Sets [DMU] Dominaria United Spoilers

Jaya Ballard - b.1995 - d.2022

2910-4562 AR (Argivian Reckoning)

Urza was born on the first day of the first year.
Mishra was born on the last day of the first year.
You will probably get spammed by this in the upcoming spoiler season for The Brother’s War.

Tatyova-Steward-of-Tides-DMU-265.jpg

The best merfolk girl is back.

Electrostatic-Infantry-DMU-265.jpg
Balmor-Battlemage-Captain-DMU-265.jpg

Wizards!

Thran-Portal-extended-DMU-265.jpg

I don't even know. I suspect this is bad unless you can take advantage of the types.

Wow this has to be good in some sort of spell/prowess/magecraft deck. The buff lingers.

Thran-Portal-extended-DMU-265.jpg

I don't even know. I suspect this is bad unless you can take advantage of the types.

I run Gates in my starter set. There's Gates and a few payoff cards. In my level 1 set there are a few more Gates and some support.

I still see no use for this. What am I missing? Isn't it just a sometimes-tapped pain land that only taps for a Basic land color of your choice?

Also a damn cool card. Probably only good for EDH, but I love the idea of running a Jeskai Heroic deck and using a Shepard of the Flock to save something and make a token. Or Dive Down. Or anything. It's pretty good for a 4-mana do-nothing enchantment is what I'm saying.
This goes great with the UG flyer I posted just above. Excited for this one too! Nice that it works on anything and not just instants and sorceries.

Also, a contender for best art in the set:
tailswipe.jpg
I don't really see... what you like about it? I don't think it emphasizes the motion very well, the dinosaur appears to be doing it entirely by accident, but it doesn't make sense for me for the tail to swipe form that position unless it was twisting its body. The sword is just like, hanging in the air. I feel like Epic Confrontation and Outmuscle does a much better job of selling the action.

And then it has to compete with Dave Kendall, Dominik Mayer, Chris Rahn and Wylie Beckert? Why this card?

Wow this has to be good in some sort of spell/prowess/magecraft deck. The buff lingers.

I run Gates in my starter set. There's Gates and a few payoff cards. In my level 1 set there are a few more Gates and some support.

I still see no use for this. What am I missing? Isn't it just a sometimes-tapped pain land that only taps for a Basic land color of your choice?
It is no
That’s for sure. It is a gate if that’s up your alley

I'm not sure I'm THAT much up the Gate alley.

So what's the deal with reprinting Liliana of the Veil in Dominaria United? She isn't that exact version here. This is her from the original Innistrad set.

Liliana of the Veil.png

This is the first time they reprinted a legendary character in a lore-based set. I don't understand the logic behind this besides the $ part of it.

Seriously. I actually love the effect but it's a novel-length card that introduces memory issues at rare for what's a very slight side/upgrade to Terramorphic

You know... I could probably run that with a Kaalia and Dragon's Hoard or something as a little package.

I don't really see... what you like about it? I don't think it emphasizes the motion very well, the dinosaur appears to be doing it entirely by accident, but it doesn't make sense for me for the tail to swipe form that position unless it was twisting its body. The sword is just like, hanging in the air. I feel like Epic Confrontation and Outmuscle does a much better job of selling the action.

And then it has to compete with Dave Kendall, Dominik Mayer, Chris Rahn and Wylie Beckert? Why this card?
Because it's a nice picture of an anatomically plausible Allosaurus.

Sheoldred's Restoration and some of the sagas might end up being a little better, but Tail Swipe is the only card where the art contributes to me wanting to Cube it outside of just mechanical considerations.
sheoldredsrestoration.jpg

Speaking of cards with good art...
theelderdragonwar.jpg

The Elder Dragon War is a fantastic Saga. I've seen some people discuss using this card for reactive midrange and control strategies since it can wipe away aggressive threats from the opponent, provide card selection, and make a reasonable threat in its own right. I like how the Read Ahead ability lets you skip the board wipe if you're using this as an aggressive top end. It makes this card more flexible and more playable than it would have been working with the normal saga rules.

@Dom Harvey does this look like something that could be good in the upcoming Standard format?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Because it's a nice picture of an anatomically plausible Allosaurus.

Sheoldred's Restoration and some of the sagas might end up being a little better, but Tail Swipe is the only card where the art contributes to me wanting to Cube it outside of just mechanical considerations.
sheoldredsrestoration.jpg
Ugh... Sheoldred's Restoration is so bad it hurts. Luckily it exiles itself, so you aren't tempted to cast it twice! o_O This could have had serious legs at {2}{B}, but 4 and 7 mana really aren't good breakpoints.

Honestly, if those two had been bears (well, Goblin Pikers really), they'd excite me on power level. I would love a cycle of stuff like this, I like choices! Just... the power isn't there at all.