General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
with Kaladesh, I'm trying to add an artifact theme to my cube. While there's plenty of easy ways to add artifact density to my cube (Make random creatures artifact creatures, clues, thopters, golems, cards like courier's capsule, etc)
However, payoffs for artifacts are mostly blue, red, and cheaty (Tinker, Goblin Welder, and Trash for Treasure all have to do A LOT to justify their cost)

I'm looking to add black as a tertiary color, mostly because of these cards:
marionettemaster.jpg
syndicatetrafficker.jpg
embraalbruiser.jpg

However, Marrionette Master is a bit below the curve for a cube with thundermaw hellkite in it. So in terms of buffing it:

{3}{B}{B}
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two +1/+1 counters on it, or create two 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying.
whenever an artifact you control dies, target opponent loses life equal to ~'s power
1/3

The net changes being thopters instead of servos, (which leads to manually spelling out fabricate), and being 5 mana.

Another payoff I'd been pondering is this: (Assume proper wording)

Tezzeret's Touch {2}{U}
Enchant Artifact
Enchanted Artifact is a creature with base P/T 4/4
When ~ dies, return ~ from your graveyard to your hand

The Rancor text was to make this more of a gameplan than Ensoul Artifact, which is a bit all or nothing. It also could be a planeswalker, though I'd like it more if the animating ability was a plus that lasted till your next upkeep rather than a more permanent minus, to keep the number of 4/4 clues running around limited to one.

How do these sound, and do you guys have any sweet artifact payoffs? (Black or otherwise)

Hey CT
http://www.sf4remix.com/anotaks_temp_crap/future-cube-2015.mse-set

there should be plenty of material there, this was the artifact+graveyard custom cube i was working on before i quit playing magic
This is a really cool set! I haven't gone into the nitty gritty of the mechanical themes and structures yet, but gadamn, the names are so frickin' funny :D. Gems like:

"2/2 jace -2"
"breakthrough??"
"efficient vanilla dude??????"

and how could I forget
"death trigger guy"

Made my day

(and I really like this gravepulse)
gravepulse.jpg

i was doing a thing where i was associating each color with a certain card type in the yard and that's why black/green did that

also lol those names are placeholders, easier than leaving it blank

this mechanic is p obvious but i felt like messing with it some anyway
like a blink, like rescue from the underworld, like unearth. {2}{W}{W}
Instant
Return a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Salvage (Each permanent you sacrifice while casting this spell pays for {1})

salvageflyer {2}{W}
Artifact Creature — Golem
Flying
When salvageflyer enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 blue Thopter artifact creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
2/1

blue meanie 4U
Flash
blue meanie can’t be blocked.
3/6

risky business {2}{U}
Instant
Draw two cards.
Salvage (Each permanent you sacrifice while casting this spell pays for 1)

salvagemare {5}{B}
Artifact Creature — Nightmare Golem
Flying
salvagemare’s power and toughness are equal to the number of black and Swamp cards in your graveyard.
*/*

six feet deep {2}{B}
Instant
Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each permanent card in your graveyard.

all in {6}{R}{R}
Double strike, trample, haste
When all in enters the battlefield, it deals 4 damage to each other creature.
4/4

salvagelightning {2}{R}
Trample, haste
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice salvagelightning.
6/1

Shrapnel Bomb {1}{R}
Instant
Shrapnel Bomb deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Hungry Boy {X}{G}
Hungry Boy enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
0/0

salvage free cast thing {X}{G}
Sorcery
Reveal the top X cards of your library. You may put a permanent card with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

salvage ritual etb gal {2}{B}{R}
Menace, haste
When salvage ritual etb gal enters the battlefield, add RRR to your mana pool.
3/2

this frog might be salvaged {2}
2/2

Hello fellow cubers :)

I am looking for an artwork that depicts all ten scry Temples without looking poorly done.

--------

Hi everyone. I am new on Riptide but I've had a cube for years. It's a mix of 75 % Wizards of the Coast and 25 % custom cards (It's a great feeling when you have your hands free to form a cube) Now I've come to you custom card creators for help :)

See I've recently implemented my own version of the Utility Land Draft Jason wrote an article about and made it a little bit more advanced and it's been received positively. I've decided to add Temple of 'Choice' but I haven't found a good way to do this. Any suggestions?

(The Temple of 'Choice' is a card in the Utility Land Draft that gives the player any option between the 10 scry Temples from the Theros block.)

Is there anyone here with some Photoshop skills who can help me (and everyone else who does the Temple of 'Choice') or anyone who has a great picture of all ten scry lands or their artwork?

Kind regards

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hello fellow cubers :)

I am looking for an artwork that depicts all ten scry Temples without looking poorly done.

--------

Hi everyone. I am new on Riptide but I've had a cube for years. It's a mix of 75 % Wizards of the Coast and 25 % custom cards (It's a great feeling when you have your hands free to form a cube) Now I've come to you custom card creators for help :)

See I've recently implemented my own version of the Utility Land Draft Jason wrote an article about and made it a little bit more advanced and it's been received positively. I've decided to add Temple of 'Choice' but I haven't found a good way to do this. Any suggestions?

(The Temple of 'Choice' is a card in the Utility Land Draft that gives the player any option between the 10 scry Temples from the Theros block.)

Is there anyone here with some Photoshop skills who can help me (and everyone else who does the Temple of 'Choice') or anyone who has a great picture of all ten scry lands or their artwork?

Kind regards

Ten is a lot. I can't see this being done nicely.

As I'm sure any riptider can tell you, I myself am a photoshop genius. I might be able to come up with something but I'm busy as hell right now. Masters thesis submission deadline is in about 22 hours.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly, I can't really imagine a combined artwork would look all that great. I'd probably use the land symbol or something else universal.
1341_FUTsymbol_land.jpg

Yeah that's what I figured. Well I gave it a shot.

James you are most welcome to try and come up with something in 22,1 hour ;)

I've been brainstorming lately about the possibility of cutting back on dual lands without needing to replace the superb fetchlands. This is one of the ideas I'm kicking around. Have people tried something like this before?
Gilded Marsh.jpg

Mad Prophet, what are your thoughts on Land // Spell split cards?

I can't say I've ever had anybefore now

The idea certainly has potential. I'm trying to think of the times in magic where I felt like I had a land//spell split card so I can get some kind of a baseline. Retrace spells and cycling lands let you trade your lands for other cards...

My only concern is that a lot of attention needs to be paid to the power level of the spell effect. I suspect you have to be very careful if your cube contains any life from the loam or crucible of worlds type cards. Lands are sometimes allowed to be tutored or recurred in a way that is pretty unacceptable for a spell.

Can't be boiling up a Doom Blade every turn.