is powered by scryfall, newly spoiled cards can be used at most 24 hrs after being spoiled, with no downtime!"

On my CubeTutor I can use Scryfall cards much, much less than 24 hours are a card is being spoiled. I do not have to wait like you do on Cobra.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys but if I am looking at my cube and I cannot see a difference and if I draft my cube and I canno feel a difference, then I consider that a non-factor.

As an example. If Wizards spoil a card from Eldraine today I can draft with it 2 minutes later. I do not have to wait until tomorrow or the day after depending on time-zones.

You can thank me once you have tried my method. Your cube will be a looot prettier.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don’t know about the rest of you guys but if I am looking at my cube and I cannot see a difference and if I draft my cube and I canno feel a difference, then I consider that a non-factor.
Any stats collected by CT while you are using a proxy for that Eldraine card don't carry over, such as pick order and CastleAI training data, once you make the swap to the actual card. Only the visual spoiler actually shows the "right" card, the curve and list views don't. Though you can mark it as a custom with a tag, the name displayed will still be the proxy you are using to stick the art of your new Eldraine on. In addition, unless you sideboard the card with the custom Eldraine scan, decks drafted while you are using the proxy will revert to listing the actual card you used as a proxy. I think there are tangible upsides to CubeCobra's system, and 24 hours is definitely a much more manageable timeframe to wait on those new cards than the weeks you'll have to wait on them with CT.

Any stats collected by CT while you are using a proxy for that Eldraine card don't carry over, such as pick order and CastleAI training data, once you make the swap to the actual card.

I know that but luckily it doesn’t matter. When you are the only person who can draft with Eldraine, then the bots won’t know how to pick the cards anyway. Same as with Cobra. And when the cards get released, you can make the swap (Make sure to set aside 1 minute of your day to doing this.) and it still won’t matter.

Only the visual spoiler actually shows the "right" card, the curve and list views don't.

Wrong. You can set type, color, stats, anything you want to anything you want. If you want your Emrakul to cost 4 green mana, you can choose to do so.

I think there are tangible upsides to CubeCobra's system, and 24 hours is definitely a much more manageable timeframe to wait on those new cards than the weeks you'll have to wait on them with CT.

100 % agree. But right now I can draft with Eldraine on the day they are spoiled and also 24 hours later. And also 2 weeks later. And everything will be exactly the same situation as on Cobra.

——

However!
As soon as Cobra incoorporates an upload mechanic, then I will give it a go to see if it is actually better. Until then you guys can play with Cobra until they have the budget for scan mechanic. I wouldn’t mind saving $7 each month but also don’t mind supporting the guy who makes my cube visually beautiful.