General Fight Club

It's between a configuration of two cards each. Would you run these two:

Or eather these two:

Oh, the card next to the Vamp is this new gal:

636651049152725742.png

Not really a fan of any but Stitcher`s Supplier, I wish she had been in Shadows over Innistrad because she looks like one hell of a delirium enabler! I might slot her into to my Innistrad theme cube I've been talking about building for ages now.

I'm really torn on my Dimir section, I keep cutting and re-adding Tezzeret, Agent if Bolas because I'm the only one who ever drafts artifact decks. The more difficult decision with him off the table then is to round out my 3 guild slot section of Baleful Strix and Hostage Taker with either:

I've played with Silumgar in the past and really enjoyed the flexibility of his ability and his overall powerlevel. However, I feel like I'm at critical mass for steal effects atm. The Scarab God on the other hand is very unique, supports graveyard shenanigans, zombies, pod, and wildfire decks incredibly well, on top of fitting into curve slots that are typically rather barren. I just worry that he will too often be a one card wrecking crew that is too hard to interact with.

Very interesting, kind of makes me wish I had a higher density of zombies atm otherwise I'd give them a test spin for sure. I actually have a fair amount of experience with Ancient Excavation! It's a very cool card that I discovered for my edh decks from your cube actually. Basic land cycling is one of my favourite mechanics, unfortunately I just couldn't convince my group to run a relatively expensive card quality spell when I'm running such powerful monoblue options. It's a card that's always at the top of my considerations though every time I test adding more multicolor slots. It's such a sweet card, I'm jealous of how well suited it is to your environment.

Honestly how did I miss Gisa and Geralf. I recently rebuilt my cube, and UB ended up being sort of self-mill and soft-zombie focused (a few matters cards but a good couple of zombies). This is like the perfect signaling card.

Although what zombies do you wanna bring back with these two bad boys/girls?

I can see two main directions, the first just grabbing your solid zombie value cards (would work great in a pod deck) such as your Skinrender, Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Custodi Lich, Fleshbag Marauder, Lifebane Zombie etc. The second option would be to help fuel an aristocrats package by bringing back Carrion Feeder and fodder for it, Plague Belcher, and helping Cryptbreaker achieve its critical mass to become a draw engine. Additionally a devotion package ft. Geralf's Messenger and Gray Merchant of Asphodel would fit into both themes, and Sidisi Brood Tyrant makes for a wonderful self mill enabler.

Yeah I think those are basically the directions you take. I went for the former, with primary playoff in Skinrender and Fleshbag Marauder. Marauder is a cute loop to get excited over.

Knight of Meadowgrain because it's one of my favorite cards.
Agree with Chris that Lone Rider is both a singal, enabler, and payoff.
The first strike on Knight makes it able to dominate combat on x/2's which I like.

On a side note: What are the best payoff cards for lifegain

I only run this one, which is good in Tokens/Aggro because it enables itself:

I also used to run this guy:

Was pretty strong, actually even too much in terms of stats while having super narrow cost. But I can recommend him if you support the archetype.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
There aren't that many payoff cards and most of them are kinda the same (Karlov is flashy but just a big Ajani's Pridemate) and/or not very good. Some of them (Ayli, Archangel of Thune) are strong and don't require lifegain to work, which is often what you want from a card that's intended to push a certain deck but it means that it feels incidental and doesn't give the deck an identity: I'm more likely to run Archangel of Thune with a Scavenging Ooze and a Courser of Kruphix or whatever rather than going off with some complicated Rube Goldberg machine.

In the same vein as Greed (or Erebos I suppose) there's Arguel's Blood Fast, which has impressed a lot in Standard and lets you quickly pivot between the different roles a deck like this is likely to have. Also consider Fire Covenant (a really fun OHKO with Hornet Nest or Boros Reckoner etc) or, if you like Divinity but not its cost, Blood Baron of Vizkopa