Sets [DMU] Dominaria United Spoilers

Slightly awkward that it's a skeleton, as that removes it from the zombie synergy chains black sections often have.

It's crazy how many off-color kicker cards there are in this set. Could make for a fun limited environment, but makes it much harder to find cube inclusions for me. However ...

Aron, Benalia's Ruin WWB
Legendary Creature — Human Phyrexian
Menace
WB, T, Sacrifice another creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
3/3

Could this guy just be a better version of:

?
Personally, I think it's quite terrible. It's 5 mana and a creature, over two turns and at sorcery speed just to put one counter on your creatures. You need 7 mana, two turns and two creatures to have an effect that I would call decent. And it's two colours and only goes into one deck. I'm not sold on it.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
They finally made a Coercion at 1B. They've been skirting around it for a while. Nice to know it exists now.
Check for Traps is probably better, but this just looks much cleaner.

EDIT: Coercion could hit lands though. Eh, it's close enough.

Check For Traps exiles a card, while Pilfer plops it in the graveyard.

It's just that Check For Traps also has the whole "if X, gain 1 life; if ~X, lose 1 life" thing.

Check For Traps exiles a card, while Pilfer plops it in the graveyard.

It's just that Check For Traps also has the whole "if X, gain 1 life; if ~X, lose 1 life" thing.

Yeah but mostly ‘You lose 1 life’ since most cards aren’t instants.

I would say it is a sidegrade since one card doesn’t lose you life but also doesn’t exile.

And Check for Traps can never gain you life. Only make players lose them.

Dang it, I was about to post that one! It feels strong but reasonable — I'd argue that Growth Spiral is still way stronger for the simple reason that ramping on 2 is better than ramping on 3... but that said, I think Joint Explorations is a better card for cube.

One of the nice things about the gold-kicker cards is that they're only pseudo-gold. While this isn't the case with most of the creatures, I feel like most of the instants and sorceries they've spoiled so far sit in a nice middle-ground where they encourage splashing for their extra color, but don't require it. Like, I'd be reasonably OK with running each of these cards in decks that can't reliably pay their kicker:

EDIT: Looking at some of the older gold-kicker cards, here are some that I'd put on the same list:

Yes, I'm aware that some of those cards don't have kicker. My point still stands.

Last edited:
20220822_163435.jpg

10/10, no notes, perfect Magic card.

I am incredibly stoked to play this set in retail limited. Looks like it will be quite different, it's own thing in some ways, with all those gold but not gold cards. That's ravnica set levels of multicolor cards, if not more.

At the same time, all those ci=2 cards will make it harder to find something for my cube with it's few, precious gold slots, which these would still occupy.

Am I missing something with Urbogoyf? It's a Splinterfright without the Trample or ability to self-grow consistently. And that card has always read better than it actually played. I could see Urbogoyf being solid in Limited as an above rate beater, but I don't think you really want it unless you're a super graveyard cube or lower powered.

You're missing that it costs 2 and can grow itself reasonably if you're in the late game and it's just you and Julio down by the grave yard. It doesn't have to "grow consistently" to be a 3/4 for 2, and in a lot of games its gonna be a lot bigger than a mere 3/4....

I suppose that's true. I just don't find it particularly impressive when it has no real evasion and it looks more limited in the early game on first glance since it only counts your graveyard. It can definitely play well in certain decks, but I'm not sure if I like it more than other consistent options for green midrange beef. It's definitely a neat design and pretty clean, could have had a better name.

Founding-the-Third-Path-DMU-672.jpg
This may be the read ahead I put in my Cube, because you mostly just go I or III, and a flood of recollection where the card is exiled at end of turn isn't amazing, but for control you may need to do it.
(Agh, I misread over the I, for some reason I thought it was from graveyard :p, still decent though.)