General Custom Cards: The Lab

I think echo, if properly balanced, could be just as interesting as evoke. The problem is that the echo costs on most of the ETB creatures are almost never worth paying, which just means they're too high.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think echo, if properly balanced, could be just as interesting as evoke. The problem is that the echo costs on most of the ETB creatures are almost never worth paying, which just means they're too high.

The problem I have with echo is that it's a negative mechanic; "You don't get to keep this creature *unless* you pay extra." Evoke on the other hand is a positive mechanic; "Here's a creature with a cool enters the battlefield mechanic, but you can *also* use it as a spell if you pay less." Somehow evoke just sits better with me than echo.

I think the right way to do echo is a fair cost for a spell effect + blocker for a turn up front, and then a reasonable cost for the permanent body as the echo cost. Think Mulldrifer at 3U with echo 1U, or Bone Shredder with echo B.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think the right way to do echo is a fair cost for a spell effect + blocker for a turn up front, and then a reasonable cost for the permanent body as the echo cost. Think Mulldrifer at 3U with echo 1U, or Bone Shredder with echo B.

Maybe. It's not a mechanic I can see myself getting excited about ever though.

3 for 1 for 3 mana? hrm. i cant decide if its too clunky and bad or if it's absurd and would warp games by being overly card efficient. seems very binary, possibly very swingy
if it's really that absurd without being a cute rare, i feel like it isn't worth it. environmental context obv matters here

imo bequeathal should be more black than anything today, like i would feel more comfortable with your card if it had a premodern border

oooo what if we made a custom premodern cube

also this is the only skinner that is touching anyone
7cg98Y8.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Though maybe the card is more than the sum of its parts. It's easy to ignore rarity on custom cards, but your drafters will definitely take the rarity of a card into account when evaluating how good it is. In all likelyhood this should be pushed to uncommon at least. Also, sigh is following the exact reasoning for all of the card's aspects as I did, which is pretty neat :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Would be super neat if it can enchant your opponents creatures, but when the creature dies, its controller draws the cards.

I think that's a very nicely designed card! First off its a 3 for 2 because the creature has to die. Secondly, the bequeathal effect is definitely green, I think. See
fecundity
Foster
Reincarnation
Fruit of the first tree
And so on. Green cares about remembrance and ancestry, so this fits.

All in all, i'd say sweet card!

Nah, it can be a delayed 3 for 1. I'm pretty sure its too good. I love it. Just might have to draw 1 card instead. Would still be solid. Though still worse than other color's removal.

That seems like an easy way to balance it. Honestly it seems like a really easy way balance fighting period. 2 mana Prey Upon + can trip seems pretty sweet

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nah, it can be a delayed 3 for 1. I'm pretty sure its too good. I love it. Just might have to draw 1 card instead. Would still be solid. Though still worse than other color's removal.

I would be surprised if it is too good. If you want the cards now, it is a 3 for 2 (assuming the fighting creatures kill each other). If you're fine with waiting, your opponent will probably have to trade something for it eventually, making it a 4 for 2 (you are still losing the creature after all). Having to wait for cards is worth considerably less than having access to the cards immediately though, compare Bequeathal to Divinination. Bequeathal is a bad card, even at one mana and in a color that is starving for card advantage. Divination, on the other hand, is a perfectly serviceable limited card. My gut feeling says the card is okay at three mana, but if it's too much I'll report back!

Anyway, next card up is a replacement for the single affinity card (a custom) in my cube. I was looking for a poddable creature card, preferably a team pumper as well, as that effect is lacking a bit from my cube in green. Pretty simple card really, but should be a boost to the constellation decks!

+ = Marauding Lynx.jpg

I wonder if there are any more rally cards I could/should give the constellation treatment?

For some reason, Scion of Darkness led me to the following question:

Would a 'Soultitan-class' creature (think Soul of Zendikar, etc.,) be a good inclusion if it had {Landtype}cycling?

3RR
Soul of Kaladesh
Creature - Avatar
Mountaincycling R
2RR: {Forked Bolt}.
RRR, Exile this from your graveyard: {Flamebreak}.
4/4

Or maybe an evoke-model would be more palatable:

3RR
Soul of Kaladesh
Creature - Avatar
Evoke RR
When this comes into play, {Forked Bolt}.
2R, Exile this from your graveyard: {Flamebreak}
4/4

No, I do not know why the spell effects are different; chalk it up to temporary insanity.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think the design is clearer if you align the activated abilities. There's a reason you get the same effect whether you activate Soul of Zendikar (and the rest) on the battlefield or from your graveyard. Plus, you're already tacking on an extra ability.

I already dislike Griselbrand for costing 8 mana and being a pile of 7's, I can't handle multiple abilities with different costs and different effects that get used in different zones, especially when it makes no sense to me why it does a bunch of different things.

I really like the souls for the symmetry of costs and effects. They are a good inclusion exactly as they are, imo. It's ok sometimes to have to branch to find synergies (like needing a discard outlet to enable immediate use of the GY spell effect)

I've really been hurtin' for a UG Flash lord lately. Something like:

1UG
2/3

Flash

Whenever you cast a creature spell during another player's turn, draw a card.