General Do finishers have to be so boring?

CML

Contributor
Would you consider the Sidsi deck to be "control" though?

i guess it is, except it doesn't play the control role vs. control

everyone advocating soul of ISD should be forewarned it's pretty bad (so perfect for some environments, not mine)

pretty good thread so far

Interesting thread to post this to. In general, I would say that no, finishers don't have to be boring.

Martial Coup is very strong. I'm a little hesitant to include cards that so cleanly do multiple things a control deck wants in one go, especially a many-for-one that also populates the board with a tricky to deal with finishing force.

I do like the theory, though, and so I opted for the following in my more graveyard-centric cube:

I'm inclined to agree with Sigh on the primary point. I typically dislike cards that both stabilize the board and provide a win condition simultaneously. I think they should do one or the other or cost a lot if they do both. I do feel like a high cost card should give you value though even if it gets answered right away. That's probably more a rule for creatures than spells though so not sure it applies to this discussion. But I wanted to mention that point since it factors into how I think high cost cards should function in lower power level environments.

I ran Martial Coup for awhile in my old midrange cube. It was very good but I don't remember feeling like it was completely busted. 7 is a lot. Five 1/1 creatures is still a 4 turn clock. Most aggro decks can ignore this provided they have any sort of decent reach (burn, follow-up evasive creature, etc.). If memory serves, Martial Coup was beatable while being solid and a pretty high pick for a lot of decks (not just control but also midrange - sometimes you need to hit the reset button).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I remember cutting Martial Coup for being just a little bit too overwhelming to play against. I don't think a wrath effect should double as a hard to remove threat at the same time.