General Custom Cards: The Lab

That's not the point I was making. Inkling Summoning summons an Inkling, Elemental Summoning summons an Elemental, Pest Summoning summons two Pests, Spirit Summoning summons a Spirit, and Fractal Summoning summons a Fractal. Each of these five cards summons a token with the exact same name as the first word in their card title. You propose Fae Summoning as the card title for a card that summons Faerie tokens. If I want to follow the precedent set by the Summoning cards from Strixhaven (which I do, because I like consistency), the card should be called Faerie Summoning.
Yeah consistency is good but do you know with certainty that you understood the reason why the words are written exactly like the tokens?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah consistency is good but do you know with certainty that you understood the reason why the words are written exactly like the tokens?
This is a silly question. I wasn't involved in the design or development of Strixhaven, so of course I do not know "with certainty" that I understood that reason. However, I see a very clear pattern, and I see absolutely no urgent reason to deviate from that pattern.

This is a silly question. I wasn't involved in the design or development of Strixhaven, so of course I do not know "with certainty" that I understood that reason. However, I see a very clear pattern, and I see absolutely no urgent reason to deviate from that pattern.
I think you a drawing a conclusion you can’t yet. But I don’t want to debate when you’re calling my question silly. You wouldn’t do that if you had to look me in the eyes. Do whatever you want to do with your custom cards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But I don’t want to debate when you’re calling my question silly. You wouldn’t do that if you had to look me in the eyes.
Yes, I would. And you would see in my eyes that there is no ill intent behind these words. You know I cannot possibly know whether the pattern was intended by WotC with certainty, so why do you ask me if I do? That's why I called your question (note: not you) silly. Moreover, can you explain to me why you feel I need to know this with certainty to justify my choice of Faerie Summoning over Fae Summoning? Isn't me seeing the pattern and wanting to follow that pattern enough of a reason?

Okay let’s go into it. I know you mean no harm but it did hurt. People don’t call me silly face to face.

Wizards both use Fae and Faerie. Wizards does not have another word for Elemental, Spirit, Inkling, Fractal and Pest. Correct me if I am wrong because my argument is based on this.

How can we know that they would not have chosen Fae? We don’t. Because if there is only one word for each, we know that they did not choose the word spelled like the creature type because they wanted a perfect match but because it was the only option.

As I said, you can do whatever you want with your custom card. And if I’m wrong on the words, this is expected. I initially asked you a question you failed to answer which would have covered this issue: Do you know the difference between Fae and Faerie. If we can cipher that, then maybe we have the objectively correct spelling for the card. Otherwise do what you want. I was just trying to help.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Okay let’s go into it. I know you mean no harm but it did hurt. People don’t call me silly face to face.
I don’t know if you were tired when you wrote this. But please take a look at your quote that came after my comment.
I firmly belief you should be able to call out a person's actions without condemning the person themselves. I can not tell you how to feel, but I can tell you what my intent was, hence my elaboration. If I think a friend does something silly, I will tell them that to their face, but it's important to realize that saying something a person does or says is silly is explicitly not the same as saying that person themself is silly. If wasn't judging you, I was judging your question. From my point of view your question is a) not really a question, since you full well know I can't be certain, and b) not relevant to the discussion, which I will hopefully explain better below.
Wizards both use Fae and Faerie. Wizards does not have another word for Elemental, Spirit, Inkling, Fractal and Pest. Correct me if I am wrong because my argument is based on this.

How can we know that they would not have chosen Fae? We don’t. Because if there is only one word for each, we know that they did not choose the word spelled like the creature type because they wanted a perfect match but because it was the only option.
As for your argument, even if your assumption is true, it still does not mean we should extrapolate from that and consciously deviate from the observed pattern just because we can. I'm not saying we can't name my custom card Fae Summoning, I'm saying you haven't presented a good reason to do so. Faerie Summoning better fits the established pattern. It does not matter why this pattern was established, it is there, and we can very easily make a conscious effort to follow that pattern. What is it that makes you want to deviate from the established pattern? Or, in other words, what do you think I stand to gain by having four cards that follow the pattern, and one that doesn't, versus having five that neatly follow the same pattern. Especially considering that I openly said I like consistency. Or are you just tripping over the fact that I said "it should be called Faerie Summoning" instead of "I prefer calling it Faerie Summoning because it better follows the established pattern"?

Okay no harm done @Onderzeeboot

I don’t think you have a pattern yet. We only have five cards to compare. And even if we do have a pattern, it’s not 100 % certain that the pattern exists to be a pattern. Maybe it’s coincidental. Just because five cats crossed the street from left to right doesn’t mean that all cats in the future will also cross from left to right. And in this specific case we know Wizards like to use Fae when in multiple.

But you can do whatever you want with your custom card. I was only trying to help.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But you can do whatever you want with your custom card. I was only trying to help.
As I said in my original post that sparked this discussion, you did help :) I didn't have the time to look for suitable art yet, but I really like the elegance of your Beast Summoning suggestion.

Also

(yes I am continuing, lol)

If you want consistency, maybe this should include the card text and not only the names. Maybe creating X tokens with a random dying ability is not consistency. Maybe having a spell that not only create tokens but also surveils (as an external ability from the tokens) is not consistency.

I do like it though. Keep it simple. Keep it flavorful. You’re always doing a really, really good job!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I had a conversation with Train about Mardu cards, and how they don't really pull you into those colors, but rather reward you for ending up in them. He joked about how Naya has better aggro support than the aggro wedge, at lower rarities, and that's when it hit me...

Wayward Leonin.jpg
Art link

Amirite?

PS. For whoever supports Mardu aggro and has good fixing, don't sleep on Fervent Charge. This card is an absolute bomb in decks that can get multiple creatures out early, and it's cheap enough that an aggro deck can afford to play it. I've been consistently impressed with the card, and it's definitely a card that pulls me into Mardu.

There are three types of custom cards

1. Completing a cycle (This could be a land cycle that only has five enemy colors and you want the remaining five.)
2. Using an existing idea Wizards printed and adding it onto other colors/cards. (Like the one Onde just made.)
3. Freedom of creativity

If you add them into your cube,
Most people are okay with category 1.
Some are okay with 2.
Few are okay with 3.

I prefer 1 = 3 > 2.

Which do you prefer?
Yes, you. I am talking to you, dear reader!
1635681926710.png

Last edited:
Yeah, this absolutely needs to cost at least 4, and it's still a heavy color pie break. Introduction to annihilation costs 5, and this is just a blue version of that with extra steps. It probably wouldn't break anything for cube, but I'd err on the safe side. The color thing, however, bugs me. It could be a polymorph, I think (draw -> reveal and play/put into play).

I don’t think it is a color pie break. Blue gets these types of effects every few years. However it is very close to Introduction to Annihilation like Zoss says. I think the name, art ans flavor text are good design, Onde!

What other types of effects could a blue card get? Counterspell, bounce, -x power, draw, shuffle, mill.

Maybe mill? But that is often useless. Maybe an expensive Mystical Tutor?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, this absolutely needs to cost at least 4, and it's still a heavy color pie break. Introduction to annihilation costs 5, and this is just a blue version of that with extra steps. It probably wouldn't break anything for cube, but I'd err on the safe side. The color thing, however, bugs me. It could be a polymorph, I think (draw -> reveal and play/put into play).
Yeah, that's basically Chaos Warp (which MaRo has called out of pie for red)

I know I wrote it myself but right now I can’t find any blue cards that shuffles a permanent into the library and let the player draw a card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I know I wrote it myself but right now I can’t find any blue cards that shuffles a permanent into the library and let the player draw a card.
Me neither, to my surprise. No worries, I thought, I can surely defend my case by pointing to a spell that shuffles a creature into its owner's library, and then extrapolate from there and Disperse. But nope, there is no mono blue card that straight up shuffles a creature back into its owner's library. Well, no problem, I'll just look for a card that puts a creature or (nonland) permanent on the bottom of its owner's library then, that's basically the same as shuffling it back! Again my searches turned up empty (save for Ether Well, but that's very old and only works on red creatures anyway). Apparently, this ability is solidly in white's little slice of the pie.

These are not all example (and there is also Brutalizer Exarch), but it's been used much less often than I had anticipated.