General Custom Cards: The Lab

I think I'm okay with as using the flavor of white saving things to have a sweet abuasable blink creature. Probably should say non token, or sac a spirit, or make thopters and say sac artifact.

Beastial maps looks sweet, I've been meaning to try it some time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think I'm okay with as using the flavor of white saving things to have a sweet abuasable blink creature. Probably should say non token, or sac a spirit, or make thopters and say sac artifact.

Beastial maps looks sweet, I've been meaning to try it some time.

Mask is so awesome. You know how people talk about Soulflayer and the cool little draft around minigame he creates?

These are a few things you feel gleeful making a 4/4:
-something with double strike
-anything that naturally gets/has +1/+1 counters
-creature tokens
-evasion creatures
-Heir of the Wilds and other Ferocious creatures
-Spellskite
-Sabatoeurs
-Birds of Paradise
-Anything you need kept alive (Blood Artist?)
-Blade Splicer (Not the token)
-Eldrazi Spawn (I've got triple nest invader in my cube)
-ETB guys once they've done their thing (Ever been beaten to death by a bone shredder?)
-Anything frustrating to kill (Gravecrawler, Strangleroot Geist, Hell River Boa!)

I swear I find new cool shit to do with this thing every draft

Aoret

Developer
Another cubeable RNN card. Probably busted? I also kinda wish it did the Sangrite Backlash thing instead.

COFM3YAUAAAW9xS.jpg

Aoret

Developer
This one is a lot of words when templated correctly, but I think it might be pretty sweet and have a surprising amount of play to it:

Grave Mistake - 1B - Instant

As an additional cost to cast Grave Mistake, sacrifice a creature.
Return target creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the converted mana cost of the sacrificed creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.

This one is a lot of words when templated correctly, but I think it might be pretty sweet and have a surprising amount of play to it:

Grave Mistake - 1B - Instant

As an additional cost to cast Grave Mistake, sacrifice a creature.
Return target creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the converted mana cost of the sacrificed creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.

idk, its a lot worse than CT's Pure Return card, which he says nobody plays... and probably much worse than

Wait are you guys missing that it's an Instant and Victimize isn't? I thought we were in pushed Altar's Reap territory. I almost like the spell more if instead of CMC X or less it's 'with a greater converted mana cost'.
(possibly greater by two? I'm awful at development)

It may be okay if the restriction is totally removed. If the restriction is less than, its worse than unearth. If the restriction is greater than, its just weird? but still probably too weak.

Aoret

Developer
I thought we were in pushed Altar's Reap territory. I almost like the spell more if instead of CMC X or less it's 'with a greater converted mana cost'.

Yeah that's along the lines of the vibe I was going for. I don't want for it to be a reanimator spell, which is why I stipulated <= and not >. I thought a black flavored Cloudshift could be really interesting, and then when I was templating it, it both made more sense and seemed to play better if I stapled on the utility of being able to get back other stuff too. I'm envisioning doing stuff like saccing a Solemn Simulacrum to this after declaring blockers with it, then returning the solemn. Or you live the dream and like side-grade your solemn into an Abyssal Persecutor? I dunno, it just feels like it has a deceptive amount of play to it.

Aoret

Developer
Yeah, sorta Undying Evil but it does a lot more things. It likes Threaten, it kills your dude without your opponent obliging you by attacking, it doesn't upgrade your dude, loses cool Persist synergies, but gains the ability to access the graveyard in a way that isn't busted.

I guess what I've learned from this discussion is the card definitely isn't busted and I should probably swap it in for Undying Evil and just see what happens :)

Aoret

Developer
I like the "more fair Kira" idea of the design. I think it may be a little bit too pushed. Usually evolve guys start out with more awkward P/T for their costs if monocolored (Gyre Sage, Battering Krasis, Shambleshark but then again who cubes those cards?). I think I like this guy better as a 1/2, but I dunno if I'd play him in that case.

Flavor gripe: no precedent for Weirds that are Elementals. Even though weirds basically are elementals, none of them ever have been so I think we're mixing up two "different" things here.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think if we're going to get an Abzan Falconer that gives a better than kira keyword, it'd probably not be an evolve creature even green didn't get.

Aoret

Developer
Ah, I was looking at the card on the right.
oh jeez lol... I even stopped to examine both cards like "is there a difference here?" and concluded that they were just rendered at different rarity. I keep posting before coffee and it continues to be a terrible idea every time.

Well, in that case, 100% agree with your assessment. I can't imagine the card on the right being a good idea to run. Way, way better than the Kira keyword that way.

How would you cost a sorcery that gives you two Tarmogoyf tokens (the card needing to be quite weaker than actual tarmo)? 3GG? 4GG?

e: maybe with a */*+1 and a *+1/*

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
e: maybe with a */*+1 and a *+1/*

Seems complicated. Tarmogoyf is a */*+1 so that it doesn't reach zero toughness if graveyards are emptied. If you don't care about that issue, then you might as well make two */*'s just to avoid complexity.

3GG sounds about right, but pretty boring.

That's some golgari juice, if we want to keep brainstorming we can get much more (we may also want to make a goyf cube sooner or later):

UR
Instant
Put two Illusion Lhurgoyf tokens, one is 1/* and the other is */1, they're both Phantasmal

other possible version: they're not phantasmal, but one is a x/1 magnivore and the other a 1/x cognivore (no one dies when you cast the spell)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Say I'm looking for a blue/black reanimation spell. How is this:

Planned Awakening {3}{U}{B}
Sorcery
Draw a card, then discard a card.
Each player returns all creature cards from his or her graveyard to the battlefield.

Too easy to abuse?

Or maybe...

Stirring Memories{1}{U}{B}
Choose one --
* Draw three cards. Then discard two cards unless you discard a creature card.
* Return target creature card with converted casting cost 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Say I'm looking for a blue/black reanimation spell. How is this:

Planned Awakening {3}{U}{B}
Sorcery
Draw a card, then discard a card.
Each player returns all creature cards from his or her graveyard to the battlefield.

Too easy to abuse?

Or maybe...

Stirring Memories{1}{U}{B}
Choose one --
* Draw three cards. Then discard two cards unless you discard a creature card.
* Return target creature card with converted casting cost 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

I think adding looting onto a reanimation spell essentially just makes it green :p There's not a huge amount of difference between Planned Awakening and Dramatic Entrance (for you anyways)
Weather or not it's too easy it kinda just feels wrong
I like Stirring Memories better, though the power maxer in me wants to call it useless since it can't bring back Iona, and if you're playing reanimator why are you reanimating 4 drops? (Why are you even running 4 drops?)

How much power do you think this should have?
{2}
Artifact Creature
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a basic land card. Put that card in your hand and the rest on the bottom in a random order.
*/1

Probably 1? I want a cubeable pilgrim's eye, and I'm not sure how powerful the card is at base