General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I love it!

You have more Lessons?
Not yet. For the record, I think this lesson is too strong at 4 mana when compared to what the other lessons do (even the rare ones).

Edit: I think I am going with Stir the Grave, which is somewhat underwhelming and conditional, but sometimes the right (or even a fantastic) card to fetch (which is basically where you want lessons to be, I think?).

Basic Reanimation.jpg
Art link

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Another one! This is a minor variation on Pest Summoning. I changed the trigger to 'leaves the battlefield' so it works with ninjas.

Skull Summoning.jpg
Art link

I think this needs some tweaking, because the tokens should probably not have the creature type Floating Skull, and I think it looks better if the reminder text is on the tokens, not on the card, but that is for another time when I'm not on a lunch break :)

Great idea to create five (?) allied guild Lessons. Or maybe you just want as many as you need in order to get all 5 for your shards.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing 3 more in Azorius, Rakdos and Selesnya.

I think they should simple be Skeletons and the name should either be Skeleton Summoning or Skeletal Summoning.

Skeleton:
https://scryfall.com/search?q=skeleton&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

Skeletal:
https://scryfall.com/search?q=skeletal&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

I think I want my Gruul (Spirit Summoning) to be Beast Summoning and create a 4/3 with trample. Still for 5.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think I want my Gruul (Spirit Summoning) to be Beast Summoning and create a 4/3 with trample. Still for 5.
That would be a shame about the flavor text though :D And yeah, I was just making summoning spells for the two allied color guilds in my cube (Dimir and Gruul).

Not yet. For the record, I think this lesson is too strong at 4 mana when compared to what the other lessons do (even the rare ones).
This was my first thought on it at 2BB. I like the adjustment. Could just be a 5, as well.

I'd personally find different art that fits with an existing token type for the UB one.

c528581f-f671-45ae-8d7a-ae26a4e62ceb.jpg
This is a somewhat interesting UB token and "nightmare" art shouldn't be too difficult. That said, you'd still need a new token type, despite getting a real token involved.

Maybe a Mascot Exhibition style card costed at {W/B}{U/B}{G/U}{R/G}{R/W} for your wheel?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
c528581f-f671-45ae-8d7a-ae26a4e62ceb.jpg
This is a somewhat interesting UB token and "nightmare" art shouldn't be too difficult. That said, you'd still need a new token type, despite getting a real token involved.

Maybe a Mascot Exhibition style card costed at {W/B}{U/B}{G/U}{R/G}{R/W} for your wheel?
Actually, Nightmare Summoning creating Nightmare tokens would work just fine. It's just that this token doesn't gel with any of the themes present in my cube. I've actually looked at existing tokens, I could try to work with what there is, I suppose, but there just isn't a lot that I really need or can create at a reasonable rate. I did have other ideas not using existing tokens for some of these, for example.

Satyr Summoning.jpg
Art link

This is a card I tested quite a lot, and it is super fun to cast. Problem is, it's also a bit too good for a common when you can ramp to 10 or so mana and your opponent doesn't have a large board. It's definitely more engaging than the simple 4/4 elemental though, that's for sure. Maybe I should just ignore that it's slightly too good and run with this?

PS. I just run Mascot Exhibition. I don't feel the need to have the mythic match the exact thing I'm doing, just like the original :) (you'll notice that it doesn't create a Pest or Fractal token)

Good idea to move the surveil ability. This also makes the Lesson unique.

I would call it Fae and not Faerie

I think the art is off. It looks old, with few details and doesn’t suit Strixhaven. If you’re not going for Strixhaven, fine.

I 100 times better like the 4/3 trample over the X spell that creates Satyrs that puts the game on pause when the bunch dies and players are pulling out die to roll for random fight effects times X.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Good idea to move the surveil ability. This also makes the Lesson unique.

I would call it Fae and not Faerie

I think the art is off. It looks old, with few details and doesn’t suit Strixhaven. If you’re not going for Strixhaven, fine.

I 100 times better like the 4/3 trample over the X spell that creates Satyrs that puts the game on pause when the bunch dies and players are pulling out die to roll for random fight effects times X.
The pattern in Strixhaven is "<creature type> Summoning" creating tokens of type <creature type>, so it should be called Faerie Summoning. Finding art for two {U/B} faeries is hard, and I'm not about to commission some for my cube. I love Brian Froud's art, and this is just a good excuse to use it :) I agree it doesn't really fit Strixhaven, it's more of a Throne of Eldraine showcase art, but lessons are from Strixhaven, so it'll have to do. If you can find better fitting art for the card you are more than welcome to suggest an alternative!

I totally agree on Satyr Summoning vs. Beast Summoning, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to settle on your suggestion. I just wanted to show off the design, because Satyr Summoning was an absolute blast to play with in ramp decks when I playtested it. Caveat: I playtested it on the computer, which rolls the dice (behind the scenes) for you.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Fae and Faerie are synonyms.

Tell me, what is the difference between Fae Summoning and Fae Offering?
That's not the point I was making. Inkling Summoning summons an Inkling, Elemental Summoning summons an Elemental, Pest Summoning summons two Pests, Spirit Summoning summons a Spirit, and Fractal Summoning summons a Fractal. Each of these five cards summons a token with the exact same name as the first word in their card title. You propose Fae Summoning as the card title for a card that summons Faerie tokens. If I want to follow the precedent set by the Summoning cards from Strixhaven (which I do, because I like consistency), the card should be called Faerie Summoning.