General Custom Cards: The Lab

I don't personally like land destruction or that it curves 2 into 3 on its own. I'd like to see it at 4 with the option to destroy an artifact. Or "Destroy up to one target artifact. Nightbird's." at 3 MV because myself and my playgroup find LD so un-fun.

Maybe that's the next Un set. Unfun. It's a lot of land destruction and turn 1 targeted discard spells.

I think 3 is an acceptable cost. If you curve it out, you've spent two entire turns and the only permanent board you've added is two 1/1's. I'm assuming any playgroup this is designed for is reasonably accommodating to land destruction.

If I was going to tweak the card I wouldn't tweak CMC's. I would probably make the front side a sorcery and/or make the back side {1}{R}{R}

So I really like Brad's mono-color fetch (Extinction Zone) and thinking about creating a cycle of those. (Would prefer to keep cube singleton and interested in a cycle of 5.) I'm concerned that they're going to be too narrow in a traditional environment as they fetch far fewer lands than their two-color counterparts.

For example, with a full cycle of shocks and ABU duals (and basics), Flooded Strand can fetch 16 different lands, while a mono-white fetch can only fetch 9. It also won't have a Pathway mode like Flooded Strand and friends.

I'm wondering if one of the following would be a good solution:

Original (i.e. Brad's Extinction Zone)
T, Sac: Search your library for a Swamp card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.

Version 2
T, Pay 1 life, Sac: Search your library for a Swamp card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
Cycling 2

Version 3
T, Pay 1 life, Sac: Search your library for a Swamp card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
1, T, Sac: Draw a card.

Version 4
T, Pay 1 life, Sac: Search your library for a Swamp or basic land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle. That land enters the battlefield tapped unless it's a Swamp.

I like 4 the most. It's the closest to a fetch. Solid in any black deck.

I wouldn't have made Extinction Zone outside of my format or maybe for EDH. I still wish we had gotten colored/Wastes fetches back in BFZ block.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
SummonWar.jpg

Hey there new Summon to War!

I debated between making War an instant or sorcery for an eternity, but I think the play patters for the sorcery version are better. I can imagine {2}{R} deal 4 to the dome (when targeting two unblocked creatures) is a bit much for the backside of an uncommon. This also reduces its potential as a "trap" card where you can suddenly spring two 3/1 blockers on your opponent out of nowhere, making it more of an aggressive card (which is the deck this custom is supposed to support, specifically heroic aggro).

Also, I downsized a Card Conjurer png to 20% and saved it as a jpg, and it's still a larger file size than what MSE produces :')

Last edited:
Its written the way Chris mentioned. This way there is tension between targeting your own creature for heroic or something, and targeting your opponents creatures to remove them from combat that turn.
Wow.

I didn't notice.

That's a weird custom card. I expect most players won't notice on an aftermath custom card on the second half of the card.

Any fun Ninjutsu ideas?

I realize I could theoretically do
CARDNAME (any cost)
Creature - Any Types
Ninjutsu (any cost)
Any ETB or damage effect or anything else, really.
P/T

but I'm sure someone has some cute stuff in mind.

What about a ninja with a LTB ability to promote both not blocking them and chaining them? Something like

DUDERINO {1}{B}
Creature - Rat Ninja
Ninjutsu {B}
When DUDERINO leaves the battlefield, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
1/1

Some kind of Ninjitsu + Revolt combo came to mind, then formed into something closer to Zoss's example. Would work with both Ninjas and sacrifice themes:

Vindictive Ninja {2}{B}
Creature - Human Ninja
Ninjutsu {1}{B}
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or a permanent you control leaves the battlefield, each opponent loses 1 life. This ability triggers only once per turn.
2/2

What about a design where the dude can Ninjutsu back for free?

Or a reverse Ninjutsu like "Return it unblocked: Ninja in a dude where Ninja cost is MV minus 2."

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Did you have issues with it coming back so easily? Graveyard ninjitsu makes me raise an eyebrow in general
Also not only can this dude block, but he has first strike? o.O

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah none of those do what I want here
Okay forgive my MS paint skills:

View attachment 5303
Jesus the card conjurer version got destroyed in the conversion here, but notice how the text box is smaller, but you still have the black frame on the edges, and you get the opaque text box unlike the full art option?

It's the frame they used for Commander Legends:
0f0e6ff7-eed1-4965-813f-00d92fb48a1e.jpg
345fd005-5052-4500-a260-3649500e21f4.jpg
cd33c0f5-5545-477a-9185-53c707983795.jpg
be2b4177-e47c-4dde-9ead-31b7602065ec.jpg

That's the one I haven't been able to find on MSE

Okay having looked a scooch deeper, there's a TallTokens frame, but it's for tokens (duh) and there isn't a corresponding tall....cards? frame
Update: I've at least asked in the Cajun thread about this.
In the meantime, there is a template for the Extended Art Tall frame (Link), the one everyone seems to love a ton more than I do
c092d9c5-538f-4667-9070-bdce7f8b522a.jpg

My understanding is that the edges of your card are a bit at risk through MPC, so that's a scary frame to send there. I do like it from WotC, however.

What would be some fair costs for this card?

Grand Remembrance - ???
Sorcery
Return all cards exiled by cards named Grand Remembrance to their owner's hands.
Forecast — ???, reveal Grand Remembrance from your hand: Exile target artifact, enchantment, or card in a graveyard.

My gut says "3GG for the spell itself, 2W for the Forecast", but it's been a while since I designed a card.