General Custom Cards: The Lab

do you use Card Conjurer? I don't know what all of the {} codes are for creating text, like the little divider line and stuff like that and it's not on the site. also, what is a cube?
Can't help with the first part as I'm a novice with CC myself, but a Cube is a collection of cards used to create a custom draft environment - rather than buying booster packs for a draft, you make your own out of cards from your own collection! If you like the idea, there are plenty of introductions to making your own around the place, though CubeCobra is a pretty decent place to start. Plenty of people also copy existing cubes, like MTGO's Vintage Cube, the ubiquitous wtfwlf 360 and whatever Tom LaPile has done recently

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
do you use Card Conjurer? I don't know what all of the {} codes are for creating text, like the little divider line and stuff like that and it's not on the site.
When you go to the Text tab, below the 'Enter text' field, there's a a dropdown 'Text Code / Mana Symbol Code Reference' that you can click on to display almost all of the different options.
also, what is a cube?
A cube is a custom draft format, no more, no less. Basically you build a big box of cards that you use to create boosters and draft with friends like they were real boosters.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The Grimoire feels a bit too "gamey" to me, like it's just a creature so connive makes sense, and it could probably just be an artifact that looted on etb and play identical in most games. I'm not really invested in the body, so the decision point of connive is not about the +1/+1 counter and instead what I want to hit the graveyard.
After playtesting it a bit, it turns out the 0/1 version of Crawling Grimoire with the {3}{B} activation cost suuucked. It simply wasn't impactful enough in any strategy. I changed it to a 1/1 and lowered the activation cost, and now it plays a lot better!

Crawling Grimoire.jpg

It's basically "what if we made Doomed Necromancer playable" now.

After playtesting it a bit, it turns out the 0/1 version of Crawling Grimoire with the {3}{B} activation cost suuucked. It simply wasn't impactful enough in any strategy. I changed it to a 1/1 and lowered the activation cost, and now it plays a lot better!

View attachment 8936

It's basically "what if we made Doomed Necromancer playable" now.
This card seems really pushed in this version, I kind of love it.

It’s like one of those War of the Spark uncommons.
Yeah. I think an uncommon Elspeth with Exalted that had like 3 loyalty for -1: 1/1 Soldier could have been a design there.

This is like the mythic version of a WARwalker.

It's a cute nonbo that it has a low MV cascade, yet requires creatures of low MV for the -2. Balances itself beautifully in that regard.

Yeah. I think an uncommon Elspeth with Exalted that had like 3 loyalty for -1: 1/1 Soldier could have been a design there.

This is like the mythic version of a WARwalker.

It's a cute nonbo that it has a low MV cascade, yet requires creatures of low MV for the -2. Balances itself beautifully in that regard.

I don’t understand how it is like the mythic planeswalkers from War of the Spark.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type:planeswalker+(game:paper)+set:war

Messing around with some ideas for non-flip battles. As I'm pushing the flavour of the cube towards an Empire vs. Outlands theme, I think there could be a place for some really cool cards that represent a battle (I guess the exact reason they made them...haha). But I don't really like any of the current ones and I'm not using any flip-cards. So here's my idea for a new battle for the cube.

Some notes:
- I think this is probably way too weak at 6 counters. Could be Hideaway 10 maybe, just cast the best card in your deck.
- Didn't realize battles weren't on CardConjurer or MSE so I did the battle star thing by hand (it shows, haha). I'll keep working on it.
- When I've got it good, I'll post it to the forum for anyone who wants to use it.
- I wasn't going to spend a lot of time looking for art for this, so that will likely change too.
- Any feedback or ideas for cool battles are welcome!

E7rRhc7.png

Right. That makes sense. I'd rather avoid taking on a bunch of extra subtypes but I can probably just drop the subtype all together. Thanks for the ideas!!

Right. That makes sense. I'd rather avoid taking on a bunch of extra subtypes but I can probably just drop the subtype all together. Thanks for the ideas!!
I kinda think you need a subtype in order to define it, based on the fact that "Siege" is what gets the reminder text, rather than "Battle." Not totally sure.

I kinda think you need a subtype in order to define it, based on the fact that "Siege" is what gets the reminder text, rather than "Battle." Not totally sure.
Fair. Maybe this whole idea is a wash, haha. I mean, the cards all have so much reminder text at the moment. I'll give it some thought for sure.

Fair. Maybe this whole idea is a wash, haha. I mean, the cards all have so much reminder text at the moment. I'll give it some thought for sure.
Go with one specific type of battle that triggers from a specific way so that it's consistent. I did three different triggers to give a variety of ideas. I think that converting damage to value is an interesting space. You could also do like "When ~ enters, ABC." "When ~ is defeated, XYZ." as different effect. That's more similar to how the sieges work. Or like "~ isn't a creature if it has defense counters on it." but then IDK where the P/T goes lol. Maybe an enchantment or artifact with that effect. "At the beginning of your end step, do XYZ if ~ has no defense counters on it."

Lots of ways to take it for single faced battles.

So, I've replaced all my artifacts with old border brown frames. But I was stuck on how to handle the coloured artifacts. Eventually, I just made a new frame for them that works in CardConjurer. Here's an imgur link to the idea because the cards are too big to post. Let me know if anyone wants me to post them condensed! I'll need to do some tinkering with actual colourless artifacts to see what I like best for that. Oh, and legends crowns.

Portable Hole - New Card Frame