Card/Deck Fencing Ace

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I run Gift of Orzhova!

There is not much to say about it. Its a high impact enchant creature with no safety net mechanic. It puts tremendous pressure on the opponent, but if the creature it is on is removed before it had a chance to do some work, you are at a huge disadvantage.

I know some people don't like cards with such binary outcomes, but I like mixing in a few of these cards.

I also run the destroyer of Mirage/Visions/Weatherlight limited Empyrial Armor and overhyped Mythic Angelic Destiny so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

CML

Contributor
Chan: yes (esp with Squawkies)

Chris: funny you say that, one of my favorite things about pike is that it doesn't require that much work to support

of course i'll say "with the lack of equipment that is neither unplayable nor stupid like skullclamp you gotta run both!!1" but you knew that

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It totally doesn't, and a regular old +3/+0 is totally sweet, but I love playing it in the token deck where all my dudes are instants/sorceries anyways, and giving some dude like 8 power

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Chan: yes (esp with Squawkies)

Geeeeez, I never even thought of that. As a fellow hawk lover myself, you've convinced me to track down a copy of this quirky piece of equipment.

I run Pike too, and with this there might be enough good equipment to finally axe the last few Swords, once and for all.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
On a related note, is Empyrial Plate a card in cube?
I don't see why not. It trades one mana of upfront cost for colorlessness and re-usability. Your cube should have to be extraordinarily fast for this card to not be relevant.

Now, Empyrial Armor often plays out as "have removal or I win with this shadow dude/flier" so you certainly could make a non-power level argument to not include it.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Have any of you tried Moldervine Cloak? I see it in some cube lists. Is it actually there to enable some other graveyard deck? I don't want to make people think there's an archetype that there isn't.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nah, 2 cards is never enough to deck you.
It's essentially a worse rancor you need to give up a draw to regrow.

It's alright, I really wish it came back on landfall or something. Better with more support, obviously

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ive seen it here and there, and it's nice that it mostly solves the removal problem.
Still horrible against bounce, but what can you do :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I think I'm taking the plunge on this guy, maybe even writing a primer.

We know the synergy between Double Strike and pump spells, but there's an overlap in red with guys that care about power:
104.jpg
108.jpg
73.jpg

They also have sever good pump effects:
61.jpg
145.jpg
107.jpg

There's also quite a bit of overlap with heroic here:
113.jpg
76.jpg
186.jpg
12.jpg
26.jpg
36.jpg

Also quite a few good multicolor cards:
148.jpg
194.jpg
167.jpg

Anyone else have any favorites?

Bonus:
152.jpg
277.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Image.ashx

This card double triggers heroic, can add up to 8 damage over 2 turns on offense with a double striker and, perhaps most critically, can be used defensively while still providing an offensive boost next turn. In (admittedly limited) play, it has been extremely fun.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
One Two Punch: Adding a Double Strike Theme
So in an effort to change things up in my cube, I’ve decided to replace the GWr token theme I had with something a little stranger: A double strike deck. The two decks share a lot of overlap cards, but double strike shares additional synergy with pump spells/equipment.

So here’s the basic cards. Depending on the size of your cube, you may want to double up on a few of these, namely the cheaper creatures. Waiting until turn 4 to start attacking doesn't work too well.

Hound might seem a little loose, but I’m willing to bet most people’s red 4 drop section has been rather stagnant since the addition of hellrider. Mix it up a little guys.

The reason for my swapping out the tokens decks for this theme is because quite a few of the support cards overlap between the two archetypes: Fencing Ace gets just as powerful as Gather the Townsfolk with Glorious Anthem in play, after all.

Now here’s the initial warning: if you want to support this archetype, the removal in your cube will have to get worse (or at the bare minimum slower). The whole reason things like auras and pump spells suck in cube is because 9 times out of 10, the creature just gets doom bladed in response. Or Swords. Or Pathed. Or into the roiled. Or…

You get the point. A lot of those bounce spells become significantly worse by being sorceries, but try out Undo every once in a while. Card is powerful.

Anyways, back on topic. Now that we have a host of fun creatures to suit up, now it’s time to find ways to crack in for lethal. Add a smattering of cards from these categories, or at least realize they just got better in your cube:

And a few Misc cards like Varolz, the Scar-Stripped, Stonewright, Kessig Wolf Run, Edric, spymaster of trest and Dreg Mangler. In the same vein as Edric, try Warriors' Lesson, Mask of Memory and Keen Sense

As well as pump spells. This part needs a whole section.

First, the small few you might be playing already:

Now a few of those are probably a maybe. Here’s a few more you might want to try:

Titan's Strength
Brute Force
Sylvan Might
Prey's Vengeance
Predator’s Strike
Briarhorn
Dragon Mantle
Slaughterhorn
Pyrewild Shaman
Wrecking Ogre

Also, to tie this theme to red a little more, there’s a lot of good synergy with red cards that care about the power of your creatures:

Now I’ll be the first to admit soul’s fire is probably going too deep, but doubling or tripling up on Spikeshot Elder is not out of the question if you want this to be a deck, and not just some incidental synergy that happens to come together now and again.

It’s also worth noting the impact that actually running combat tricks has on your limited environment. Combat becomes kinda rote and by-the-numbers if people know the only downside to attacking is a haste guy from your side. If adding Giant Growth makes games more interesting, I’m all for it. Remember your cube is a limited environment too, not just a giant collection of cards.

Shake it up every now and again.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Alright, looks good. Don't front page it yet, I'm gonna take one last look over it tomorrow morning since I have some notes stashed at home, but at least now I think all the links are working.
Apparently it's really hard to spell Soul's Fire :p