General Custom Cards: The Lab

GiftsForgiven: Your cube would need a lot of flash to make that playable, and it's not nearly at that level now. You might try Prophet of Kruphix or something similar. It's a surprisingly good card.

I'm cleaning up the text of one of my custom cards and could use some input. Which wording is the best?

Current:
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two fade counters on each other nonland permanent you control.
Each other nonland permanent you control has fading and enters the battlefield with two additional fade counters on it.
Whenever another nonland permanent you control leaves the battlefield, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Proposed #1:
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a collapse counter on each other nonland permanent you control.
Whenever a permanent you control has three or more collapse counters on it, sacrifice it.
(Same damage ability)

Proposed #2:
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a collapse counter on each other nonland permanent you control, then sacrifice each permanent you control with three or more collapse counters on it.
(Same damage ability)

I think both proposed wordings are a lot better than what I currently have, but I'm not sure which is better, or if I'm missing something nicer. Opinions?

Proposed #2:
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a collapse counter on each other nonland permanent you control, then sacrifice each permanent you control with three or more collapse counters on it.
(Same damage ability)

This is very nicely templated :). Having one "collapse" ability makes it very easy to follow the instructions, It's one step right into the next: add counters, buh bye to everything with three counters on it. This is how we are generally taught to count groups, so it's very intuitive. Think about counting out coins, dealing hands of cards, arranging silverware, etc... we learn to build groups and then take an action on them such as moving onto the next group. In the coin example, counting out 4 American Quarters = 1USD, move onto next group.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah wording 2 is real nice. I don't know if proliferate is on any cards in your cube, but wording 3 doesn't let your opponent volt charge away your board after the first trigger, since they only die during the actual trigger.

Also good call on 3 or more

Thanks! Going with that one. I don't run any proliferate, but I've kicked around the idea of Tezzeret's Gambit or a custom. I did notice that I had the damage trigger as "Whenever a nonland ..." and when I rewrote it from memory I changed it to "Whenever another nonland ...". That may be a sign that it should be "another" for consistency with the upkeep ability.

Proposed #2:
(Same damage ability)

I like this one, and I think I'd probably add a line saying that when [CARDNAME] leaves the battlefield, remove all collapse counters from permanents you control. Otherwise you'd end up with a bunch of counters that don't do anything on all your cards.

Extradimensional Horror {U}{B}{R}
Creature - Spirit Horror
Flying, Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card with converted mana cost three or less from it and exile that card.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, that card's owner may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
3/1

Does Rishadan Port have a Magus-of version yet? It could have fun tension between wanting to get in damage and disrupt mana. Maybe, though, one mana is too cheap of a CMC. #showercards

[Proper adjective] Farmer [or some other land-oriented job] {R}
Creature - Human [or some other relevant tribe]
{1},{T} : Tap target land.
They work the land, and the land only works for them [or some other generic flavor text].
2/1

Chris Taylor, were you responsible for this card? I'm looking for alternatives that aren't as busted.
o1mVPOG.jpg

Here are three:
0ec50kO.jpg
gf37nUF.jpg
tw52kFd.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man, y'all overestimate me :p\

Of those, I like the first one. Adding flash to Spiketail Drake over there makes it only slightly better than actual wind drake, and once it's in play there's less and less value around a counter they know about.
An ETB prohibit would be interesting, since I imagine the issue with the first version is that it was so easily a hard counter as the game went on. That probably works better than the logic knot trigger, but I don't know what kind of body to put it on.

Man, y'all overestimate me :p\

Of those, I like the first one. Adding flash to Spiketail Drake over there makes it only slightly better than actual wind drake, and once it's in play there's less and less value around a counter they know about.
An ETB prohibit would be interesting, since I imagine the issue with the first version is that it was so easily a hard counter as the game went on. That probably works better than the logic knot trigger, but I don't know what kind of body to put it on.

Going with 2U 1/3, ETB counter target spell costing 2 or less, kicker 'exile your graveyard' for the file. I think I'll probably play with the Drake for a bit though, it was fun when I played it before and feels more versatile.

New card, might need to be RR to tone it down a little:
GQFHOsq.jpg

Since it doesn't look like we're getting a counterpart for Hymn of the Wilds, what do you think of this?
Mystical Chant.png
Better art/name suggestions welcome too.

I'd like to replace my BUG slot with something that boosts reanimator, since that's BUG's natural identity in my cube. I was thinking maybe a missing piece wildcard like:

Reanimator Charm
BGU
Instant
Choose one -- [Reanimate]; [Eladamri's Call]; Draw 2, discard 1.

But that's kind of boring. Any more interesting ideas?

When I say Reanimate, I mean with life loss, but I do think discard + reanimate in one card is too easy and doesn't feel like playing reanimator anyway.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Isn't that just one-sided Show and Tell? Unless you mean reanimate as in with the life loss, but that still seems way too good.

3 color cards have a high ceiling. Think Dramatic Entrance? (I'm sure there's something out there that doesn't have the green restriction, or would have been had we not entered the post emrakul era of big fatties)

When I say Reanimate, I mean with life loss, but I do think discard + reanimate in one card is too easy and doesn't feel like playing reanimator anyway.

This is fair

3 color cards have a high ceiling. Think Dramatic Entrance? (I'm sure there's something out there that doesn't have the green restriction, or would have been had we not entered the post emrakul era of big fatties)

This is fair
Not that high. Dramatic entrance is two mana more and has three more downsides than this proposed spell (card disadvantage, color restriction, can't grab a creature already in the yard). Oh, and it doesn't dig you to other useful spells.

Maybe if it was like 2UGB and a sorcery. (Didn't even realize it was an instant until now. Made me laugh)