General Fight Club

It still goes firmly into green, because I can't think of a green deck (in the majority of cubes) that wants to be mono-green.

For a card that's even "more" green, I've been favoring nature's lore recently, which helps Gx decks keep their main fixing pivot in green, rather than in the other colors. Nature's Lore also puts the forest into play untapped, which is a huge upside imo.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What monocolor decks exist in your cubes? Recently I've only seen mono black in mine, but I'm sure mono red is possible.

What's the tier list after that?

What monocolor decks exist in your cubes? Recently I've only seen mono black in mine, but I'm sure mono red is possible.

What's the tier list after that?

I'm listing everything I can remember that has been drafted and done well:

Mono-{W} Aggro
Mono-{W} Tokens
Mono-{U} Control
Mono-{U} Tempo
Mono-{B} Aggro
Mono-{B} Sacrifice
Mono-{B} Control
Mono-{R} Aggro
Mono-{R} Goblins
Mono-{G} Ramp

Anticipated, but I have yet to see it:

Mono-{W} Equipment
Mono-{G} Landfall

Falkenrath is the significantly more powerful card. More immediate power and haste allows for more immediate impact on the gamestate as it can threaten lethal burst damage or eat an opposing planeswalker far faster than the Predator. Falk is also much stronger in the face of removal as not only does haste allow it to have an impact before a sorcery speed option can interact with it, but it also doesn't tap when it becomes indestructible so even if your opponent held up removal for a lightning bolt you can kindly tell them to eat shit when you sacrifice another dude to protect her.

Falkenrath Aristocrat more because it has haste, doesn't grow unless you specifically have humans, and is all-around easier to deal with. Immerstrum Predator snowballs out of control really quickly, and I don't find that play pattern to lead to good gameplay.
Can the predator really snowball all that quickly? You can usually only get one tap effect per turn cycle. Is that once per turn still too snowball-y in your experience?

I could red decks having a harder time dealing with the predator since it can put itself out of burn range after just one or two activations, compared to the Aristocrat being in burn range for significantly longer, and being weak even to things like flame Jab

landofMordor

Administrator
Falkenrath is the significantly more powerful card. More immediate power and haste allows for more immediate impact on the gamestate as it can threaten lethal burst damage or eat an opposing planeswalker far faster than the Predator. Falk is also much stronger in the face of removal as not only does haste allow it to have an impact before a sorcery speed option can interact with it, but it also doesn't tap when it becomes indestructible so even if your opponent held up removal for a lightning bolt you can kindly tell them to eat shit when you sacrifice another dude to protect her.
Maybe I'm misreading, but Predator does allow you to sacrifice two dudes at once. Tapping isn't a part of its cost.

That said, I'm still on Falkenrath, easily.

Predator snowballs with anything getting sacrificed + on any attack, while Aristocrat only when a Human is sacrificed. I believe in most cubes Aristocrat represents a faster clock, but Predator is more "snowbally". The extra toughness makes it much less likely you'll need to sacrifice something when it gets blocked, so it matter less that you have sacrifice synergies.

I think Aristocrat is more interesting, and though both cards are made to offer less counterplay to the opponent, Predator highlights that even more by growing easily.

Predator only gets a counter when the tap resolves, right? So max one counter a turn barring untap abilities regardless of sac quantity. You can't like blast 5 counters onto it in one go.

Regardless I comprehend the above sentiments loud and clear! I see that Aristocrat is likely the better pick :)

Maybe I'm misreading, but Predator does allow you to sacrifice two dudes at once. Tapping isn't a part of its cost.

That said, I'm still on Falkenrath, easily.

Predator's protection ability taps itself. last sentence on the card. If you go to combat and want to smash in and your opponent casts go for the throat they can fog your attacker, something which never happens with Falkenrath Aristocrat who will baring bounce or exile removal (or you have no things to sacrifice), careen into your opponents dome for some delicious nutritious damage.

Falkenrath is WAY stronger. To a point that could be detrimental, depending what you're after. It protects AND buffs itself at the same time and can still attack. That can be very irritating, depending on your removal suite and your desired power level/format speed.

vs

Both tick the right boxes for archetype support, but there are things about both I dislike:

Magda: mostly trinket text about dwarves and dragons
Aether Chaser: only energy card I run, first strike makes it never trade in combat

vs

Both tick the right boxes for archetype support, but there are things about both I dislike:

Aether Chaser: only energy card I run, first strike makes it never trade in combat
I think Magda is more "elegant" because she doesn't have anything to do with energy. However, I think Aether Chaser is a better card in a vacuum, even without other energy support. I think it was even good enough for @SirFunchalot's cube when he was still running mono-red aggro, although that may have been a different user from his discord.

vs

What ground are you trying to cover with this slot is it more about the artifact synergy?

I think the chaser is much more elegant here. Yes, it may be your only energy card, but a beginner will read it like any other card with a unique counter, like Serrated Arrows for example. Magda might suggest a Dwarf tribal theme. It caring about a specific type of artifacts (alongside dwarfs and dragons) also makes her stand out less for a drafter interested in artifact synergies.

And I don't think a bit of first strike is problematic.

btw, aren't there c and [ci tag buttons anymore?

Last edited:
vs

Aether Chaser is a significantly stronger card, first strike is a huge deal on a body this weak for its cost actually a little relevant and coupled with the bonus 1/1 I think it helps push damage more reliably. Both have a good bit of additive distraction though, but Magda has more.

Only half jokingly. Unanswered magda can cause runaway games, so probably the energy card. Not sure either are great options. Why do you want an artifact creating two drop?
Because my red section only has Rune of Speed and Shrapnel Blast as 2 drops that go in the artifacts deck, and they aren't really 2 drops either. I guess I could go with an artifacts payoff here too, but my red has enough of them already, and I'm looking for something that is good in other decks as well.