General Extra turn effects

To me, extra turn effects have always felt like cantrips that give you an extra attack and, in the case of Time Walk, extra mana.

What is the power level of Time Warp, though? How does it scale with the environment? What decks want to run it?

I've never felt like Time Warp was worth a spot in my decks, but maybe I ran it in the wrong ones? Is it an "aggro" card? Does it do anything interesting or it just randomly good or bad depending on the game, with no choices involved?

I mostly agree with your sentiments regarding Time Warp (not really impactufl enough to want to run, and pretty low agency). The extra turn effects I've found to be impactful are the ones that shuffle themselves in, giving a drafter a neat "Lab Maniac" style infinite combo. I'm currently on Nexus of Fate in my own cube, but have had plenty of fun going off with Beacon of Tomorrows in a friend's cube.

it’s just not very impactful most of the time if you’re in a fair environment. time walk is good because it has a “fail state” of explore. i don’t want to pay 5 mana to explore unless i’ve got some serious synergy going on, and when i do, the game becomes a nongame pretty much on the spot.

Having activated and triggered abilities on the board gives it some value. That would include looters, suspend cards, stuff that makes tokens and counters, and of course planeswalkers.

Never felt like running Time Warp or his other cost friends but I've always felt like

Might fit somewhere, and could make some fun interaction, like, "yeah you could win, but it'll also be cool if you don't"
But I never get to run them because my drafters skip over them too much :rolleyes:

Like @sigh mentions, the Labman style wins are the most interesting to me in regards to extra turns.

I do think there could be potential build around with something like The Mirari Conjecture, but how fun is it really to take 3+ extra turns.

I also dislike the play patterns of Eternal Witness loops you can accidentally fall into with most blink cards.

Nexus is an all star in my cube. Being more expensive and a self shuffle makes it harder to abuse in a midrange value way. So the only decks that get to abuse are the ones that have heavy self mill. It has value in my cube even if you never cast it. It’s a super unique card that I really enjoy.