Sets (ELD) Throne of Eldraine Testing and Includes thread.

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.
For me, I'm only going to include a few cards from this set to start with. It was pretty decent over all, but there just weren't a ton of cards that make me want to go out and get them as singles day 1 of release. That said, there are some very nice upgrades that I for sure want to jam into my list!

en_vv1Ue0pCiV.png
en_vVS4Y7cd0O.png
en_RuR7syJQRZ.png
en_OV6aL98P1I.png
en_zDazaciUcS.png
en_PLpxgzySyS.png
en_EfDxtmpS3k.png
en_noTBkQVis8.png
en_U9ygWvmTij.png
en_8m0lSh5iFH.png
en_fBVhl5KXOh.png
en_lOqGdUJLja.png
en_7Qpvu9CBPJ.png
en_nlJ8s68cUc.png
en_cHdfjxGH5P.png
en_bf4lWIUe5w.png
en_zSUxKmm2v4.png
en_INqEgvedTo.png
en_Gty2gddpih.png
en_6dL3vYNqqs.png
Thank you!!

Laz

Developer
Testing Results:
en_PLpxgzySyS.png

I have been running this for a year or so now (Ok, mine was just Tormenting Voice with 'Instant' written on it). Card is a good little role player and even if you can't hold up removal/counter magic, the flexibility of simply waiting to see how a board state evolves in order to determine what to discard really improves how the card feels.

Includes:
en_vv1Ue0pCiV.png
en_8m0lSh5iFH.png

A couple of easy flexible cards - while I want to see how Emry plays, she reads very nicely. I am also really keen to test most of the Adventures.

My other consideration is whether I want to lean into the 'draw your second card in a turn' theme. I really like a lot of the cards, and it gives me an excuse to increase the overall velocity of my list.

Testing Results:
en_PLpxgzySyS.png

I have been running this for a year or so now (Ok, mine was just Tormenting Voice with 'Instant' written on it). Card is a good little role player and even if you can't hold up removal/counter magic, the flexibility of simply waiting to see how a board state evolves in order to determine what to discard really improves how the card feels.

Includes:
en_vv1Ue0pCiV.png
en_8m0lSh5iFH.png

A couple of easy flexible cards - while I want to see how Emry plays, she reads very nicely. I am also really keen to test most of the Adventures.

My other consideration is whether I want to lean into the 'draw your second card in a turn' theme. I really like a lot of the cards, and it gives me an excuse to increase the overall velocity of my list.
I think Improbable Alliance and Faerie Vandal are definitely worth playing even if you don't expand the theme beyond them.

Modern Horizons also had a bunch of card-draw matters stuff in U/R:

I don't think this archetype has very deep Payoffs, but it's so deep on enablers that it's basically a free archetype if you want to add it. There's almost no opportunity cost with substantial benefits.

The only card I want to try for sure is Emry, but I'll see how other things feel after having played with them a bit.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So far, off the testing cards, Embercleave has been potentially too good, and Inquisitive Puppet has been underwhelming. Gingerbrute, Glass Casket, Grumgully, Scalding Cauldron, and Shambling Suit have all been gas :)

So far, off the testing cards, Embercleave has been potentially too good, and Inquisitive Puppet has been underwhelming. Gingerbrute, Glass Casket, Grumgully, Scalding Cauldron, and Shambling Suit have all been gas :)

I am not surprised at all that Inquisitive Puppet has been underwhelming for you. It looked super janky to me.

I'm glad Embercleave has been putting up results- that card is very interesting to me.

What did you take out for Grumgully? I'm kind of considering him in place of Rhythm of the Wild, but I'm not sure losing the ability to give a guy haste is better than giving +1/+1 counters to tokens.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What did you take out for Grumgully? I'm kind of considering him in place of Rhythm of the Wild, but I'm not sure losing the ability to give a guy haste is better than giving +1/+1 counters to tokens.
When testing cards, I just add them to the file. Only when it tests well will I look for a cut. That being said, I'm probably taking out Borborygmos. That looks like a weird cut, but I've found that the monocolor, tricolor, and artifact sections contain enough high cmc ramp payoffs, that I think RG doesn't need an additional one in its own section.

I'm not a fan of the non-Human clause on Grumgully and a few other ELD cards, when a significant fraction of red's beaters are Humans.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Even if Rythem is the better card, Gurmgully is infinitely more interesting.
Rythem even removes lines from your opponents fwiw

I'm adding these 4 cards for sure:

celd-275-giant-killer.jpg

I've been very happy with Goldmeadow Harrier, but this card just seems to be more interesting with more possible decussions and a cooler frame - all without really raising the powerlevel.

celd-295-beanstalk-giant (2).jpg

I hope the ramp part is not so weak that people don't play it, because I think the upside of a stupid giant later for free is preeeeetty neat.

celd-288-order-of-midnight (1).jpg

I was looking for a cool black 2 drop that can beat down. And I got one that's also a Gravedigger variant AND on of the most beautiful magic cards in existence. Yeah.

eld-146-thrill-of-possibility.jpg

I always wanted Tormenting Voice to be a little bit better. Thanks wizards.

There are a few more maybes, mostly adventures, but I'm biased since I'm so in love with that frame.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Current Adventures I'm running/considering:
brazenborrowerp.jpg
bonecrushergiantp.jpg
murderousriderp1.jpg
lovestruckbeastp.jpg
hypnoticspritep1.jpg
ardenvaletacticianp.jpg
rimrockknightp.jpg
faerieguidemotherp.jpg
foulmireknightp.jpg
emberethshieldbreakerp.jpg
giantkillerp.jpg
realmcloakedgiantp1.jpg

This mechanic is the truth people, even something as lowly as a 1/1 deathtouch with it is intriguing. It reminds me of evoke in that you can roll dice and make a cool card with this mechanic, but we've got modern design behind the wheels so there's less dross like offalsnout

Current Adventures I'm running/considering:
brazenborrowerp.jpg
bonecrushergiantp.jpg
murderousriderp1.jpg
lovestruckbeastp.jpg
hypnoticspritep1.jpg
ardenvaletacticianp.jpg
rimrockknightp.jpg
faerieguidemotherp.jpg
foulmireknightp.jpg
emberethshieldbreakerp.jpg
giantkillerp.jpg
realmcloakedgiantp1.jpg
This mechanic is the truth people, even something as lowly as a 1/1 deathtouch with it is intriguing. It reminds me of evoke in that you can roll dice and make a cool card with this mechanic, but we've got modern design behind the wheels so there's less dross like offalsnout
Oh for sure. Every adventure except for maybe Garenbrig Carver is playable in some cube format- which is not true for very many mechanics. Wizards did an amazing job balancing these. Adventure may very well be the first dudless mechanic in a very, very long time.

A 1/1 deathtouch you can cast over and over with Haakon, even.

But yeah, Adventure is like a better Evoke, and I didn't even know Evoke could be better. It doesn't hurt that the art is some of the best Magic has had in 20 years.

en_XrjxBIPqKd.png
en_HmmMPtiQ2S.png
en_7Qpvu9CBPJ.png
en_RuR7syJQRZ.png
en_c5GHm9YAgQ.png
en_n7OCnEfrzd.png
en_sdpNmkspqN.png
en_lfccYoZPHL.png
en_NLqazotCh6.png
en_zDazaciUcS.png
en_Irj9lme0Ku.png
en_eRI78mGSMw.png
en_hubzExcDrF.png
en_Fn7FGyVq4U.png
en_fcn6XlbgJw.png
en_uZBEZHSTFM.png
en_Gty2gddpih.png
en_6dL3vYNqqs.png
en_VB4mabuwDN.png
en_r63H1SBJVU.png

Also, ALL THE OTHER LANDS IN THE SET ARE NUTS, HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. I'm not sure how I'm gonna fit all these mono-colored lands I want to run from this set.

Other stuff that I like the look of
en_n7OCnEfrzd.png
en_sdpNmkspqN.png
en_hubzExcDrF.png
en_Fn7FGyVq4U.png
en_r63H1SBJVU.png
[/spoiler]

Also, ALL THE OTHER LANDS IN THE SET ARE NUTS, HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. I'm not sure how I'm gonna fit all these mono-colored lands I want to run from this set.

What's with these particular picks? All of these seem really weak compared to a number of the other options at your power level.

What's with these particular picks? All of these seem really weak compared to a number of the other options at your power level.

I... don't think they're weak? I don't know. Card evaluation is hard.

Vantress Gargoyle - UG has a bit of a top of library manipulation thing going on (or it did at one point... I'm not sure any of the pieces survived). I'm also trying to find a spot for Nephalia Drownyard, and a nice defensive creature that can turn into a beater late in the game just by playing Magic seems like something blue would be interested in.

Epic Downfall - This card just seems really strong. Like, constructed playable strong. I could easily be wrong, but exile is relevant and even aggressive decks have 3 drops.

Irencrag Pyromancer - You have to build around her, but she just seems insane if you do. Merfolk Looter bolts something every turn. Blue/red and black/red already have incidental card draw and they both love any bit of extra burn you can throw in there.

Syr Carah, the Bold - I'm astonished this card is an uncommon. You could bump her stats to 4/4 and she'd be an easy mythic. A pinger that also acts as a card advantage engine? You can just hit people with her to. AND she's a spell payoff.

Arcanist's Owl - Another build-around that gets really powerful if you do build around it. A Phantom Monster that draws a card on ETB is preeeeetty strong. I'm also considering adding a bit of Devotion back to the cube depending on what we get in Theros.

Now, I could easily be way off the mark on my evaluations (I'm much better at the end of a format than I am at the beginning of one), but I think each of these cards can hang with the rest of my cube just fine.

I'm not 100% sure on the Serpent, but I like having a scaling artifact threat that can attack and block well. Also, the +1/+1 counters further ties artifacts into green which is a nice bonus. Not a huge fan of the protection, but it doesn't feel oppressive since most of my removal is mono-colored.

I'm thrilled with both blue 3 drops as I always felt it was a weak spot for the color. These fit nicely into existing themes as well.

Gilded Goose seems like a fun 1 drop mana dork. I like that it still provides value in the later game and if it gets killed instantly.

Embercleave gives me an other sweet Welder target, encourages attacking and can kill out of nowhere. It acts like a combat trick which I miss in cube compared to regular limited.

I can't wait to try Rankle. He is especially powerful in multiplayer, but can bring a lot of hate your way. I do love playable mass discard cards for MP games as Thoughtseize and friends aren't really good in that setting.

The other cards are just good stuffy but give you lots of options to chose from.

A 3CC mana rock isn't great, but a one sided Timetwister sure is. It would take 3-4 turns to activate in my setting without working for it. The downside is that it makes you a huge target and it's not easy to defend against 2-3 other players. (kind of like Luminarch Ascension or Bloodchief Ascension)

I'm curious about Oko. I always like to have more "removal" for my Simic decks and this guy has bonus abilities. His ultimate is for from oppressive and food tokens can be useful for a bunch of synergies.

Most good black 2 drops either can't block or are really small. Piper can at least hold back early attackers and is a nice mana sink. I'm tempted not because I think it's great, but because other options suck.

The giant seems really good. I think I can get away with a few 5 mana wraths and the extra vigilance body is nice. You also have some fun plays of bouncing your guy to go back on an adventure if you want to get tricky.

The Great Henge does a lot of things and all of them seem sweet. Green naturally has a bunch of fatties so I'm not too worried about casting it. Cheating it out is also an option. I really like that green is slowly getting in on the artifact train!

Love the set. Some interesting designs that seem powerful, fun and can slot into different archetypes.

I'm going to test out all of the following cards:

en_vv1Ue0pCiV.png
en_lOqGdUJLja.png
en_8m0lSh5iFH.png
en_MMxRq0ED5D.png
en_noA5qBjGj7.png
en_fBVhl5KXOh.png
en_bf4lWIUe5w.png
en_UZOv6cZTkW.png
en_zDazaciUcS.png
en_Irj9lme0Ku.png
en_RIXLBiLgmb.png
en_g9dZuXY2JC.png
en_PLpxgzySyS.png
en_INqEgvedTo.png
en_9RQuApifml.png
en_oZAgJ1hknq.png

I was expecting more of a power down set, but this is the year that just keeps on giving. So many cool designs to try out. Adventures are great, fill in a lot of holes here and there that I wasn't too happy with previously. Black and Red are getting a lot of new toys to try out in my cube, the other colors are mostly getting support for existing archetypes and one-to-one swaps were more easy to come up with.

I'm conflicted on Questing Beast. I'm all for more ways to push aggressive strategies and planeswalker hate, which it does very well, but it's also just so generically powerful. My removal suite is at a high enough level that I don't think it'll be an issue, but I don't think it'll slot into the aggressive leaning R/G decks I'm envisioning and will instead just be a generically good Green 4 drop to deploy in any G/x deck. I wish it leaned more aggressive than just generic, would have been great to just have another Vengevine analog. I think it'd like this a lot more as a 4/3 but I see why they needed the 4/4 to push it for Constructed play.

Also trying out full Castle cycle + Island that puts instant/sorcery back on top of library for my ULD.