General Custom Cards: The Lab

honestly no i just think they're a criminally underrepresented tribe in mtg and was wondering if yall had any sweet customs

like if i was still playing enough magic to warrant making another custom cube i would totally have a skeleton subtheme

edit: as long as it didnt interfere with my other idea which was to make a cube with all titles/artists of famous one-hit-wonder type songs

Haha, that sounds hilarious! It's pretty bonkers on an empty hand as well!

Edit: Also, bbf with Dr. Teeth!
I suppose it's potentially a draw 3 on an empty hand but it's also potentially a lot worse. Not to mention the hand-knowledge cost. However, it puts stuff in your graveyard so, yay? This card would probably break constructed in half but who cares.

What's bbf? big beautiful fiend??

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I came up with a slightly simpler variant for the {U/R} cycler. The exile clause is mostly there to prevent shenanigans in constructed. Not that that's a concern in cube, but I don't like to design cards that couldn't be printed in a real set. As you can see I also fixed the reminder text (I fixed it on Bleed Dry as well).

Syphon Aether.full.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
up to 1 should be added

I would have worded it as a "choose one or both" spell (see Branching Bolt for example) if I wanted it to work that way, but the wording is in fact intentional. This is a great, great tempo spell. Regrowing a burn (i.e. removal) spell while temporarily dealing with a threat feels great, and I like it even more than Manifest Aether so far in testing. I'm pretty sure four mana is a great deal for this effect, and since spellcasting is a normal part of progressing the game for both players, I think it's fine as is. Plus, this way your opponent can play around it if they choose. If you keep four mana open with a removal spell in the yard, and you've seen Syphon Aether in game 1, maybe it's correct to just declare attacks and pass the turn?

It's kind of hard to read/understand right now, maybe it would be easier if you separate the two returns onto separate lines.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's kind of hard to read/understand right now, maybe it would be easier if you separate the two returns onto separate lines.

:( Well, that's regular templating for you. I'm afraid I can't do much about that (well... don't want to because it's the correct templating), e.g.

Edit: Man, I really sound protective of this card. I do appreciate the input!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Both are actually correct.
Ex

vs

Those cards work differently. Common Bond allows you to put both counters on the same creature, that's why it's worded that way, though they could have used "Distribute two +1/+1 counters among one or two target creatures." Reap What Is Sown always puts a single +1/+1 counter on a creature, no matter how many targets you choose for the spell (see Abzan Charm, for example). In fact, Common Bond leads to more rules questions [citation needed] than Reap What Is Sown because using two lines on an instant or sorcery is really unusual unless the effects are disconnected from each other in a way, like cycling on an instant or sorcery. That's always on a separate line. That's not the case with the return effect on Syphon Aether though, and worse, there is actually a disconnected effect, the basic landcycling, that needs to be on a separate line. Splitting out the effect into separate lines will only lead to confusion of another kind, and I'm still not convinced it's default templating. Besides, Syphon Aether is no Dead Ringers, the text is actually readable and understandable, even if you have to read it twice.

The only point of confusion is that mtg templating qualifies both caregories, eg "creature from a graveyard" and "creature on the battlefield". Your spell is grammatically incomplete in that one half is qualified and one isn't. You'd have to write "spell on the stack" to accurately match templating, but "on the stack" is outside of normal mtg templates (but has been used).

Not that big a deal in my opinion.