General Custom Cards: The Lab

hey whats been your favorite of your own designs that you actually played with?

I don't post much anymore because my cube is only custom cards, but I always scroll through this thread for ideas. I thought this question was really interesting. Going through my cube, I interpreted this as "what designs have led to fun game states?" I was surprised at how few cards I could pull which I remember specifically leading to a memorable game. Admittedly, it's hard for for the meat and potatoes cards to do that, but I think reflecting on what designs stand out and why is something I should do more of.. as opposed to throwing things out there and seeing what sticks.

Angelic Renewal.jpgArmor of the Stormbringer.jpgAvarice Demon.jpgEternal Wumpus.jpgHouse of Shadows.jpgLavinia of the Tenth.jpgReach Through the Aether.jpgRiftwing Hellkite.jpgSway of the Stars.jpgVolcanic Visionary.jpg

Can I ask what hole she fills in your cube?

I have a difficult time getting blue cascade cards into the cube because it limits the deck building from counter spells.

Completes the triangle of cascade cards in Rug, Bloodbraid, Shardless, Jori. No real reason. I like the idea of cascade in blue, because of brainstorm mostly. Does the RUG deck that runs that stuff want Mana Leak? Probably, I guess.

This little post is written to give myself a little clap on the back. “Good job, Velrun!”

WotC has decided to (also) change he/she to they/them.
WotC has decided to (also) change ‘Add G to your mana pool’ to ‘Add G’.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I use MSE too but thinking about trying out mtg.design
Could you let me know if that works if you decide to try it out. MSE's proxies are a bit blurry, so a better tool would be awesome! I know Photoshop templates exist, but my editing skills aren't that good :(

In other news, the Great Designer Search began in earnest. They're going about it a bit differently this year, not releasing the judge reports as soon as they are finished, but saving them until they can turn it into a cohesive, regular feature. However, they did reveal the eight contestants, as well as their designs for the 3rd assignment. And there's some really cool designs in there! Some of my favorites:

Bought the Farm {1}{G}{W}
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant land you control
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield.
Enchanted land has {T}: Add {G}{W} to your mana pool.
(by Jay Treat)

Mirror Trick {W}{U}
Instant
Return target creature you control to its owner's hand. Create a token that's a copy of it.
(by Linus Ulysses Hamilton)

See You Tomorrow {2}{W}{U}{U}
Instant
Return target attacking creature to its owner's hand. Its controller skips his or her postcombat main phase.
(by Ryan Siegel-Stechler)

Curse of Apprehension {1}{R}{W}
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Enchant player
Creatures enchanted player controls can't attack or block alone.
(by Ryan Siegel-Stechler)

Oasis Mirage {4}{G}{U}
Legendary Enchantment
You may have lands you play enter the battlefield as a copy of any permanent on the battlefield.
(by Scott Wilson)

Draft Chaff Blast {X}{U}{R}
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals X damage to target creature or player. You may choose an artifact, instant, or sorcery card with converted mana cost X or less you own from outside the game, reveal that card, and put it into your hand.
(by Scott Wilson)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Two cute designs:

Rite of Succession 4GG
Sorcery
The creature with the lowest power fights the creature with the greatest power. Then, if there are 2 or more creatures on the battlefield, copy this spell.

This probably doesn't work under the comprehensive rules, and it stalls the game if Darksteel Myr is in play, but assuming those can be avoided, I do kinda like it.

The Legacy of Storm (heh) 1UR
Enchantment - Saga
(When The Legacy of Storm enters the battlefield and at the end of your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III)
I, II — Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
III — Until end of turn, you may cast instants and sorceries from your graveyard. If a card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it.

I'm torn between the initial stuff being Careful Study or Burning Inquiry. Possibly both.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I use MSE too but thinking about trying out mtg.design
I did a comparison between the two. Mtg.design on the left, MSE on the right. I think the image below speaks for itself. I have to say MSE does look like the easier tool, especially when considering how easy it is to scale your source image in MSE. Also, MSE has waaaaay more supported frames. The difference in quality though... oof!

Comparison.jpg

I did a comparison between the two. Mtg.design on the left, MSE on the right. I think the image below speaks for itself. I have to say MSE does look like the easier tool, especially when considering how easy it is to scale your source image in MSE. Also, MSE has waaaaay more supported frames. The difference in quality though... oof!

Challenge accepted!

If we can improve then we should. Even if it will be difficult. Let’s start Monday!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I might give this a try tomorrow.

For anyone who's curious, the trial is here: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/170588778208/the-great-designer-search-3-trial-3-the-design

I finished the assignment! I think I'm happy with the cards I designed (in mtg.design even)! That was harder than I thought, Excel definitely helped me to figure out what colors, rarities and card types I still needed to design o_O
Anyway, going to bed now has priority, with a bit of luck I'll have time to upload the cards on Wednesday :) Good luck with the trial, I'm curious to see what you come up with!

2.5cc mana rocks would be awesome

i saw this quote in the low power spotlight thread

so
Rose Quartz {3}
Artifact
You may pay {2} and return a land you control to its owner’s hand rather than pay this card’s mana cost.
{T}: Add one mana of any color.

Math Metal {3}
Artifact
Suspend 2—{2}

Petrified Wood {3}
Artifact
This spell costs {1} less to cast if you control a Forest.
{T}: Add {c}.

and bonus:
Astral Lens {3}
Artifact
When Astral Lens enters the battlefield, scry 2.

This little post is written to give myself a little clap on the back. “Good job, Velrun!”

WotC has decided to (also) change he/she to they/them.
WotC has decided to (also) change ‘Add G to your mana pool’ to ‘Add G’.

I'm really excited for this. I've been using they on custom cards for a long time. I thought they would never do it after MaRo's comments. So glad they did.

Appearently I am on a ‘Praise the old custom designs by you fine folks’-train

I like your wording Anotak ;) Four years ahead of Wizards!

Astral Lens {3}
Artifact
When Astral Lens enters the battlefield, scry 2.

Boon of the Ancients {3}{W}{U}{B}{R}{G}
Sorcery
You may cast this card from your sideboard.
Up to one target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn. This card deals 3 damage to a target. You gain 3 life. Draw three cards. Add {B}{B}{B}.

i was unsure the order on the abilities here, whether i should go in color pie order or complexity order or interestingness order or "make it clear that you target before you draw" order or "make it clear that giant growthing and bolting the thing makes it live regardless of the order on the card" order

edit: perhaps it's an ugly asymmetry that it costs 8 instead of 9 but also it has a {3} in the symbols if it costs 8

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think this does too much. Being able to cast this from your sideboard is, like, really, really, really strong, since it's essentially a free card. It kinda functions as a conspiracy card in a way, and we all know how busted the good ones are. (Not that they can't be fun, but still.) In addition you're getting at least 9 mana worth of effects by today's standards, not counting the casting from your sideboard ability. I'ld wager the card should cost more than that because being essentially a spell that doesn't cost a deck slot and doesn't rot in your hand.

I'ld be inclined to lower the impact by decreasing the effect to 2 of each. This would lower the net worth of the individual effects to somewhere between 5 and 6 mana, which means the desirable {2}{W}{U}{B}{R}{G} mana cost (to have that 2 in the cc as well) actually makes the spell more expensive than what you get out of the deal. In addition the spell becomes a lot less swingy, which is probably a good thing for a spell that doesn't take up a deck slot.

I do think the black effect is underwhelming and rather random and would probably change it to something different. Maybe -2/-2 to a creature, and then have the red effect deal 2 damage to a player or planeswalker? Discard two is a three mana effect, so that's probably too much.