General Fight Club

I did know about the chain of origin of the cube.

Is it so wrong to say that even though you didn’t come up with the original idea I still think you are the best designer for that cube?

Will this only leave a slight bump? Isn’t it twice as thick as a normal Magic card + a little extra from the double sided tape?

The sleeves I use are pretty hefty/thick (Dragon Shield mattes), even compared to magic card thickness. The sleeve plastic creates a sloped bump down from the top of the bump that makes it slightly less noticeable. The most important thing, though, is that the bumps are small and are in corners of the card not often touched, at least in the case of P/T boxes and mana cost. It's not nearly as close as stickers to uniform thickness, but aesthetically it's near perfect. Novice players might eventually notice the bump, but likely not until their finger passes over it a few times.

vs

I want a spell related card that works with the GY. I am currently running Chandra, Acolyte of Flame and would like a second effect to support it and blue Snapcaster variants.

The Goblin seems a lot safer, but the floor is also lower. I've heard a good review of Wildfire Devils (from the Solely Singleton podcast), but that's it. It seems a lot more swingy and vulnerable, but it can snowball nicely. I also really like the cheaper mana cost obviously.

I also play multiplayer so that might make the Devils too inconsistent (however, most cube spells are good regardless, so I'm not sure!)

I'm really not a fan of high equip costs in general, as they are just too hard to use in a reasonable time frame if you want to play on curve or they restrict your ability to double spell later in the game.

Which is why I vastly prefer the blade over the warhammer. It is a powerful card, but I like cards that entice players to go the aggro route. If you are looking for lower power level equipment than Heirloom Blade I like:

I once won a game I was about to lose nect turn by suspending Greater Gargadon, tap some lands, sacrifice everything to the gargadon except the Warhammer, Equip and swing for leathal trample lifelink damage.

While this is a fun story, it is also evidence for the incredible swingyness the hammer brings to the table. It shuts down every racing situation and feels often unbeatable, once you have the mana to equip it freely. Maybe a sweeter design would be let it just grant trample and give you 3 life on etb. As it is, I'd play the blade over the hammer for the sake of your environment.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not a fan of Loxodon Warhammer either. I mean, it is slow, but once it gets going, it feels so unbeatable. Anything turns into a clock and a huge life buffer. Racing is not an option, and because of the trample you often can't even effectively block.

I dislike both of those. The Blade is a strong equip card from the buff and I'm not a fan of giving free card advantage on top of that.

To some degree I think equipments have to pull a certain weight to be worth the investment. Equipment can be really strong if you have the mana and board state to move it around between attackers and blockers, but it's also an entire card spent on something that could just be dead.

vs

I'm currently running the latter, but I'm not sure if it's the right card given my power level. Thoughts?

I think Heirloom Blade is definitely the better choice. The main decks that want equipment like this are aggressive strategies. These decks want lower equip costs so they can chain multiple spells or abilities together in a turn. Loxodon Warhammer forces an aggro player to spend an entire turn playing and an entire turn equipping their card. In fact, equipping the hammer can even be a time walk if the opponent removes the creature in response. While the Trample ability is nice, it doesn't make up for the high initial cost of playing and activation.

In addition, lifelink is a very swingy, often un-fun mechanic. It can completely turn a game on it's head in ways which are not desirable for an equipment. This is one of the main reasons why Batterskull is so insanely powerful- life gain on a big stick is good.

While Heirloom Blade doesn't provide trample, it has many advantages. The blade has a much lower equip cost than the hammer and can help aggro decks recover from board wipes since it will often draw them another creature. For these reasons, I think Heirloom Blade is a superior choice to Loxodon Warhammer in most environments.

Which of the following 5c payoff in a set with a lot of artifacts and big mana spells seems more exciting/tempting to draft early?

Tempo+card advantage versus tempo+dragon.

5c payoff already includes:

I really like Maelstrom Archangel here because she's also a strong reanimator target for the entomb / pod / sneak attack axis of decks if you support those too. (Best line I've seen with her in my cube was Sneak her in, connect, drop Ulamog who now won't die EOT.)

Nexus is a strong card but will only be of interest to someone who is already super deep on a 5C goodstuff deck, Maelstrom will be interesting to anyone who has ways to cheat creatures into play regardless of color(s). Obviously if you generally expect decks to pay the listed price for everything, that'll be less relevant.

Honestly, neither one seems like something I'd draft early. Getting to play sweet off-color cards is generally reward enough, so the three artifacts you have should be fine to promote "true 5-color" decks.

Just my $.02

I like Maelstrom Archangel, but she's lower power than she looks. Great when you can get an ultimatum with her though.
I don't think anyone is this high-powered at riptide lab, but this may be a good incentive for 5 color and reanimator
58ce16da-30d3-49ca-9c85-2dcb599f8913.jpg

This is a promo, so proxy only (also can't find a smaller image size :oops:)

Oh ya, you gotta go like 450+. I forgot other people don't just fill the biggest box they can find with as many shitty cards as they can and call it a cube.

I really enjoy having a 360 card cube because it forces me to actually make sure I'm not running a bunch of narrow cards looking for just one deck; but I have been considering bumping up a bit with some rotating "rare" slots for the single-card-strategy build arounds like Jeskai Ascendancy that are broadly supported by the rest of the cube but aren't always something someone wants to draft. (something like, a 384 cube with 48 "50-50s" or something, being a mix of replaceable big finishers and single-card-strategies.)

on-topic:

(Burning Vengeance is in, Black has the usual Gravecrawler package, the cube is color-shifted to WRGBU* - so Jund will have access to both effects, but this will determine whether Naya/Jeskai or Sultai/Esper has it) I am currently trialing both, but realistically there's only room for one or the other long term.

\* reverse Red and Green on the 'real' wheel and that's my color pairs