Sets [DMU] Dominaria United Spoilers

I prefer these basics to the Theros Beyond Death ones. Although the mana symbol is prominently featured there is still a representation of the land in the art, albeit somewhat abstracted because of the stained glass design. I al prefer this approach over basics that have figurative art of a place only loosely linked to the land type. Ravnica basics are particula offenders, with sewers for swamps, aqueducts for islands, etc.

A question to any flavour enthusiasts out there: when did Dominaria start to become associated with stained glass? It was not a feature in any of the many sets based on Dominaria until the eponymous set released in 2018. The closest I can find from before then is the design on the armour in Capashen Standard.

When the Art Director decided it would be an awesome motif for the plane :p

But yeah no idea beyond that.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I prefer these basics to the Theros Beyond Death ones. Although the mana symbol is prominently featured there is still a representation of the land in the art, albeit somewhat abstracted because of the stained glass design. I al prefer this approach over basics that have figurative art of a place only loosely linked to the land type. Ravnica basics are particula offenders, with sewers for swamps, aqueducts for islands, etc.

A question to any flavour enthusiasts out there: when did Dominaria start to become associated with stained glass? It was not a feature in any of the many sets based on Dominaria until the eponymous set released in 2018. The closest I can find from before then is the design on the armour in Capashen Standard.
It's a bit Benalish specific I think?
3dfb8817-ca3c-44ba-92f2-e9d6294cd25d.png

Edit: Here's what I was thinking of:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Did you know Scryfall has an awesome tagger project? You can actually search for art with stained glass set on Dominaria! :) From this collection, you can tell that stained glass became a theme for New Benalia in the Dominaria set. Apart from the already mentioned Knight of New Benalia, there's also...

shedding some light on the phenomenon through their flavor text. Neat!

The Dominaria storyline has begun. And it has begun with an action packed start.

Karn can sense The Phyrexia is back on Dominaria but no one believes him. So he starts investigating the matter himself and encounters a cave or tunnel filled with living artificial beings. In there is Sheoldred and many, many creatures being completed, some against their will and some willingly.

This video by The Magic Historian is quite cool if you ask me:

What's everyone most excited for in this set? I currently run 8 cards originally printed in the last Dominaria set, and of them, only two of them really deal with the main themes I'd expect to return (legends matter, sagas, saprolings, etc.).

I really am hoping for more Historic / Legends Matter stuff. I've been slowly trying to build it up as a loose theme in my list but I find many of the cards a little too obvious or low-powered. With a full 1/3 of my creatures being legendary, it's a somewhat color agnostic tribal element that people seem to enjoy that can change pick order in interesting way, and open up fun combos. Some of the cards in this theme my group has been enjoying are:

I am mostly motivated to ride the nostalgia train. Give me some cool high fantasy dominaria flavors, give me stupid goblins and slimey saprolings and old border showcase frames.

In The Magic Historian's latest video he guesses that Dominaria Remastered will be a double feature product like we saw with Innistrad recently. And that it will use old border. And some cards might even have old wording. Just a guess.

The storyline of Dominaria United is absolutely pristine. I can only advice you all to take a look at some short videos to dramatically tell the story from the Mothership :)

You can find the first episode above here. It. is. very. good.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
-1/-1 going evergreen would be weird, there's a blogatog from (yesterday?) about persist vs undying to the effect of
"Persist is the better mechanic since Undying creatures are frustrating to cost, but the downside is it uses -1/-1 counters"

Current evergreen counters I think is just +1/+1 and loyalty counters.
Charge counters maybe? IDK they don't always need them, it's kinda hard to judge

I hope its shield counters that would be DOPE

Cool ideas.

Yeah -1/-1 has issues. But maybe they have decided that they aren't really issues anymore. Artifact counters sound cool. Charge counters sound very, very, very reasonable. Good guess.

I am halfway expecting shield counters. They felt like a new shroud/regenerate variant more than a faction mechanic right away for me. Maybe wizards felt the same. Although I would be surprised it's happening in the very next set where they impossibly could have known if they would be well received.