Sets [DMU] Dominaria United Spoilers

It seems some Saga art has been revealed on today's stream, which means Saga's are back! This, in combination with the legendary-matters wordings in Maro's teaser and my assumption that the new evergreen counters might be artifact counters, really opens the door for historic to return as a "mechanism"!

The main reason I'm hesitant is that with kicker, domain (also from Maro's teaser), saga's and historic there doesn't seem to be much room for new keywords or ability words. That seems kinda unprecedented for a non-coreset?

I hope it is charge counters.

Roughly a quarter of cards using or affecting charge counters were in original Mirrodin block, and with cards like Ion Storm and Power Conduit it felt as if we were on the cusp of a build-around mechanic that never quite materialised.

I have an irrational dislike of shield counters. I can see the gameplay benefits but whenever my opponent has a shield counter I get two-for-one’d, and when I have shield counters my opponent has exile or -x/-x removal.

HAHAHAHA yes.

benalishsleeper.jpg

Gold kicker is basically exactly what I wanted.

theravenman.jpg

The Raven Man

I've desperately wanted to make Tinybones, Trinket Thief work but I don't have the discard density to justify it, and it doesn't survive on its own without synergy as a playable card. The Raven Man may have a lower upside but it's the complete package, and a neat collection of effects to boot. Poor Dogged Detective may not last too long in my cube after all.

squeedubiousmonarch.jpg

Squee, Dubious Monarch may be the lower in terms of power-level compared to the four 3-MV token generating creatures I run in red, but I like it about as much as the rest. I'm obsessed with cards you can cast from your graveyard, and while the escape clause here is no slouch, the haste makes me feel a bit better about this card's chances. Probably will sit in the on-deck binder for a year, but I'm hopeful to have at least one Squee back in my cube.

sheoldredtheapocalypse.jpg

Seems generally unfun and randomly punishing, but I am interested all the same. We've got too many "curve toppers" at 4 MV in red, black, and white as it is, but for a durdly midrange deck? Pretty reasonable.

I love it!!

So much design potential. They can even make cards that puts stun counters on creatures without tapping them.

Feels like one of those 1/3 of a card effect. Or 1/4. Like scry. And they can be put on non-creatures.

Last edited:
I think it's unnecessary as a counter, but it's not offensive to me.

jeditojanenmercenary.jpg

Beloved character, great art, supports legendary-matters.....but also it's three colors. I don't actually have a Bant card I love for cube, so maybe this is a good one? It's powerful, but very mana intensive and overly grindy.

radhasfirebrand.jpg

Oh wow, this is pretty good! I'm so happy with the density of two mana 3/1s printed lately in red, and even though Kargan Intimidator and Bloodbraid Marauder didn't last long in my list at all, I think this is better than both of them by a fair amount. Tapping down blockers is pretty incredible, even ignoring the domain effect.

1660848922629.png

Oh wow, this is pretty good! I'm so happy with the density of two mana 3/1s printed lately in red, and even though Kargan Intimidator and Bloodbraid Marauder didn't last long in my list at all, I think this is better than both of them by a fair amount. Tapping down blockers is pretty incredible, even ignoring the domain effect.

I've been a huge fan of Goblin Heelcutter effects and I've been running Earthshaker Khenra since it was first printed; this seems just as good if not superior with the relevant Human type line opening up more interactions (Champion of the Parish, Thalia's Lieutenant, etc.). You lose that initial burst damage on curve with the haste, but you get greater resiliency as the board develops. Being able to turn this into a 5/3 and neuter a 3-4 power midrange roadblock is big game for aggressive decks. Most of my aggro decks end up being 2 colors so activating at 3R as a virtual curve-topper that doesn't require you to commit more to the board is awesome. Big fan of this design.

1660849034388.png

This is a little more on the nose as just an efficient above-rate body, but it's definitely a signpost card for a beefy and grindy B/x strategy (likely in Golgari or Dimir colors). I don't think I like it more than my current suite of black 4 drops, but this could definitely fit in a lot of different environments. Sometimes you just want a blunt instrument that fulfills a role.

thephasingofzhalfir.jpg

It's a board-wipe in the wrong colors... but I will say that Read Ahead is interesting.

I'm not sure if it's going to play well, mind you, but it seems interesting.

EDIT: Part of me hopes that there's going to be some way to give other Sagas Read Ahead, but the rest of me knows that it'd be a bit broken.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, that's the only Saga it would legitimately break (in the sense of being too powerful — there are a few other Sagas that have later chapters that depend on prior chapters). None of the other Sagas that have been printed have had a negative chapter near the front.

Last edited:
View attachment 7225

The Raven Man

I've desperately wanted to make Tinybones, Trinket Thief work but I don't have the discard density to justify it, and it doesn't survive on its own without synergy as a playable card. The Raven Man may have a lower upside but it's the complete package, and a neat collection of effects to boot. Poor Dogged Detective may not last too long in my cube after all.
This card rocks! I love more support for RB or UB discard. Getting an evasive body off of a Looting is the dream.

EDIT: Discard and Sacrifice are both popular archetypes for Rakdos. If your cube tries to do a little bit of both, this could be a decent bridge! He plays really well with Rankle!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1660852669610.png
If Iymrith, Desert Doom was too strong for your format but you like the vibe, here's a similar card that is probably on balance worse?
I like the idea of more fact or fiction like effects, especially here where it's (probably) not drawing your opponent four whole cards if you divvy piles wrong.

I don't like read ahead. The mechanic itself is fine, and I will probably play some of them because I'm desperate for more sagas, but I don't expect players to read the top of the card that is usually just a bunch of reminder text (and is still for the most part just reminder text). Seems very easy to miss. At least you don't make a rules mistake if you treat it like a normal saga.
I hope I get some high-floor domain cards that offer some interesting synergies.

So far I'm mostly looking at The Raven Man as a black madness payoff with some flex option. Maybe Squee.