General Custom Cards: The Lab

Aoret

Developer
Making it hit target permanent instead of target creature might be interesting enough to warrant inclusion. I think the mana cost becomes a little too permissive if you make it that powerful though. Having a best-case scenario of killing their planeswalker and ulting your own is kind of extreme at 1 U/B

edit: honestly, maybe that best case is too strong regardless. The other option I suppose would be "target non-planeswalker permanent" while also making the spell cantrip. That's probably enough incentive for it to be good, since at that point you're now doing weird stuff to artifacts too...

tumblr_nmpc91thjs1tm904wo1_400.png

Lotta creative things coming down from MTG Cardsmith. I've never tried killing an opponent before, but I'm eager to try it out.

So... how do you cast it?

It says you can't pay the mana costs.

So I'm pretty sure you can't.

Edit: Actually, you REALLY can't cast it. Nothing on the card defines the */* in the P/T, so even if you manage to get it into the yard and reanimate it (which appears to be the intended use of the card), it immediately dies due to having 0 toughness.

It is surprising how many different ways that card has gone wrong. Like, there are already cards in the game that cannot be cast from the hand. Putting mana symbols in the top-right and then telling people to ignore those symbols is the strangest way I've ever seen someone try to accomplish that.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I get the feeling this is a card meant to expand the mythos of the game, but not actually change the game. Imagine if that kind of jank was just floating around in boosters, maybe full are cards that don't do anything, or with flavor text on them. Could be cool, but no doubt it would be really cheesy.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually can't see the card, apparently my work firewall blocks tumblr (Shocking I know) so I'll just take your word for it

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I actually can't see the card, apparently my work firewall blocks tumblr (Shocking I know) so I'll just take your word for it

Ok, fasten your seatbelts! I'm not leaving anything out, not even the typos!

Xenomorph {X}{X}{X}{X}{X}
Creature - Unknown (M15 uncommon)
(On this card, {X} stands for "unknown"(That means, Xenormorph is neither colorless or has any color, and you can't pay the mana costs))
When Xenormorph enters the battlefield, destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated or protected (or anything to prevent that destruction).
If you control 3 or more Xenomorphs, you may kill your opponent.
*/*

Yep... I'm pretty sure that beats the dwarf legend!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly while stupid, it mostly just needs some better templating.

Xenomorph
Creature - Unknown (Uncommon)

(On this card, {X} stands for "unknown"(That means, Xenormorph is neither colorless or has any color, and you can't pay the mana costs)
This text is mostly unsalvageable, as it's literally supposing the impossible. I'd go with ~ is colorless. The Evermind style mana cost accomplishes the "you can't pay" etc)

When Xenormorph enters the battlefield, put target creature in it's owner's graveyard. (This accomplishes the whole "Destroy it no really" text the owner phrased so badly. Strange shroud still stops this thing)

If you control 3 or more creatures named "Xenomorph", each opponent loses the game. (Let's be honest, this card is likely not actually working murder into the MTG Ruleset)

~'s Power and Toughness are equal to the number of creatures you control named Xenomorph (Best guess)
*/*

No matter how you fix that card, it reads like a goddamn eleven year old made it right after he finished his completely original Sonic universe deviantart avatar.

guess not

so after looking at my custom cube in progress i noticed trading post would fit perfectly

however, i don't have goat tokens in use currently, so i was thinking about maybe putting a handful of cards with some minor goat synergy

this is really all i thought of so far
Reckless Wolf {1}{R}
Creature — Wolf
Haste
When Reckless Wolf enters the battlefield, target opponent puts three 0/1 white Goat creature tokens onto the battlefield.
3/2

idk tho this isn't really doing it for me atm tho

any thoughts?
yes i'm making a serious request for help with goat tribal

that type of thing will work out in my playtesting, i'm more concerned with seeing if it has mechanical space worth exploring at all.
i suppose i have a doran effect in here, that's a minor synergy

Dark Shrine {2}
Artifact
When Dark Shrine enters the battlefield, put three 0/1 white Goat creature tokens onto the battlefield.
{1}, Sacrifice a Goat: Draw a card.

aether-djinn-jpg.390

Help on wording please....also couldn't find the artist. Basically, something like this would be my hope to replace Djinn of Wishes.

**EDIT: Found the artist, this is FetalNIGHTMARE on DeviantArt

Attachments

• Aether Djinn.jpg
    Aether Djinn.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 56

Aoret

Developer
aether-djinn-jpg.390

Help on wording please....also couldn't find the artist. Basically, something like this would be my hope to replace Djinn of Wishes.

Taking a stab at the templating... I'd change it to: "If you do, search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that creature" and put it into your hand."
Unless by "spell" you meant "instant or sorcery" but I'm pretty sure I'm guessing your intent right with the above.

i think skrap is right

Trading Post is my favorite Magic card of all time :D

Springjack Pasture is a cute (and durdly) way to make goats

EDIT: I just read the goat-tribal article and I loved every bit of it.
i like springjack pasture but in my current environment i don't see anyone picking it ever, i wanted to see if anyone had any custom cards that do goat things that are decently pickable