Sets [DMU] Dominaria United Spoilers

1660940334263.png

How does this compare to:

I like the Terror's simpler wording on the cost reduction ability and that you can play it for one mana, but a 7/7 with ward is just more reliable as a control finisher I guess. Still a cool card to have.

I like the Terror's simpler wording on the cost reduction ability and that you can play it for one mana, but a 7/7 with ward is just more reliable as a control finisher I guess. Still a cool card to have.
If you've got a lot of Adventures, I'd go with the Sailors' Bane. If not, I'd cut it because I'm getting too old for trinket text.

Samite-Herbalist-DMU-265.jpg
Yavimaya-Steelcrusher-DMU-265.jpg
Scout-the-Wilderness-DMU-265.jpg

These are some pretty tasty utility commons.

Yeah... unless your cube has a ton of cantrips or self-mill, you're probably only going to have, what, 4 instants/sorceries in your yard?

I'd take a 5/5 with Ward 2 for {2}{U} over a 7/7 with Ward 4 for {3}{U}{U} any day.

True... but as a result, I'd probably see Sailor's Bane and go "oh, you're signalling that there's a lot of Adventures/Delve/Flashback/etc in your cube". Whereas Tolarian Terror makes me think you have a Spells Matter archetype.

Yeah... unless your cube has a ton of cantrips or self-mill, you're probably only going to have, what, 4 instants/sorceries in your yard?

I'd take a 5/5 with Ward 2 for {2}{U} over a 7/7 with Ward 4 for {3}{U}{U} any day.

Any day really? If you're a control deck in the late game looking for a finisher, I assume you'd prefer Sailor's Bane easily.

There are two decks in my cube that would want that card. Either super focused decks with 18+ spells that can get 7 of those into the 'yard relatively easily AND U/x control decks, that, as I said, probably would prefer the bigger, harder to kill ~"5-drop" over the weaker ~"3-drop".

okay, combed through the text file, cards I care about so far:

Cult Conscript (recursive black savannah lion)
Gravecrawler variants are a dime a dozen by now. I like this one slightly more than Bloodsoaked Champion because it presents more of a deckbuilding puzzle than a gameplay one, and fits more organically in the decks you'd wantto play it in.

The Elder Dragon War (dragon saga)
Really happy this set is giving me some dragons I want to play in red. It comes with enchantment and madness synergy for free, and I like that it has an incidental optional sweeper that isn't too oppressive against creatures (hopefully).

Founding the Third Path (snapcaster saga)
More fun with sagas. Cool play patterns that gives it home in spell velocity decks, graveyard decks, and anything that likes spells in general.

Leyline Binding (domain cast out)
The fact that this is a reasonable card with just 3 land types is both surprising and very appreciated, and they even added flash to it? Yeah, I'd like that.

Twinferno (modal doublecast/double cleave)
TBR is probably the better double strike card, but this has less of a chance to rot in your hand, opens up cool plays, and might make people pick it in less narrow decks.

"Llanowar Greenwidow" (domain flashback spider)
Another high-floor domain card? The front half is kind of, just a creature, but you can flashback it at instant speed for all your flash decks, and it obviously works in graveyard decks, plus it's completely fine in just a 2-color deck. I can get into this.

plus Raven Man.

Other cards I've taken note of but are less certain about:
Shivan Devastator: I don't know if I can find the room for what's really just a big hasty beater, but I like dragons and it works well with the whole "ranger of eos +1/+1 counter" stuff.
Haughty Djinn: storm enabler???
Llanowar Loamspeaker: A lot of decision space for a mana dork. Not convinced they're my decision space though.
Phoenix Chick: A red 1-drop with fun text, might replace Blazing Rootwalla since this also works pretty well with discard.
Urborg Lhurgoyf: Is this a good card? I'm probably obscuring too many of my creatures through tokens and vehicles and such.
Weatherlight Completed: The idea of a colorless sac payoff is cool, but the card is probably a bit too pigeonholed.
Yotia Declares War: Love the card name. I can imagine this being pretty reasonable.

Set seems solid. I have precisely zero interest in Enlist as a mechanic and Read Ahead is an entirely optional mechanic--if you skip over it and play Sagas with Read Ahead like normal Sagas you're not giving up a large amount of equity--but a lot of the card file is playing in some cool space.

------

Balmor, Battlemage Captain is a neat card from the leaked release notes that I don't think has been brought up yet:

Balmor, Battlemage Captain
{U}{R}
Legendary Creature--Bird Wizard
Flying
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, creatures you control gain +1/+0 and trample until end of turn
1/3

I'm a big fan of Kiln Fiend/Monastery Swiftspear decks and have been trying to make Adeliz work in EDH for a while to no success. The addition of trample and not having to make your deck tribal is really key here, and I think this card might actually work in a creature-focused UR tempo deck. Also, it's 2 mana! What could go wrong?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I’m sad historic isn’t in the set :( So far I haven’t seen anything majorly exciting to me, but that’s okay!
It’s another set with 3-color cards though, so I might take a look at my color wheel and see if I feel like changing it up.

Three of today's spoilers seem kinda interesting:

Keldon Flamesage - {2}{R}
Creature - Human Shaman
Enlist (As this creature attacks, you may tap an unattacking creature that doesn't have summoning sickness. When you do, at its power to this creature's until end of turn.)
Whenever ~ attacks, look at the top X cards of your library, where X is ~'s power. You may exile an instant or sorcery card with mana value X or less from among them. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order. You may cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost.
2/3

On the one hand, it's a damn novel, and the card itself doesn't have the enlist reminder text (so it is doomed to not see play in a lot of riptide-y cubes for complexity reasons). On the other hand... dang, that effect. It's basically a mini Velomachus Lorehold, except it doesn't need to score combat damage and it has a built-in way of pumping itself to cast bigger spells. I'll be a bit surprised if this doesn't see play anywhere, even as just a cute combo deck.

Protect The Negotiators - {1}{U}
Instant
Kicker {W}
If this spell was kicked, create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays {1} for each creature you control.

This is a sweet signpost if your power level isn't too high and you're trying something a bit different with {W/U}. It's a soft counter that's way stronger in aggro strategies than it is in control strategies, and it has the option to be a weaker version of Spellstutter Sprite if you want it to be.

Yavimaya Iconoclast - {1}{G}
Creature - Elf
Kicker {R}
Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, it gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
3/2

This thing is sweet if you're aggro-inclined. And, more importantly, I wouldn't be too embarrassed if I drafted this in a deck that couldn't pay the Kicker — slightly-above-average body+trample is already pretty reasonable by itself.

It's crazy how many off-color kicker cards there are in this set. Could make for a fun limited environment, but makes it much harder to find cube inclusions for me. However ...

Aron, Benalia's Ruin WWB
Legendary Creature — Human Phyrexian
Menace
WB, T, Sacrifice another creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
3/3

Could this guy just be a better version of:

?

Mmmm

More cheaper = more gooder applies to the body, but the fact that Maw's ability is cheaper also makes a big difference. Maw can also sac itself, can do so multiple times a turn, and doesn't need to untap, so my money is still on the Maw.

Aaron is pretty cool, though.

Mmmm

More cheaper = more gooder applies to the body, but the fact that Maw's ability is cheaper also makes a big difference. Maw can also sac itself, can do so multiple times a turn, and doesn't need to untap, so my money is still on the Maw.

Aaron is pretty cool, though.

A few cards from the leaked notes that I think might be fun:

Anointed Peacekeeper - {2}{W}
Creature — Human Cleric
Vigilance
As Anointed Peacekeeper enters the battlefield, look at an opponent’s hand, then choose any card name.
Spells your opponents cast with the chosen name cost {2} more to cast.
Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name cost {2} more to activate unless they’re mana abilities.
3/3

Cleaving Skyrider - {2}{W}
Creature — Human Warrior
Flash
Kicker {2}{R}
Flying
When Cleaving Skyrider enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, it deals X damage to any target, where X is the number of attacking creatures.
2/2

I'm not going to comment on most of these, but... wow, this is a solid design. A flash blocker with flying is a good time, and the fact that you can also slap a better Dogpile on it in the late game? Love it.

Elvish Hydromancer - {2}{G}
Creature — Elf Wizard
Kicker {3}{G}
When Elvish Hydromancer enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a token that’s a copy of target creature you control.
3/2

Haughty Djinn - {1}{U}{U}
Creature — Djinn
Flying
Haughty Djinn’s power is equal to the number of instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
*/4

Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief - {G}{U}
Legendary Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flying
Whenever a player casts a spell that targets only a single creature other than Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief, you may copy that spell. The copy targets Ivy. (A copy of an Aura spell becomes a token.)
2/1

Keldon Strike Team - {2}{R}
Creature — Human Warrior
Kicker {1}{W}
When Keldon Strike Team enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens.
As long as Keldon Strike Team entered the battlefield this turn, creatures you control have haste.
3/1

Slimefoot’s Survey - {4}{G}
Sorcery
Domain — Search your library for up to two land cards that each have a basic land type, put them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle. Look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control. Put up to one of them on top of your library and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Sprouting Goblin - {1}{R}
Creature — Goblin Druid
Kicker {G}
When Sprouting Goblin enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, search your library for a land card with a basic land type, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
{R}, {T}, Sacrifice a land: Draw a card.
2/2

Tear Asunder - {1}{G}
Instant
Kicker {1}{B}
Exile target artifact or enchantment. If this spell was kicked, exile target nonland permanent instead.

Vodalian Mindsinger - {1}{U}{U}
Creature — Merfolk Wizard
Kicker {1}{R} and/or {1}{G}
Vodalian Mindsinger enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it for each time it was kicked.
When Vodalian Mindsinger enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature with power less than Vodalian Mindsinger’s power for as long as you control Vodalian Mindsinger.
2/2